DC Joker Movie (Non-DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes as a stand-alone film it is better than EG (and Spidey) but EG really shouldn?t be judged as a stand-alone film it?s half of a very long movie.

Joker is about equal to IW in its own way but definitely not better than IW/EG if viewed as one movie.

Wait a minute... What?? I leave for a bit and the film that Jye was complaining about and basically hating on is now better than EG???

What did I miss ???

Or does he now know that EG was never all that good to begin with so of course Joker is better ;)

CM doesn't rate for me and I'll just keep the comparisons within the same studio:

EG > IM
Joker > TDK
SMFFH > TIH

Oh man... Joker better then TDK??

I have to blame TDKR for what people think of when they think of TDK.

As far as sitting in the theater for the first time and seeing TDK, the Marvel Universe being brought to life with IM, and Hulk being treated with respect and having some truly comic book moments.... Nothing comes close to that year.

I actually forgot about SMFFH... I still rank TIH better... But its much better than CM...

I liked Joker but its nowhere near TDK for me.. First time viewing anyways.. I still like TDK better but I will admit that over the years TDKR hurt my love for that film.

EG... meh..

Jack is sad.

Mark Hamill beats Nicholson???? A voice? Come on... how long can you cling to a frickin cartoon?

That?s crazy how low Jack is.

Absurd more like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a huge Nicholson fan back when Batman came out... And I still thought he was only OK as The Joker. He was great for the first scene with Carl Grissom but then he became too campy and came across more like Cesar Romero. As time has gone by that has only become more apparent.

I'm not saying that you can't interpret the ending as being a fantasy but I just don't think that that's what the film is saying. It really diminishes his arc, it pretty much eradicates it in fact if his dreams never manifest in reality and he's just a static criminal with an active imagination.

Yeah this is what bothers me. The film leaves things open to that possibility. However, if that is the case, then it diminishes his arc. I actually hate that this possibility exists.

Well, you're taking his actions literally without consideration of emotions. He's lonely. He wants to be 'seen'. He's finally in front of a crowd -- the crowd he's dreamed of. You think he'd leave even an ounce of that feeling behind?

Yes he wants to be seen. I guess I've been watching the Hong Kong protests a lot (I used to work there so I feel concern for my previous colleagues who are still there), but the chaos in such a riot (Gotham's was way worse as shown) it's easy for an individual to escape. Especialyl when every one is in a similar disguise.

Maybe Jye was right... He wanted to get caught?

I have to blame TDKR for what people think of when they think of TDK.

As far as sitting in the theater for the first time and seeing TDK, the Marvel Universe being brought to life with IM, and Hulk being treated with respect and having some truly comic book moments.... Nothing comes close to that year.

I actually forgot about SMFFH... I still rank TIH better... But its much better than CM...

I liked Joker but its nowhere near TDK for me.. First time viewing anyways.. I still like TDK better but I will admit that over the years TDKR hurt my love for that film.

EG... meh..

As a coincidence, I was watching TDK last night on TV. I think the way Joke was structured makes it flow faster so it's easier to watch (the subject matter is a different issue). TDK had multiple build-ups and climaxes as well as having to deal with Dent in the end. It felt that it ran longer than it should have on subsequent re-watches.

I still like Ledger better though. I'd be afraid to face his Joker in real life. JP's Joker wasn't scary/intimidating to me at all.

:lol

With DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci appearing in The Irishman I'm just imagining Jack Nicholson, Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman - some big film with all those old greats in it.

Pity that'd never be.

Wait a minute... What?? I leave for a bit and the film that Jye was complaining about and basically hating on is now better than EG???

What did I miss ???

Or does he now know that EG was never all that good to begin with so of course Joker is better ;)

Lol endgame is like Applebee?s or chilli?s. It?s good food. Fun. You know what your gonna get, may change there menu up a bit to something new and unexpected.

Joker is like a five star restaurant. You don?t know what it?s gonna be like but it?s gonna be good regardless cause it?s a step above chillis. It is much different from your average restaurant.

What did I miss ???

I honestly don?t view EG as a standalone movie like Joker clearly is.

IW and EG are a single movie with a one year intermission lol

Therefore IW/EG > Joker

Yeah this is what bothers me. The film leaves things open to that possibility. However, if that is the case, then it diminishes his arc. I actually hate that this possibility exists.

Yes he wants to be seen. I guess I've been watching the Hong Kong protests a lot (I used to work there so I feel concern for my previous colleagues who are still there), but the chaos in such a riot (Gotham's was way worse as shown) it's easy for an individual to escape. Especialyl when every one is in a similar disguise.

Maybe Jye was right... He wanted to get caught?

As a coincidence, I was watching TDK last night on TV. I think the way Joke was structured makes it flow faster so it's easier to watch (the subject matter is a different issue). TDK had multiple build-ups and climaxes as well as having to deal with Dent in the end. It felt that it ran longer than it should have on subsequent re-watches.

I still like Ledger better though. I'd be afraid to face his Joker in real life. JP's Joker wasn't scary/intimidating to me at all.

I think Ledger in TDK had more of a presence and command of the stage even though he had less screen time.

Ledger Joker made every scene count.

I?m not trying to say that JP Joker pales in comparison because it certainly doesn?t he deserves the accolades he?s receiving.

I honestly don?t view EG as a standalone movie like Joker clearly is.

