Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2024 Amazon Prime TV Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatHookGekko

Super Freak
Reaction score

Mr. & Mrs. Smith is an American television series created by Francesca Sloane and Donald Glover. Inspired by the 1996 series and 2005 film of the same name, the series was premiered on February 2, 2024, on Amazon Prime Video.....Two strangers independently agree to become agents for a mysterious organization with the cover of married couple "John" and "Jane" Smith. The couple must work through missions as their espionage skills and developing relationships are put to the test.

Cast
Donald Glover as John Smith / Michael
Maya Erskine as Jane Smith / Alana
Alexander Skarsgård as First Other John
Eiza González as First Other Jane
John Turturro as Eric Shane
Sharon Horgan as Gavol Martin
Billy Campbell as Parker Martin
Sarah Paulson as Therapist
Parker Posey as Second Other Jane
Wagner Moura as Second Other John
With Ron Perlman as Toby Hellinger
And Paul Dano as Harris Materbach

On February 12, 2021, it was announced that a TV series reboot based on the original film, created by and starring Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, with Francesca Sloane as co-creator and showrunner, would premiere on Prime Video in 2022.... Waller-Bridge exited the project in September 2021 due to creative differences with Glover....

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an 89% approval rating, with an average rating of 7.6/10, based on 101 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Building on the basic premise of its source material, Mr. & Mrs. Smith anchors its spy hijinks in a relationship drama fueled by the chemistry between its charming leads." On Metacritic, the series holds a weighted average score of 76 out of 100, based on 38 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". On February 9, 2024, it was announced the series had become one of Prime Video's top five new series debuts ever in terms of total U.S. viewers.

(Where Do I Begin) Love Story Lyrics

[Verse 1]
Where do I begin?
To tell the story of how great a love can be
The sweet love story that is older than the sea
The simple truth about the love he brings to me
Where do I start?

[Verse 2]
Like a summer rain
That cools the pavement with a patent leather shine
He came into my life and made the living fine
And gave a meaning to this empty world of mine
He fills my heart

[Chorus]
He fills my heart with very special things
With angels' songs, with wild imaginings
He fills my soul with so much love
That anywhere I go, I'm never lonely
With him along, who could be lonely?
I reach for his hand, it's always there

[Verse 3]
How long does it last?
Can love be measured by the hours in a day?
I have no answers now, but this much I can say
I'm going to need him till the stars all burn away
And he'll be there

[Chorus]
He fills my heart with very special things
With angels' songs, with wild imaginings
He fills my soul with so much love
That anywhere I go, I'm never lonely
With him along, who could be lonely?
I reach for his hand, it's always there

[Verse 4]
How long does it last?
Can love be measured by the hours in a day?
I have no answers now, but this much I can say
I'm going to need him till the stars all burn away
And he'll be there

Donald Glover and Maya Erskine on Real-Life Marriage, Professional Divorce and When to Walk Away

.....Glover did eventually watch Mr. & Mrs. Smith, mostly out of curiosity. “And then I hit my brother up and was like, ‘What the **** is this?’ ” he recalls. His brother, Stephen, who’s written with him on both Atlanta and Swarm, told him he was simply watching it wrong. “He’s like, ‘It’s a good date movie. Who cares if they did it well?’ Everybody gets to pretend to be Brad or Angelina, and you go home holding hands like, ‘We’re not a bad team.’ And he’s right.” But what if there were another way, he wondered. He enlisted Francesca “Fran” Sloane, a writer on Atlanta, and they reconceived it as a romance drama that masquerades as a spy series. Their Smiths would be thrust together — given a marriage license, a Manhattan brownstone and strict orders to not #### up....

Initially, Fleabag’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge — who’d co-starred with Glover in Solo: A Star Wars Film — was attached to co-write and star. But that didn’t work out, so they recast her role with PEN15 creator-star Maya Erskine. She and Glover had never even met, but both got their start at NYU’s Tisch School (Glover, 40, a few years ahead of 36-year-old Erskine). Now, nearly two years later, their eight-episode first season has dropped on Amazon Prime Video, featuring a dizzying array of impressive guest stars .... and the kind of travel budget that would make any bookkeeper sweat.

