Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was good as Nigel Powers though.

tumblr_n95wgrK7nB1qmtvvso2_500.jpg

Just mentioned Michael Caine as Nolan feels the need to put him in every film and he's actually more relevant to the topic than Depp or Pitt. Alfred and Nigel Powers are indeed my favorite roles he's had.

This is on the short list of movies I've been really excited to see this year. I'll be making sure to catch it in IMAX and I think it could easily be one of the best films to come out in 2014.

What this says to me is that funding in the sciences is abysmal. When you have to rely on the entertainment industry to make discoveries in the field of astrophysics, something is terribly wrong.

still, cool news.

Huh? That makes no sense. First, no one was 'relying' on anyone. Second, the technology used to create the very cool images is pretty specific to the entertainment industry, which btw isn't poorly funded, considering the billions spent on movie production each year. Physics isn't poorly funded either - but I wouldn't expect them to spend 100's of millions on the sort of specialized systems that are key to the entertainment industry. Instead this is a perfect example of using tools thought to have only applications in one area for a completely different area, and getting some great results.

Huh? That makes no sense. First, no one was 'relying' on anyone. Second, the technology used to create the very cool images is pretty specific to the entertainment industry, which btw isn't poorly funded, considering the billions spent on movie production each year. Physics isn't poorly funded either - but I wouldn't expect them to spend 100's of millions on the sort of specialized systems that are key to the entertainment industry. Instead this is a perfect example of using tools thought to have only applications in one area for a completely different area, and getting some great results.

I said the sciences are poorly funded, not the entertainment industry. And it is a fact, the sciences in this country are extremely under-funded, look at NASA's budget. My point is that one would think the resources should exist for this to have been done already, in the interest of science and not cramming seats into a movie theater.

If that doesnt make sense to you, then I can't help you.

Last edited:
Reviews coming in, lotta negatives. Had a colleague who was pumped for it who saw it and he hated it. He's usually swinging off Nolan's balls.

My friend sees it in a couple of days, I want to see what he thinks first. I'm still seeing this though, probably not IMAX.

Edit:

And obviously, there have been script changes since it was leaked a while back. I don't think the sex scenes are in it any more.

Read a few reviews- APPARENTLY it is not as amazing and cutting edge as people are anticipating- lots of "personal and intimate" stuff drowning out the sci fi stuff. Even the good reviews have some criticisms of parts of it. Read it has the Nolan multiple endings thing going on. I think I'll be bored until the space flight begins..
I am a huge Nolan fan ( don't like hanging though:lol) but always had my reservations on this one..hope I'm wrong!

Read a few reviews- APPARENTLY it is not as amazing and cutting edge as people are anticipating- lots of "personal and intimate" stuff drowning out the sci fi stuff. Even the good reviews have some criticisms of parts of it. Read it has the Nolan multiple endings thing going on. I think I'll be bored until the space flight begins..
I am a huge Nolan fan ( don't like hanging though:lol) but always had my reservations on this one..hope I'm wrong!

Sounds like it will be perfect for me, love sci-fi, but the Father/Daughter element has it's hooks in me the most. Can't wait to make up my own mind.

I haven't been following this movie much but based on what I've seen from trailers and TV Spots it appears to be a drama film with an element of sci-fi and not a sci-fi film with a solid drama story to it.

I haven't been following this movie much but based on what I've seen from trailers and TV Spots it appears to be a drama film with an element of sci-fi and not a sci-fi film with a solid drama story to it.

Well there is ALOT not shown in the trailers..it just looks ok and not anything I haven't seen before 10 times over..the space stuff is no better or worse than several well made space films before(but I haven't seen all of it obviously).
I just got a feeling I won't be bowled over-

Back