Friday the 13th (2009) Movie Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it today and I think it was better than it had any right of being. What I mean is, as much as i love Jason, the old movies are crap. Period. I just watched 1-3 in preparation for this and can't believe how awful they were. The new film was very good, not great but better than any film with Jason Vorhees before it. I loved the Jason of the remake. Frickin Brutal pitbull. LOVED the throwing of the axe into the back of the guy. AWESOME. And I actually appreciated the deaths weren't the most "ingenious" . They were effective and got the job done. Also the trophies were a nice touch. Archery, hockey. Well done.

In all, would rate it as one of my favorite remakes as it improved on the source material and made me like the main character, Clay. I actually wanted him and his sister to live. Very well done movie. Not perfect, but like i said was better than I expected.

Last edited:
Was ok but not great.could have been much more....this one is better than #9 and thats about it..BEST KILL WAS THE GIRL UNDER THE DOCK.

You know, I as well watched the first three movies in prep for the remake/reimaging and I think I liked this one the best, not because it was new and shiny or that the older movies have lost anything, but I liked this one more because of Jason or at least how he was portrayed. Yes he ran in movies 2 and 3. He became a full blown plodder once he "died" and was resurrected, but he was never smart or cunning. More of a shark...he would just keep going until he had his prey. In this flick he was all of those things a shark, smart, cunning and not easily fooled...well except for Clay's sister playing him. Nevermind that small detail, but he planned ahead, he "hunted" his prey, and he got extremely pissed when things didn't go as planned.

The Kills may not have been the most original, but they were effective and showed some of the skills that someone living on the land would need. The Bow, the axe being two examples. His lair was effective and the rope with the bell also provided some insights on how he had set up his ground rules?

As to some outsider coming into towning and reopening Camp Crystal Lake, you were right. Big business would probably not stop twice and listen to the "hicks in town". Of course Jason would show them the true meaning to a hostile takeover! :naughty:naughty:naughty

You know, I as well watched the first three movies in prep for the remake/reimaging and I think I liked this one the best, not because it was new and shiny or that the older movies have lost anything, but I liked this one more because of Jason or at least how he was portrayed. Yes he ran in movies 2 and 3. He became a full blown plodder once he "died" and was resurrected, but he was never smart or cunning. More of a shark...he would just keep going until he had his prey. In this flick he was all of those things a shark, smart, cunning and not easily fooled...well except for Clay's sister playing him. Nevermind that small detail, but he planned ahead, he "hunted" his prey, and he got extremely pissed when things didn't go as planned.

The Kills may not have been the most original, but they were effective and showed some of the skills that someone living on the land would need. The Bow, the axe being two examples. His lair was effective and the rope with the bell also provided some insights on how he had set up his ground rules?

As to some outsider coming into towning and reopening Camp Crystal Lake, you were right. Big business would probably not stop twice and listen to the "hicks in town". Of course Jason would show them the true meaning to a hostile takeover! :naughty:naughty:naughty

Good mini review and observation...

Go ahead Donald Trump, just you try and name that place CCL Properties Inc and have Erik Estrada do infomercials for you...you'll both end up under the dock and in the boat just like those pesky kids!

Last edited:
I watched it for a second time today with my wife, she really liked it. I have a question though, its the part where Whitney is trying escape Jason using a small object from the GPS.

He approaches her slowly, she then says "Jason" and he immediately heads back out to kill more. Is this part symbolizing his commitment to his mothers command? He obviously kept her there as a mother figure but when she says that, his reaction is almost like a light switch, as if he is now "back on track"

Anyone else feel the same way about that part?

I watched it for a second time today with my wife, she really liked it. I have a question though, its the part where Whitney is trying escape Jason using a small object from the GPS.

He approaches her slowly, she then says "Jason" and he immediately heads back out to kill more. Is this part symbolizing his commitment to his mothers command? He obviously kept her there as a mother figure but when she says that, his reaction is almost like a light switch, as if he is now "back on track"

Anyone else feel the same way about that part?

Yeah, I kinda got that too... like it sparked something in his head, reminded him of what happened to his mother and what his objective was.

I just saw it tonight. I was rather impressed. I never have expectations for remakes. Only other remake I ever liked this much was the Dawn of The Dead remake. I am a bit perplexed by all the love TCM remake is getting. I thought that film missed the tone completely. But I digress. This remake was pretty fun.

You guys are missing a small cue. The only reason Whitney is alive is because she resembles Pam Voorhees. Remember in the beginning with Mike, Whitney's boyfriend, finds the locket and says "She looks like you". Whitney says that she doesn't he swears that she does. Nana Visitor doesn't really resemble Amanda Righetti all that much but enough to get Jason not to kill her. That is why when she says Jason he stops not because it reminds him of anything but because he visually cues his mother. His mother told him that they should be punished, her voice continues to ring throughout so that is what is also cued.

Spoiler Spoiler:

You guys are missing a small cue. The only reason Whitney is alive is because she resembles Pam Voorhees. Remember in the beginning with Mike, Whitney's boyfriend, finds the locket and says "She looks like you". Whitney says that she doesn't he swears that she does. Nana Visitor doesn't really resemble Amanda Righetti all that much but enough to get Jason not to kill her. That is why when she says Jason he stops not because it reminds him of anything but because he visually cues his mother. His mother told him that they should be punished, her voice continues to ring throughout so that is what is also cued.