IW and EG are a single movie with a one year intermission lol

Therefore IW/EG > Joker

Just weird that you are even comparing the two.... or three. lol

IW/EG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joker

I cant see the IW EG as just one movie.. I think its because of the time jump and overall feel. Plus the villain while the same is technically different. Ignoring Banner blending with Hulk ruins the feel of one continuous movie also.

At the same time you need to watch one with the other.. But like Empire it IW feels like its own movie.. EG and ROTJ obviously depend more on what came before it.

LOTR films feel more like one gigantic continuous story.

Plus if I though of IW and EG as just one movie then IW would drop in my marvel ranking a lot. :lol ;)

I think Ledger in TDK had more of a presence and command of the stage even though he had less screen time.

Ledger Joker made every scene count.

I?m not trying to say that JP Joker pales in comparison because it certainly doesn?t he deserves the accolades he?s receiving.

The big difference to me is that Ledger's Joker was scary.. He was unpredictable.. Anytime those Hans Zimmer electric violins would kick in I would get tense.

JP Joker is obviously a more sympathetic character and, o
ther then the counselor at the end,
he basically just kills unlikable people in this film. Thus I was never in suspense watching this film.. Too me that should be something the Joker brings to the table.. A sense of danger.. There was some of that at the end in his apartment... BUT its an origin story so who knows where he goes from there.

Its a great performance and I buy him as a budding joker.

Just weird that you are even comparing the two.... or three. lol

IW/EG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joker

I cant see the IW EG as just one movie.. I think its because of the time jump and overall feel. Plus the villain while the same is technically different. Ignoring Banner blending with Hulk ruins the feel of one continuous movie also.

At the same time you need to watch one with the other.. But like Empire it IW feels like its own movie.. EG and ROTJ obviously depend more on what came before it.

LOTR films feel more like one gigantic continuous story.

Plus if I though of IW and EG as just one movie then IW would drop in my marvel ranking a lot. :lol ;)

C?mon dude Marvel movies vs DC movies comparisons is as old as time itself only weird thing is that you think it?s weird lol

The big difference to me is that Ledger's Joker was scary.. He was unpredictable.. Anytime those Hans Zimmer electric violins would kick in I would get tense.

he basically just kills unlikable people in this film. Thus I was never in suspense watching this film.. Too me that should be something the Joker brings to the table.. A sense of danger.. There was some of that at the end in his apartment... BUT its an origin story so who knows where he goes from there.

Fully agree

Sorry JP good try though 2nd place nothing to be ashamed of lol

10c0c8cfc626310ae46df3d960fd2196.jpg

Second place is admirable, but I'd put Jack in second. Juaquin Phoenix is better in Joker than Nicholson in Batman 89 as far as acting and playing a character, but Phoenix wasn't Joker for most of the film. In fact, it wasn't until the very end that the Joker might have been "born." I do think Joker is the best origin story DC has made so far tho.

Cesar Romero gets no respect. Shame.

You can clearly tell that the people voting were in their mid to late 20's. Clearly they didn't grow up with Romero or Nicholson, so the list makes sense.

Yes, TDK is great in parts but is also quite uninteresting in parts with an ending that just fizzles after the Joker is caught. I found "JOKER" rivetting from beginning to end with the all-important factor of the film peaking in the third act. I also prefer BB to TDK.

As far as sitting in the theater for the first time and seeing TDK, the Marvel Universe being brought to life with IM,

IM was a great introduction to the character but no universe had been brought to life yet. It was just another standalone superhero with some post-credit lip service to other heroes at the end which at that point was nothing new.

and Hulk being treated with respect and having some truly comic book moments.... Nothing comes close to that year.

Let's be honest, this is the defining factor in how you rank superhero films and film years. Not that at blame you as a Hulk superfan. ;)

TDKR's flaws are obvious but I've still liked that film from the very beginning. Definitely third place in the Nolan trilogy though.

Last edited:

People have different Jokers to prefer based on what they like most about his character as a psycho, clown, and mastermind. Nicholson is kind of the only one who was all three. Ledger was the first and the third, Phoenix was the first and second, though as has been pointed out not the most terrifying and randomly murderous of psychos.

However him showing mercy to the midget, and then being unable to stifle his laughter at the near paralyzing terror felt when he realized he couldn't reach the door lock gave Arthur a level of cruelty not seen in any prior cinematic Joker, and few movie villains in general. And honestly I had no idea whether he was going to kill the midget in the moment or if he was just toying with him or what, and I think part of the reason that Arthur let him go was simply because he wasn't planning on surviving the night. As I said right after watching the movie it made him feel a bit like Roy Batty, where in one moment he kills Sebastian (who helped him) but spares Dekkard (who was hunting him.) And laughing about it to boot.

So no, he isn't the most homicidal but I do think that he alternates between being the most interesting *and* most unsettling, which just makes for an altogether fascinating take.

:lol

I know you're posting that as a funny contrast but it really shows how effortlessly unsettling the Joker's actions were compared to Thanos. Two completely different types of villains in two completely different genres, both handled and portrayed perfectly.

And that's why I like Phoenix's version without him having to be a criminal mastermind or random murderer.

I'm definitely in the minority here but I didn't care for this at all. It was slow and boring and I didn't get a "Joker" vibe from it at all. Phoenix did a great job with the character but if it wasn't literally called Joker I'd swear it was just a movie about the descent of a mentally unstable man who couldn't catch a break in life. I understand this was an origin story but at no point throughout did I feel this was the clown prince of crime, just a sympathetic loser who had a crappy lot in life.

Back