Mattel '66 Batman TV series figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer is really quite obvious...it's Mattel :)

Other than that horrible Total Justice crap they are pulling out their arse, they cancelled all their DC 6" lines.

This was apparently only planned to be 2 waves and done. I'd venture we'll still see Batgirl at some point though.

The answer is really quite obvious...it's Mattel :)

Other than that horrible Total Justice crap they are pulling out their arse, they cancelled all their DC 6" lines.

This was apparently only planned to be 2 waves and done. I'd venture we'll still see Batgirl at some point though.

THat's right- they just cancelled 6" lines......so that is the reason. Why..?
Guess MattyCollector can continue the lines at double the price.:slap

Apparently collectors aren't buying like they use to and retailers aren't stocking collectables like they use to. So Mattel has slowly ratcheted down all their 6" lines except Total Heroes and MOTU.

As a matter of fact, this is the first 6" figures Mattel has put on retail shelves in almost 3 years outside of the movie figures...which are under scaled. All their collector lines moved to MattyCollector and died a slow death.

They were not getting enough support for Ghostbusters, Watchmen or DCIEs....so Matty cancelled them all. To be fair, Watchmen was only planned as a 6 figure line on MattyCollector....'66 Bats was only planned for the 2 waves currently available.

So now they produce one main stay 6" line at retail, Total Justice. And one main line on MattyCollector, MOTU.

Apparently collectors aren't buying like they use to and retailers aren't stocking collectables like they use to. So Mattel has slowly ratcheted down all their 6" lines except Total Heroes and MOTU.

As a matter of fact, this is the first 6" figures Mattel has put on retail shelves in almost 3 years outside of the movie figures...which are under scaled. All their collector lines moved to MattyCollector and died a slow death.

They were not getting enough support for Ghostbusters, Watchmen or DCIEs....so Matty cancelled them all. To be fair, Watchmen was only planned as a 6 figure line on MattyCollector....'66 Bats was only planned for the 2 waves currently available.

So now they produce one main stay 6" line at retail, Total Justice. And one main line on MattyCollector, MOTU.

Wow...demise of the DC action figures I guess-wonder how ALL the figures are selling at retail like SW, IM and Avengers?

None are making the profit margins needed to continue unscathed. All the manufacturers have switched gears. They are pushing mostly 5 POA figures in various scales...completely not collector focused. Even Marverl Legends has died again as a brand. It will now be absorbed into the Legends lines based on the movie properties...which is the only collector marketable approach that retailers are willing to support. So now the Marvel Legends comic versions will be peppered into the Marvel Legends movie lines.
Hasbro has also all but cancelled the highly articulated 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line. It's limping along to it inevitable demise as well IMHO.

Mattel tossed in the towel with DCUCs 3 years ago. I misspoke earlier. They actually had 6" product on the shelf, very briefly, since they cancelled DCUCs. They produced several lines of the DC unlimited line and Batman unlimited lines. Mainly showcasing the Nu52 designs, video game versions of DC characters and a few classics versions tossed in here and there. Some figures sold very well while others didn't seem as well received. So retailers stopped ordering apparently and now Mattel will only be making 6" figures at retail that look like enlarged super articulated Fisher-Price figures. They might released a few figs for DCIEs that were shown at SDCC but that is still up in the air.

Not a very good time to be a 6" figure collector. Even Hasbro has Marvel Legends figures that were shown at SDCC that they are not sure if and when they will be released.

None are making the profit margins needed to continue unscathed. All the manufacturers have switched gears. They are pushing mostly 5 POA figures in various scales...completely not collector focused. Even Marverl Legends has died again as a brand. It will now be absorbed into the Legends lines based on the movie properties...which is the only collector marketable approach that retailers are willing to support. So now the Marvel Legends comic versions will be peppered into the Marvel Legends movie lines.
Hasbro has also all but cancelled the highly articulated 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line. It's limping along to it inevitable demise as well IMHO.

Mattel tossed in the towel with DCUCs 3 years ago. I misspoke earlier. They actually had 6" product on the shelf, very briefly, since they cancelled DCUCs. They produced several lines of the DC unlimited line and Batman unlimited lines. Mainly showcasing the Nu52 designs, video game versions of DC characters and a few classics versions tossed in here and there. Some figures sold very well while others didn't seem as well received. So retailers stopped ordering apparently and now Mattel will only be making 6" figures at retail that look like enlarged super articulated Fisher-Price figures. They might released a few figs for DCIEs that were shown at SDCC but that is still up in the air.

Not a very good time to be a 6" figure collector. Even Hasbro has Marvel Legends figures that were shown at SDCC that they are not sure if and when they will be released.

Well at $9.99 no wonder the articulated 3 3/4" figures don't sell- outrageous. Yeah noticed the crop of non articulated low detail figures at $5.99...seriously for kids only.
Guess action figure collecting may be imploding finally after 20 years of post comic book implotion.

Yet at the same time, DC Collectibles is going from strength to strength.

They've recently been ramping up production of 6"/7" action figures, producing more new lines, adding much, much more articulation and continuing to produce figures for their deluxe figure line.

Where Mattel (and others) dropped the ball, DCC seem to have picked it up and run with it. I think a lot of collectors who previously had no time for DCC are really starting to look at them differently now.

So while it's not a good time to be a 6" collector where other companies are concerned, it's actually the best time to be a DCC collector.

You're right. DCC is trying to fill the void. Only time will tell if they can or not. Hopefully they won't be plagued by cheap plastic and inconsistent scales like before.

I'm an ex-DC collectibles fan. I left when Mattel launched DCUCs. My issue with them is if they will focus on more Nu52 and video game stuff or will they produce the classic looks too. If they are smart, they would hire the 4HM and relaunch the DCUCs line under their brand to catch those fans. I think that line would do much better using their business model as opposed to Mattel's.

Afterall, it's a collectors line so it needs to be sold like one. The retail market is dead (other than SW Black Series) and MattyCollector was an EPIC FAIL in terms of all DC product sold there.

The DCUCs 2 packs = FAIL
JLU = FAIL
DC Retro Figures = FAIL
DCIE Subscription = FAIL

Well that is GREAT news!
Need a Batcycle, Batboat next year with Batgirl, Alfred, Egghead, King Tut, etc..
Well one can wish!

yep! count on Batgirl for sure!

Mr Freeze,Egghead,King tut,all should be good

That would be awesome!

I can understand scaling back on 6" retail merchandise but going the full elimination route seems to be a complete alienation of the fans. Yeah, moms and kids aren't buying too many $15-$20 super hero figures...but collectors still do!

Finally found the Batmobile today at TRU! Had my choice of one with a pristine box but paint on the back window or one that was perfect but with a slightly crushed box. Chose the latter. I'm not a boxed collector, but the box is nice. Not that I will see it again for a while, my wife made me put it away for Christmas!

WOOHOO! Still going!

attachment.php

Woohoohoo!

About to order my standard Cesar Joker, but this is cool. I still want to see a Batgirl despite the mass of people to don't. Also want to see more Rogues Gallery but don't think we can count on that.

Back