Spoiler Spoiler:

NAIL ON HEAD!

Saw it a second time yesterday and liked it even less. Still some decent kills. But I see Jason killing but it didn't feel like a Friday The 13th movie. None of the kids are likable except the dude looking for his sister. Where is the fauking score????? no chi chi chi ah ah ah ??? And I hate hate hate the hockey mask scene. That moment is ruined by the hillbilly remembering how his lost his virginity to a mannequin. . . . . .

If I was to rank them.

F13 2
F13 4
F13 1
F13 3
F13 7
F13 6
F13 (2009)
F13 5
F13 8

JGTH and JX do not exist.

this movies stands alone right with it's sequel coming. this is the first movie that i can remember eating popcorn and getting scared and spilling it in my lap...

Then you clearly haven't watched Strangers.....

If you spilt popcorn with F13, you'll spill the popcorn, soda and candy with Strangers.

That is what I mean't Mike, she was spared her life for that exact reason.

Saw it a second time yesterday and liked it even less. Still some decent kills. But I see Jason killing but it didn't feel like a Friday The 13th movie. None of the kids are likable except the dude looking for his sister. Where is the fauking score????? no chi chi chi ah ah ah ??? And I hate hate hate the hockey mask scene. That moment is ruined by the hillbilly remembering how his lost his virginity to a mannequin. . . . . .

I think this is why I like the movie so much, I won't compare them to the past 11 they made before this. As soon as the film was done and it all sank in the 2 concerns I had were the score and the "feel" of the film. I also think this film didn't have to have the "Friday the 13th" title attached to it.

With RZ's Halloween it was more familiar with the film it was remaking and with certain details. This film didn't have that but maybe it was a good thing?

I have always found the first 2 (even today) Halloween movies worthy of being spooky. I even as a child was never really "scared" of Jason (minus parts 3 and 4 :D) So it was nice to see Jason more "scary" than in the past.

This remake was completely different from anything made in the past but I also think this is a good thing. Most Friday films from the 80's (even back then) were more laughable than anything.

Jason is now a true monster.

Yeah, the score coulda used some work. I did like that electronic beat when Jason was charging....kinda cool. But the "Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma" was missed. Hopefully put back into the unrated?

Then you clearly haven't watched Strangers.....

If you spilt popcorn with F13, you'll spill the popcorn, soda and candy with Strangers.

The Strangers was boring as hell IMO... I didn't really like it all that much. It didn't freak me out at all, had some good bits and I loved the masks.. but it didn't scare me.

And I totally agree with what Roy said 2 posts up, this movie was different than the original films.. and it was a good thing. It still felt like Jason to me, and the camp still felt like Crystal Lake... but thankfully it didn't follow the same formula to a T, and I think it helped me like it more. This movie was much better than anything Post part 4 in the series. I just went and saw it again today, still loved it.

I too wish the hockey mask scene would have been a bit more fleshed out, but I am still cool with it. Better than just having Shelley walk into the barn, and Jason walks out with the mask.. you never get why he put it on at all.

True the original donning of the mask wasn't anything special, but no one new that tidbit would result in a iconic look that everyone, even people that have never watched the films, knows Jason wears one. The new film tried to make that iconic scene, but failed with a lame humor before it.

While The Strangers may not be scary, it did have the mood. The lead badguy with the sack head was creepy with the weezing. The characters also acted pretty much how normal everyday people would act. They weren't sitting around getting high.

And the massive amounts of pot referenced in the new F13 is way too much. I've been to several parties and camping trips and have NEVER seen someone bust out a bong.

Strangers for me was such a creepy scary movie because it felt real where as no matter how hard F13 tries (and I give the new movie kudos for really trying), "Jason" will never represent the real life terror of what a home invasion truly is.

Yeah, the gore kills are fun to watch and yeah, the action is fun to get into and of course Jason is a perfect candidate for making cool looking action figures but i find it hard to believe that any horror movie fan would really be scared of Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, Leatherface or Chucky?

Yeah I might not want to own any Strangers Action figures because they're not as cool looking as Jason but I know which is scarier for me, real life is much more than Jason running thru the woods as a superhero madman who grew up in the woods all by himself from the early age of a mongoloid CHILD after witnessing his mom get decapitated!

Yeah, F13 is a good (as in not BAD) movie which finally introduced some creepiness back into a F13 movie and yes it is much better than Jason XXX and Jason takes on the Warriors in the Bronx but anyone who gets scared from an over exposed sharp shooting madmen who's footsteps sound like double subwoofers probably have a low tolerance for what most would consider to be truly terrifying.

Strangers with it's portrayal of what a home invasion might be like in an isolated setting by multiple psychos was something I would worry could happen to my family in real life, I don't worry about a superhuman monster getting me after I just finished hanging then stabbing him in the heart with a machete and after i dumped him in the lake!

I do however expect him to make for a cool looking action figure!

Back