Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I remember your comments way back. You might have been on to something.

I'm still seeing it. I remember people did that with the Robocop reboot. It got some negative reviews and then people were like "nope, not see in' it". I never got that. I like going to the movies, I've rarely gone and regretted the price of admission, even if the reviews were bad. This is the last blockbuster of the year, I'm sure even if the plot and such are bad, there will be some cool visual things.

I think Nolan is going too far into the "human teary eyed feeling" take to throw something on other than a straight space epic of discovery. I don't get the 2001 comparisons- that film is the direct opposite of what Nolan is doing here. I was rooting for a more hardware/mind boggling visual film than I think we will be getting.
The story and visuals I've seen are just MEH to me...just not as excited as I think I should be over Nolan's new film. Must be me.

This movie is currently a 74% on RT? Wow, I always knew Nolan was overrated.

This movie is currently a 74% on RT? Wow, I always knew Nolan was overrated.

How is he overrated? His first 8 films all have a positive rating...not too many directors can say that.

The Following 78% critics approval / audience approval 94%

Momento 92% - 94%

Insomnia 92% - 72%

Batman Begins 85% - 94%

The Prestige 76% - 92%

The Dark Knight 94% - 94%

Inception 86% - 91%

The Dark Knight Rises 88% - 90%

How is he overrated? His first 8 films all have a positive rating...not too many directors can say that.

The Following 78%

Momento 92%

Insomnia 92%

Batman Begins 85%

The Prestige 76%

The Dark Knight 98%

Inception 86%

The Dark Knight Rises 88%

I was kidding, I’m a Dark Knight Trilogy fanboy, I love Nolan and most of his movies :lol

It’s funny, looking at that list, I think Insomnia was his worst film, shocked to see The Prestige at 76%

I was kidding, I’m a Dark Knight Trilogy fanboy, I love Nolan and most of his movies :lol

It’s funny, looking at that list, I think Insomnia was his worst film, shocked to see The Prestige at 76%

I really liked the Prestige too. I think Insomnia was Al Pacino's last good film....but I could be wrong :lol

This guy was overrated :lol

rNNYwYk.jpg

Next Spielberg? I feel bad for the guy who wrote that article :lol

I really liked the Prestige too. I think Insomnia was Al Pacino's last good film....but I could be wrong :lol

This guy was overrated :lol

rNNYwYk.jpg

Next Spielberg? I feel bad for the guy who wrote that article :lol

He still is one of the Best director out there.
The way he Rythms his scenes and frame his shot is much better than anthing Nolan did.
Just find something as powerful and iconic as some unbreakable scenes in his bat trilogy, as good as they are its mostly fanboy geekism not cinema.
Now he must leave his ego outside and not always write his scripts.
Damn even avatar had more iconic moments than Nolan bats...

As for Interstellar, who are the dumb peoples comparing it to 2001.
If you wanna compare to another movie, think CONTACT.

The way he Rythms his scenes and frame his shot is much better than anthing Nolan did.
Just find something as powerful and iconic as some unbreakable scenes in his bat trilogy, as good as they are its mostly fanboy geekism not cinema.

I haven’t seen the movie so I can’t compare, but I do know Nolan himself said he used 2001 as inspiration along with some other films, thats probably where the comparison is coming from.

HKojoBJ.gif

Cant wait for the next Nolan flick that Will cure Cancer ^^

Simple observation mate, tak fujimoto cinematophy, james newton howard music, Shyamalan directs better than Nolan in my book.
Now his persona and script choices got him to become the laughing stock of the fanboy geek community but man a guy who can made Paul Giammati incredibly more iconic while lifting a broomstick than Bane vs Bat on those stairs ( damn that was so poorly shot than even the bystanders vidéos were more epic) is what i call a director. Nolan should stick to what he does best, close to his characters like in the Prestige ( his Best) memento, insomnia and Forget big blockbusters.

Saw Interstellar this morning.
Its good, with cool visuals and concepts but it tries too hard to make you feel stuff, i mean they try every trick in the book and it feels forced. Its relentless, you have no Time to enjoy some of the beautiful vista you get to see in space.
And when i say think CONTACT man i did not knew it was going to be this close.
As i read in a review

“They should have sent a poet.”

