David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't say for certain what anyone's motivations are. Mel might want studio dollars to help fund The Passion 2. Said studio might do so only with the stipulation that he help turn their ailing DCEU around. I haven't seen the slightest evidence that he simply wants to "to attempt something transcendent with a genre he finds mostly mediocre." He hates superhero movies and has said as much. I can only assume that he'd be receiving some other benefit for signing on.

so win win

You can't say for certain what anyone's motivations are. Mel might want studio dollars to help fund The Passion 2. Said studio might do so only with the stipulation that he help turn their ailing DCEU around. I haven't seen the slightest evidence that he simply wants to "to attempt something transcendent with a genre he finds mostly mediocre." He hates superhero movies and has said as much. I can only assume that he'd be receiving some other benefit for signing on.

I don’t know. I just met some guys about story points. It’s not a done deal or anything. But it’s just fun to shoot the bull when it comes to stories. And if we can elevate any kind of concept it’s good. We’ll see.

Its all there. He's literally saying "If we can elevate this [mediocre] material [to a place where its worthy of my time] then we'll see [about me directing it]."

Also, he doesn't need WB money for Passion 2. Mel and Bruce Davey put together the $40 Million they needed for Hacksaw Ridge via smaller production companies (Pandemonium, Permut, Vendian, Kylin). Mel's already said Passion 2 will cost less than the first film because he's able to shoot on Digital now. Those same production companies will happily drop another $30-40 Million on Mel's next venture.

Well you can't say he's "literally" saying something and then insert your own words in brackets. ;) I took his quote as "I don't care about this series and have an ulterior motive for directing it but hey, if I can elevate some crap while getting what I want then win/win." I guess we'll see (assuming he even takes the job.)

You have it backwards.

Mel doesn't need to do SS2. Mel doesn't need to do anything.

If Mel takes on SS2 it'll be to attempt something transcendent with a genre he finds mostly mediocre.

The desperation is on the studio's part, to recruit someone at Mel's level.

I have to disagree, sir. You're acting as if everyone wants to do Squad 2. And its hardly a franchise that requires a name director at all. But I agree with you on: the studio wants Mel to do this. Of course. Big name. Maniac of a name. Perfect casting. Mad Mel.

But I do think Mel wants "back in town" so to speak. He wants that nasty past behind him. He wants Hollywood to talk about his work rather than Sugar Bumps and jews. He wants to be back -- its not about money; its about status. I'm sure he's tired about being the butt of an old joke.

If he takes this gig, its ain't about the art. He's back to Three Stooges territory here. He ain't after transcendence from Suicide Squad, come on. I bet he hasn't even watched the movie all the way thru.

Last edited:
I just want Mel's viking movie to finally happen. A three-hour berserker epic spoken in Orkney starring only Nordic actors.

Its a wet dream.

I have to disagree, sir. You're acting as if everyone wants to do Squad 2. And its hardly a franchise that requires a name director at all. But I agree with you on: the studio wants Mel to do this. Of course. Big name. Maniac of a name. Perfect casting. Mad Mel.

But I do think Mel wants "back in town" so to speak. He wants that nasty past behind him. He wants Hollywood to talk about his work rather than Sugar Bumps and jews. He wants to be back -- its not about money; its about status. I'm sure he's tired about being the butt of an old joke.

If he takes this gig, its ain't about the art. He's back to Three Stooges territory here. He ain't after transcendence from Suicide Squad, come on. I bet he hasn't even watched the movie all the way thru.
yeah, agree. did you see him on the red carpet? he was really trying to say the right thing, react in the right way. On best behaviour.
he wants to be forgiven and reaccepted by everyone.

Damn, you guys see his girlfriend?

Mel-Gibson-girlfriend-Rosalind-Ross-step-out-after-baby-news.jpg

She was born in 1990.

Back