Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this region, pretty much anyone knows Captain America, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, X-Men, Hulk, Ironman, before even the movies because their comics are commonly found in newstand. Their cartoons are also aired frequently.

Thor, Green Lantern, and most of the other DC stuff are pratically unknown here.

But I do agree that if the movie is done right and accessible, it might open up new interests. Watchman was done right but just not accessible at all. Most people here walk out of the cinema with a big headache becase of the layers and multiple plot lines.

Hoping HT makes figures from all of the comic movies next year personally but wait and see. Regarding the film, I doubt anyone in Asia will get a headache from the film because of layers and multiple plot lines. It doesn't appear to be that type of film. :rotfl

I figure we would've heard something by now if HT was going to release figures, but who knows?

Well they haven't officially announced that they are doing the Captain America or Thor licenses but everyone pretty much banks on those figures on their way.

I have a feeling with these big ticket films they'll announced and then preview in a short time span to continue buzz.

Well, it's possible... I really worry about this film... I hope the final film doesn't leave the same impression as the trailer, i.e. huge missed opportunity but Sinestro was awesome

I'm hoping that the studio is just putting it's funny foot forward in the previews in hopes of emulating and creating a buzz that this movie is "DC's Iron Man".

I don't mind humor in the movie at all...and with Reynolds as the lead you KNEW it wasnt going to be all business, but I don't want it to be a joke.

In this region, pretty much anyone knows Captain America, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, X-Men, Hulk, Ironman, before even the movies because their comics are commonly found in newstand. Their cartoons are also aired frequently.

Thor, Green Lantern, and most of the other DC stuff are pratically unknown here.

But I do agree that if the movie is done right and accessible, it might open up new interests. Watchman was done right but just not accessible at all. Most people here walk out of the cinema with a big headache becase of the layers and multiple plot lines.

dude, you're making us seem like backwater cavemen! :lol

it's not true at all that DC stuff is "practically unknown". maybe just in your social circle? but generally, people here (i'm referring to malaysians and singaporeans) do have at least a basic visual comprehension of the flash, the green lantern, and aquaman. and of course, batman and superman are household names.

as for watchmen, i do not think the so-called confusion was limited to asia. the film tanked in the states and europe too. it just wasn't easily accessible mainstream fare, as u pointed out.

Last edited:
It's not a Spoiler. The thing looks almost exactly like it does in the comics.

Film:
green-lantern-parallax.jpg

Comics:

500x_parallax.jpg

That is pretty sweet that they have parallax in this film! It is changing my thought a little that this movie isnt gonna be as bad i think :D :rock

dude, you're making us seem like backwater cavemen! :lol

it's not true at all that DC stuff is "practically unknown". maybe just in your social circle? but generally, people here (i'm referring to malaysians and singaporeans) do have at least a basic visual comprehension of the flash, the green lantern, and aquaman. and of course, batman and superman are household names.

as for watchmen, i do not think the so-called confusion was limited to asia. the film tanked in the states and europe too. it just wasn't easily accessible mainstream fare, as u pointed out.

I am speaking more in general terms, you can ask ten random person on the street who green lantern is and it is likely all ten has never heard of him.

On the other hand, ask ten random person on the street who superman is and most likely all ten will know superman.

Another thing is Japanese manga is a big thing in this region. Also due to language reasons, most will lean towards manga before even touching an American comic book.

Not everyone is like a me (my friends call me white guy due to my preference for everything western) who was probably born in the wrong region.

HT took on Ghost Rider and one character from freakin' Blade Trinity.

They better do Green Lantern.

Actually, GR I can understand cause he looks really awesome visually. Abigail I admit is a WTF on HT part.

Green Lantern just doesn't wow me visually. Never did, never will. I can never get over the green spandex thing. And to be honest, Ryan Reynolds look really silly and campy in that costume. He should have just stick to deadpool. That is one charater where his comedy heritage will benefit.

I would disagree with the statement that people in Asia wouldn't know who Green Lantern is. Especially how popular the JL cartoon was and how the Green Lanterns have been featured in almost every DC cartoon incarnation save the original B:TAS. There were more Asian "trinkets" of various sizes, shapes and functionalities for the JL cartoon than I can remember for any other WB/DC piece. I think a more accurate statement is that people don't know Hal Jordan. In the 90s every incarnation was Kyle. With JL it was John. Hell in the new B:B&B its more Guy than anything else. That's WB's fault for not sticking to consistency. The Flash has just as much legacy yet every incarnation has been Wally.

People wouldn't be able to pick GL out of picture depending on the picture but I'd bet they'd know the symbol, the ring, the only consistent pieces.

I would disagree with the statement that people in Asia wouldn't know who Green Lantern is. Especially how popular the JL cartoon was and how the Green Lanterns have been featured in almost every DC cartoon incarnation save the original B:TAS. There were more Asian "trinkets" of various sizes, shapes and functionalities for the JL cartoon than I can remember for any other WB/DC piece. I think a more accurate statement is that people don't know Hal Jordan. In the 90s every incarnation was Kyle. With JL it was John. Hell in the new B:B&B its more Guy than anything else. That's WB's fault for not sticking to consistency. The Flash has just as much legacy yet every incarnation has been Wally.

People wouldn't be able to pick GL out of picture depending on the picture but I'd bet they'd know the symbol, the ring, the only consistent pieces.

Those cartoons you mentioned are only shown on satelite TV. The local TV doesn't broadcast any. I would say satelite TV penetration is less than 5% here. Also, take into account the easy availability of manga and anime here and one can see why most will lean more towards Japanese heroes.

'Green Lantern' Co-Writer Talks Easter Eggs, Alien Lanterns, And The Deleted Superman Cameo

"[The Superman cameo] is in the leaked script. It survived several drafts. Ultimately, it was cut for budgetary reasons. We took it out in one of our later drafts. After my interview with you, of course." "The Clark Kent cameo is still near and dear to my heart. I really wanted it to be in the movie," he added, only to joke, "You never know — it can still happen. If Tom Welling has a free hour or two, you never know."
I'm sure the upcoming Superman movie is another reason.

"I’ll tell you another thing. Michael Green, my co-writer, had written a bit where when the ring is going over the Earth. We made a little bit more of Abin Sur’s speech about finding someone honest land brave, and the ring speeds right over Washington, D.C. without stopping, which I thought was funny."
:lol

Back