Empire Magazine's 30th Anniversary: 30 Most Iconic films since 1989

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real TFA or the SW usurper?

8954155014734082b92987a6b4e6409c.gif

:lol :lol :lol

It's a bit strange to quantify "iconic" -- is it in the boxoffice (which must count popularity of the movie or at least interest at the time) or do you count what a particular film's impact was on movies and culture?

1988 is a good example: The big event movie that year was Roger Rabbit. A huge accomplishment with big names attached (Spielberg/Zemeckis) and the entire world of cartoons. Most people can't even watch that movie now. However, a much less successful film that year was Die Hard, which had a huge impact on all action films that followed for many years and is arguably one of the best action movies ever made. Now I think most people would say Die Hard is the iconic movie of 1988 -- but in 1988, most people would say Roger Rabbit was the big one.

1999 is somewhat similar: TPM was the big get that year -- but The Matrix was such a superior movie is every way and far more impactful on movies. It even made Empire's list.

It's a bit strange to quantify "iconic" -- is it in the boxoffice (which must count popularity of the movie or at least interest at the time) or do you count what a particular film's impact was on movies and culture?

1988 is a good example: The big event movie that year was Roger Rabbit. A huge accomplishment with big names attached (Spielberg/Zemeckis) and the entire world of cartoons. Most people can't even watch that movie now. However, a much less successful film that year was Die Hard, which had a huge impact on all action films that followed for many years and is arguably one of the best action movies ever made. Now I think most people would say Die Hard is the iconic movie of 1988 -- but in 1988, most people would say Roger Rabbit was the big one.

1999 is somewhat similar: TPM was the big get that year -- but The Matrix was such a superior movie is every way and far more impactful on movies. It even made Empire's list.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors such as the quality of the product, people's change in taste over the years, and my favorite, the underrated or overlooked movie that in retrospect people praise and in some cases overhype because it makes them feel special like they discovered something precious. The Shawshank Redemption is a good movie that went mostly unnoticed in 1994, overshadowed by the critical, comercial and pop culture impact and success of Forest Gump and Pulp Fiction. Today, not only does The Shawshank Redemption have a higher critical rating, but it's often mention as one of, if not the best film of the 1990's. Perhaps FG and PF were over praised by critics, but the cultural impact was undeniable at the time. Nowadays, people criticize Pulp Fiction's "racism" or Forest Gump's lack of substance and depiction of a mentally challenged person. Who knows? Sometimes quality and critical success matters not, case and point, Rambo 2...a phenomenon in the 80's, yet hated by critics then and today mostly for political reasons. Is it iconic? Yes, would it make a list of most iconic films today? No.

There does seem in many cases to be the "popular" movie of a particular year and then also the "little movie that could".

You're right, time does change our views. Who knows, maybe in 50 years Roger Rabbit will be viewed as the greatest film ever made, and Die Hard will be a sad example of forgotten toxic masculinity which was completely wiped out in the turbulent 30's when the USA became the The Three Americas.

I had zero interest in RR the year it came out I was too busy falling in love with Nakatomi Plaza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had zero interest in RR the year it came out I was too busy falling in love with Nakatomi Plaza.

Ditto. 1988 was a powerhouse year for animation but no one remembers or cares about Roger Rabbit while My Neighbor Totoro and AKIRA get yearly theatrical re-releases to this day. Walk into any Barnes & Noble and there's an entire case full of Totoro collectibles to choose from.

I like RR, especially the 1950s setting in Hollywood with a private investigator as the protagonist who hates these color cartoons, almost like an allegory for racism, since he's ok with the old black and white cartoons. I thought Bob Hoskins was great in the role. The animation didn't age well. The cartoons look pale, like they lack color.

Like Avatar, I enjoyed it the first time I saw it. Then when it hit cable it became like nails on a chalkboard.

That Rabbit and his voice was what kills that movie. If they just used Bugs Bunny (or a character with more sarcasm and charm) it would have been a lot better. But it ended up being a loud mess. Too much screaming, too much yelling. Even the car. The cartoon work that wasn't Disney or Looneytoons was tragically poor. The Chinatown plot was the only amusing part when delivered by Doc Brown -- My God, it will be beautiful. But the pairing of the downbeat detective and the hyperactive cartoon-turned-up-to-11 was not a good pairing. As an allegory for racism -- I'll leave that alone considering a conservation white male saves them.

Bye Eddie....

Some of those are laughably bad. Black panther? Really? :lol

Had they started in 88 Cannibal Campout would’ve probably been the obvious choice for that year.

If the list started in 88, I think they would have chosen Die Hard or Big. I prefer Childs Play and Beetlejuice, but they dont stand a chance against DH or Big.

I recently watched BIG and just like Gremlins 1, Ghostbusters 1 and Trading Places it did not hold up. :gah:

Back