"That line from Contact is probably the best summation of Interstellar, a well-made, well-meaning movie that somehow manages to undersell the grandeur of interstellar travel. It’s a movie designed for people who watched the bedroom sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey and wished there was more exposition about who built the room, how, why and what thread count was on that bed; Christopher Nolan, who aspires to Kubrick’s precision, cannot match his messy metaphysics. There’s an equation for every emotion in Interstellar, including love."

Now its not a bad film, and its cool to have more "adult" scifi and not just pew pew owe laser and stuff actioner.
It's just not THAT good. Prepare for an entertaining flick tho.

Simple observation mate, tak fujimoto cinematophy, james newton howard music, Shyamalan directs better than Nolan in my book.
Now his persona and script choices got him to become the laughing stock of the fanboy geek community but man a guy who can made Paul Giammati incredibly more iconic while lifting a broomstick than Bane vs Bat on those stairs ( damn that was so poorly shot than even the bystanders vidéos were more epic) is what i call a director. Nolan should stick to what he does best, close to his characters like in the Prestige ( his Best) memento, insomnia and Forget big blockbusters.

Saw Interstellar this morning.
Its good, with cool visuals and concepts but it tries too hard to make you feel stuff, i mean they try every trick in the book and it feels forced.
Its relentless, you have no Time to enjoy some of the beautiful vista you get to see in space.
And when i say think CONTACT man i did not knew it was going to be this close.
As i read i a review

“They should have sent a poet.”

"That line from Contact is probably the best summation of Interstellar, a well-made, well-meaning movie that somehow manages to undersell the grandeur of interstellar travel. It’s a movie designed for people who watched the bedroom sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey and wished there was more exposition about who built the room, how, why and what thread count was on that bed; Christopher Nolan, who aspires to Kubrick’s precision, cannot match his messy metaphysics. There’s an equation for every emotion in Interstellar, including love."

Now its not a bad film, and its cool to have more "adult" scifi and not just pew pew owe laser and stuff actioner.
It's just not THAT good.

That about sums up what I thought it was going to amount to. I never understood why Nolan is put on such a high pedestal. I still want to see it, for free online :wave

Nah it's worth the price of the admission to see it on a big screen.
Some beautiful vistas.

As for Nolan, we'll I was on that boat after The Prestige, I liked the fact that he had comfortable budgets to tell ambitious stories.
Most of the big money movies are usually dumbed down to appeal to the most large audience.
Loved Batman begins at the time, it's approach of the material, already I saw the flaws in the way he shot action but that was ok.
Dkr was very cool again action was meh and damn I was annoyed by how he refused to iconise Batman, basically shooting him like a guy in riot gear.
We'll ok I made peace with that. Then Inception, wich as a lot of fun but man i started to realise how his movies felt more and more pretentious, falsy complex, supposed to be intelligent. Or maybe it was a reaction to people who keep saying it was so smart... I was like huh you haven't seen or read a lot haven't you lol
Nolan is a solid director, he has not a great directing style, just look at transcendence shot by his DP wich basically look like a Nolan movie ( btw Interstellar is as dumb as transcendence sometimes wich was an ok film in my book just badly cast and came a bit too late). Now that I don't put him on that piedestal I can enjoy his movies for what they are, more adult blockbusters, entertainment for Friday nights with your friends.
Nolan is Not a big director with deep meaning movies but he is no Michael Bay.
He us the link between pure entertainment and auteurs aspirations.
It's already that, we have enough incompetent directors out there.

I liked Batman Begins, but I think it's the only of those films I can rewatch. TDK didn't age well with me, and after so many years I don't know why I ever thought it was as great as I used to. Ledger was great, but outside of that it's a cluster **** movie.

Now his persona and script choices got him to become the laughing stock of the fanboy geek community but man a guy who can made Paul Giammati incredibly more iconic while lifting a broomstick than Bane vs Bat on those stairs.

You must live in an alternate reality if you thinks there's anything "iconic" about Shyamalan's films :lol There's only one "iconic" scene in all those terrible films..."I see dead people." That's it. Also, Shyamalan doesn't really know how to work with actors just like George Lucas, which is a VERY important part of being a good director. All of the performances by the actors in the Shyamalan films are exactly the same...dull and boring. Not to mention hilariously bad...in most films :lol Anyway, it's all subjective I guess, you think he's good and I don't. :)

Back