GLOVER Absolutely. I mean, as a man, it’s going to be different, what’s expected of me. But with the film, it’s like, who can’t fall in love with Angelina and Brad? With our show, you have to be vulnerable enough to have people ask the question, like, “Can I be loved? Can I be accepted?” And I’m shirtless in this ****, and I’m not ******* Brad Pitt. .... I think what happened was, well, number one, I didn’t know what I was getting out of it. I felt like I knew what she was getting out of it, and I didn’t feel like she was being honest, necessarily, about what she was getting out of it. I was thinking about it in such a silly way, which I see now. Now I realize, yeah, maybe she’s gaining some stuff, but she’s also losing a lot of stuff. And we eventually had an honest talk and she was like, “I’m a traditional woman.” And when she said that, some part of me was like, “And I want to help you be that.” Whatever she needs me to be, that makes me happy. Especially nowadays, finding trust is so hard, and the fact that we have this and that we can even argue about it and still be like, “But I love you” — I mean, how many people have that?

ERSKINE There’s something really nice about choosing to stay with the one that you’ve chosen and keep growing. And the other thing is, we both had kids before getting married. And to me, that’s the big union. I mean, we’re together for life, no matter what. But then I got married last year, and I remember it feeling incredibly serious in the best way.

GLOVER It’s a very romantic thing to be like, “Oh, I can be your knight in shining armor and you’re letting me, you’re being vulnerable for me.” And we just kept talking about those kinds of things on this show because we were all getting married.... It’s funny, in the Atlanta writers room, we were all anti-marriage.

(You sent a file of your trauma? )

ERSKINE It was more like, “If you have any anecdotes or things you want to infuse in Jane, here’s a couple of scripts to see what there is.” I sent so many pages.

GLOVER But she’s good at that, obviously. You watch PEN15.

ERSKINE But it’s also harder when it isn’t just you — when it includes your partner, you have to figure out the boundaries.

(Before Maya was attached to this show, her role was supposed to be played by Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who was going to co-create. Maya, you’re a creator, too, but you chose not to write here …You rarely see two auteurs collaborate. At what point did it become clear that it wasn’t going to work with Waller-Bridge? )

GLOVER I think because we were friends and I really liked Phoebe and we’d worked together … It’s a divorce in a weird way. You’re like, “Oh ####, this should have worked.” And this is just me, being honest, but I think a good relationship is one where you don’t waver from the extremely uncomfortable. And I don’t know if we were ever going to get to a place where we could be completely brutal to each other. ....I don’t know. It might’ve just been cultural. You’ve got to think, Fleabag was written entirely by her, they don’t really do writers rooms in the U.K. And I look back at Atlanta, and we built a culture where we could say mean things to each other or be like, “That idea is kind of [crap],” and then we’d laugh. You weren’t afraid to say something — but we also had the right to roast you. It’s just how we got the laughs.

ERSKINE But that’s not every writers room.

GLOVER You’re right. It was special.

(And you never got to that place with Waller-Bridge?)

GLOVER I don’t think we ever felt comfortable enough with each other. And that’s OK. That’s what happens when you’re two captains. It’s like, “This is how I run my ship.” “Well, this is how I run my ship.” And it’s such a big idea, this show, I don’t think it can have two captains. I mean, she rewrote the pilot, and I saw her script and I was like, “It’s definitely not my style,” but if she’d done it with her in it, we’d all be like, “This is a great ####ing show.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...terview-marriage-mr-and-mrs-smith-1235817327/

Last edited:
A review I read described the series as 'somehow bold and boring at the same time' and that's pretty much how I felt about it.

I enjoyed the first half of the season but it always felt like one episode away from getting off the ground. There was a pretty high-stakes action sequence in the final episode but by that stage I'd just stopped caring.

Back