Gandalf the Grey PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you love the movies this pics along with Gollum will be the iconic pieces to own. The rumoured Ringwraith on Steed will also be must haves. Buy Gandalf with confidence. It's amazing.

Thanks Bullseye.

Maybe I'll flex-pay it.

I wouldn't mind having 4 or 5 p.f.s again. Although, I kinda wanted to go the 1/3 scale route.

Final flexpayment went through and I just received my EX Gandalf PF today. Haven't opened it up yet. Most of my collection is currently boxed up as some of you know, so I might just open him up for inspection, take a few shots and box him back up until I can properly display him. I've got #64 according the box.

one pic more for get the ambient in the forum

dscf0672.jpg

one question? how old is gandalf?

Awesome pic! :rock

one question? how old is gandalf?

Ahhh yes, how old indeed.

Here's a partial answer:

In the fiction of J. R. R. Tolkien, the Wizards of Middle-earth are a group of beings outwardly resembling Men but possessing much greater physical and mental power. They are also called the Istari (Quenya for "Wise Ones") by the Elves. The Sindarin word is Ithryn (sing. Ithron). They were sent by the Valar to help and assist the peoples of Middle-earth to contest Sauron.
The wizards were Maiar, spirits of the same order as the Valar, but lesser in power. The first three were known in the Mannish tongue of Westron as Saruman ("man of skill"), Gandalf ("elf of the staff"), and Radagast ("tender of beasts"). Tolkien never gave Westron names for the other two; one tradition gives their names in Valinor as Alatar and Pallando. Each wizard had robes of a characteristic colour: white for Saruman (the chief and the most powerful of the five), grey for Gandalf, brown for Radagast, and sea-blue for Alatar and Pallando (known consequently as the Blue Wizards). Gandalf and Saruman both play important roles in The Lord of the Rings, while Radagast appears only briefly. Alatar and Pallando do not feature in the story, as they journeyed far into the east after their arrival in Middle-earth.
Tolkien gives multiple names for all of them. In Quenya Saruman was Curumo ("skillful one"), Gandalf was Olórin ("dreaming" or "dreamer"); and Radagast was Aiwendil ("friend of birds"). The Quenya names Morinehtar ("darkness-slayer") and Rómestámo ("east-helper") are given for Alatar and Pallando, though it's not clear which name goes with which wizard. Other names are noted in individual articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_(Middle-earth)

In other words: the Wizards (including Gandalf) were lower angels (Maiar - the Balrog was also a fallen Maiar) sent by the higher angels (Valar) to help men and elves to resist Sauron (also a fallen Maiar - and a servant of the old Dark Lord Morgoth who was a fallen Valar and the true Satan character of Tolkien's mythology).

More specifically:

They came to Middle-earth around the year 1050 of the Third Age, when the forest of 'Greenwood the Great' fell under shadow and became known as Mirkwood. The wizards already appeared old when they entered Middle-earth. They were "clothed" in the bodies of old Men, as the Valar wished them to guide the inhabitants of Middle-earth by persuasion and encouragement, not by force or fear. However, they aged very slowly and were in fact immortal. Physically they were "real" Men, and felt all the urges, pleasures and fears of flesh and blood. Therefore, in spite of their specific and unambiguous goal, the Wizards were capable of human feelings; Gandalf, for example, felt great affection for the Hobbits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_(Middle-earth)#Arrival

Again, they appeared old as soon as they arrived. And indeed they would be old. Ancient in fact, as they had a pre-human existence dating back to before the physical realm even existed.

The Wizards or "Istari" appeared in 1050 of the Third Age. The events of The Lord of the Rings take place in 3018-3019 of the Third Age which would make Gandalf 1969 years old at the destruction of the ring.

However, a better answer to your question would be: Gandalf (as well as the other Wizards and Maiar) is older than any living thing in Middle-Earth, including the Ents. Treebeard calls Gandalf "young master Gandalf" because from his perspective Gandalf has only been around for a short while (as Ents walked the earth before even the first elf), but that doesn't take into account Gandalf's existence as Olorin.

Here's a fun fact: My eBay user name is "iwasolorin" which is a reference to Gandalf's pre-human existence.

#45 just arrived in Canada. Still have a lot of futzing to do before I reach that messy but perfect state.

GandalfPF.jpg

I'm going to sound crazy for just a minute here. I prefer the new maquette. The premium format does look amazing, but for me the scale is a bit too large and its never fun trying to get the clothing to look perfect on display, for me personally. Everyone's Gandalfs look amazing, like I said, but I'm sticking with the maquettes.

I'm going to sound very smart for just a minute here. I prefer the premium format. The maquette does look amazing, but for me the scale is a bit too small and one of the best parts of this hobby is futzing the clothing to look perfect on display, for me personally. Everyone's Gandalfs look amazing, and I'm getting one!

Fixed for ya. :wave

Seriously though, one of the reasons I have held off from buying a PF figure is that they are not articulated.

I like to interact with my collection. I love posing my 1/6 figures. And I love futzing clothes to perfection as well. It makes me appreciate the piece so much more once it's perfect! I can't get into statues because there is no articulation, but at least with the premium formats you can still futz! :hi5:

Maquettes = a hunk of plastic that can only look one way. :sleep

...for me personally. :D

Oh and congrats kenobiobi! :duff

Can't believe everyone is getting such low numbers!

Fixed for ya. :wave

I'm going to sound crazy for just a minute here. I prefer the new maquette. The premium format does look amazing, but for me the scale is a bit too large and its never fun trying to get the clothing to look perfect on display, for me personally. Everyone's Gandalfs look amazing, like I said, but I'm sticking with the maquettes.

Nah pretty sure this is what he said. :lecture

Seriously though, one of the reasons I have held off from buying a PF figure is that they are not articulated.

I like to interact with my collection. I love posing my 1/6 figures. And I love futzing clothes to perfection as well. It makes me appreciate the piece so much more once it's perfect! I can't get into statues because there is no articulation, but at least with the premium formats you can still futz! :hi5:

I love them all personally. Something pretty great about each format at least for me.

Maquettes = a hunk of plastic that can only look one way. :sleep

...for me personally. :D

Like I said each format is awesome in its own way and why I only buy for myself and the reasons I like. :1-1:

Back