Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently reading GREEN LANTERN ARCHIVES Vol. 1 to become more familiar with the character's roots before seeing the film.

In his first appearance, Hal Jordan "borrows" Abin Sur's uniform and takes it as his superhero costume. I like that concept infinitely better than the nasty "organic" raw-muscle looking CGI suit. Does even the damn mask have to be CGI? Say what you will about the FANTASTIC FOUR films, but maybe they SHOULD have taken a page from them and used a similar material for the suit. Even a SUPERMAN RETURNS-type execution would have looked better.

There's something almost obscene about throwing additional millions for the trouble and effort they're going through for a frame-by-frame CGI Halloween costume. Again, WHY IS THE DOMINO MASK CGI!?

That being said, I still like the character and love Martin Campell's work, so I'm looking forward to it.

I agree - absolutely no damn idea why the domino mask could not be real... and i believe the suit should have been 'augmented' by CGI, and not 100% CGI as it is. It looks silly. They damn well have to do the finest CGI job of all time for the final film to make it look believable.

I still have hope that this will turn out okay. I do agree about the suit. I understand that it is a ring construct, but since all Hal's constructs come from his mind wouldn't his suit look like a man-made costume?
Although I suppose his idea of a GL costume could be informed by what he sees on Abin Sur.

As long as it's a good flick I don't really care. Although a G'nort cameo might go a long way for me personally...

cgi is the kind of thing that brings me right out a movie if it isn't done well...I hope it's not distracting. really really biased...i hate cgi ____ in an abundance.

I understand that it is a ring construct, but since all Hal's constructs come from his mind wouldn't his suit look like a man-made costume? Although I suppose his idea of a GL costume could be informed by what he sees on Abin Sur.

Well that is fairly a simple one to answer. Thanks to retroactive continuity building once a GL puts on a ring for the first time they don a standard uniform of a recruit that has no Lantern Symbol on the chest. This is a throwback to the Silver Age wear the Lantern would simply don a uniform costume to every other Lantern. Once they prove themselves and/or complete training with Kilowog they receive their Lantern and if they achieve high enough status their lantern symbol actually reflect a power construct of itself. There were various Lanterns throughout history who had different costumes like Jack. T Chance for example but it was mainly to reflect outcasts of the Corps. While other Lanterns like Gardner wore variations and even John Stewart for a while Kyle Rayner was the first "main" GL to don a separate costume. The explanation is that Hal honors Abin Sur's spirit by keeping the traditional costume while others can choose their own now but I'm sure in the film it'll be specifically because of what Abin Sur wore is what Hal would wear being from the same sector.

You also have to remember the CGI looking shotty on Hal is actually good to the source. In Secret Origins Hal's constructs, his costuming looks like an inexperienced person would do it, his first construct is barely recognizable as a hand. As Hal practices and learns with the ring everything gets more streamlined so it's completely possible that we would see by the end of the film more clean and refined CGI to reflect that.

Well that is fairly a simple one to answer. Thanks to retroactive continuity building once a GL puts on a ring for the first time they don a standard uniform of a recruit that has no Lantern Symbol on the chest. This is a throwback to the Silver Age wear the Lantern would simply don a uniform costume to every other Lantern. Once they prove themselves and/or complete training with Kilowog they receive their Lantern and if they achieve high enough status their lantern symbol actually reflect a power construct of itself. There were various Lanterns throughout history who had different costumes like Jack. T Chance for example but it was mainly to reflect outcasts of the Corps. While other Lanterns like Gardner wore variations and even John Stewart for a while Kyle Rayner was the first "main" GL to don a separate costume. The explanation is that Hal honors Abin Sur's spirit by keeping the traditional costume while others can choose their own now but I'm sure in the film it'll be specifically because of what Abin Sur wore is what Hal would wear being from the same sector.

You also have to remember the CGI looking shotty on Hal is actually good to the source. In Secret Origins Hal's constructs, his costuming looks like an inexperienced person would do it, his first construct is barely recognizable as a hand. As Hal practices and learns with the ring everything gets more streamlined so it's completely possible that we would see by the end of the film more clean and refined CGI to reflect that.

Sideshow Freaks resident comic book expert. :)

Well if the goofy look is intentional based on the comics then I sure hope they make that apparent - i.e., we see the suit and projections look better and better as the movie moves along.

Green lantern is too horrified movie and it will make the blood from your body to move here and there in the veins.So,watch this movie with your friends or family.This movie will definitely entertained you with full zeal.

Green lantern is too horrified movie and it will make the blood from your body to move here and there in the veins.So,watch this movie with your friends or family.This movie will definitely entertained you with full zeal.

:lecture
I smell a poster quote!

I agree with nishavig on this. My blood is moving here and there in my veins just thinking about it.

I haven't got any friends and my family has disowned me so I'll be watching this by myself. Hopefully I'll achieve the same zealous entertainment this way, though.

Blake Lively was voted AskMen's most desirable woman of 2011 :love

Didn't know where else to post it.. :lol

So now that they cast superman I wonder if they'll consider filming that cameo now.

Principal photography is done. The cameo was written for the press conference at Ferris Aircraft with Clark Kent in the audience I believe asking a question. With a press badge that said "Daily Planet" and nothing more. It was to take place before Hal even got the ring. While they could conceivably film it it'd be illogical for as big of a threat as Parallax and Hammond are being portrayed that Clark already established with powers wouldn't show up.

Not to mention that Nolan wanted both Batman and Superman to exist in a vacuum with no other heroes in existence or even crossover into each other's and Synder is still directing that script written from that point of view. I don't see WB screwing with any groundwork that Nolan has laid considering how much they have to lose if this next film does poorly at the box office. Besides it was already quoted via screenwriter that the cameo was specifically written for Tom Welling not even Routh so WB probably would have never let it fly anyway.

Who knows though right? Maybe we'll get an Iron Man styled after the credits but I wouldn't hold my breath especially since WB is promoting Green Lantern as if he is the DCU's first superhero therefore not treading over Batman or Nolan but still canceling out that Superman has even donned tights in continuity. Unlike Marvel there isn't a timeline being set or even other films being considered.

Blake Lively was voted AskMen's most desirable woman of 2011 :love

Didn't know where else to post it.. :lol

Blake is gorgeous but I don't know if I agree with her placement or even the Top 5 realistically.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

glcostumes.jpg

Back