Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't found this board any more or less depressing than any other board. If anything, the membership here seems like a tight knit group of people.......I saw this trailer, and it has me INTRIGUED....

Just to point out that my post wasn't a personal attack on any one specific, just a general observation. I've not really read this thread but I was just basing my post on other threads and comments that I've seen over the years. I just happened to see Irvy's comment at the top of this page and it struck a chord with me.

I still visit here, usually without logging in, to get movie news, trailers, information on new statues and figures, art prints, etc. I get the basic information I'm looking for and then just read a few comments or scan over them. I don't feel the need to interact that much any more.

Peace! :monkey3

PsychoCenobite :horror

If the board is so depressing, negative and full of people that act like immature children, then why do you guys still hang around then? The door is right there.

This place doesn't seem bad to me, in fact, it seems better than it was a few years ago. Sure, you'll have your occasional squabbles about statues, action figures and movies, but so what? It's a ****ing message board. It'd be boring if we were all mindless drones agreeing on every damn thing. Those gifs of people "trying to be funny" or their posts in general atleast evoke a sense of personality instead of crying about people that don't happen to like somebody else's said statue, action figure or movie.

Yup the door is right there, and I'm going through it right now. I may peek through the keyhole on the other side once in a while but that's pretty much about it.

If the board is so depressing, negative and full of people that act like immature children, then why do you guys still hang around then? The door is right there.

This place doesn't seem bad to me, in fact, it seems better than it was a few years ago. Sure, you'll have your occasional squabbles about statues, action figures and movies, but so what? It's a ****ing message board. It'd be boring if we were all mindless drones agreeing on every damn thing. Those gifs of people "trying to be funny" or their posts in general atleast evoke a sense of personality instead of crying about people that don't happen to like somebody else's said statue, action figure or movie.

:yess: :hi5: :goodpost:

What is with the flood of people who go to threads to ***** about people *****ing about people who don't like what the thread is discussing? The utter hypocrisy of being negative about people being negative aside, when did it become 'bad' to disagree on a topic? Who wants to post if we all agreed on everything? It would seem like a cult and you'd get no cool counterpoint to consider. Rock on DiFab :rock

This doesn't look as good as I expected tbh.

The plot seems bizarre to say the least. We're crazy desperate to survive so we send one team into space led by a farmer? I know Nolan's stories are highly psychological but this seems like a stretch too far.

And based on Difab's description, I hope to hell that this isn't going to rely on a twist or gimmick like a reveal it was his kids all along. Nolans quickly becoming the next M. Night Shyamalan where all his movies try to have some twist at the expense of everything else he's built up along the way. Prestige, Inception, Rises, too much reliance on a twist. We get it, I'm expecting it now and that's not good. I was excited that Nolan's finally doing a movie he actually wants to do again but after this trailer, my expectations are lowered.

I agree...seems to by the numbers....I wasn't intugued by the premise..however I will hope Nolan can do something good with it. I think he might.

Not riveting to me either but I will see it cause Nolan is awesome. I too was hoping for some interesting near future tech but it wasn't there. :(

Looks like a well-made movie, but nothing in the trailer really makes me want to go see it. Having Nolan's name slapped on there isn't enough and while I dig the cast and can see the high production values, the trailer itself advertises a mundane film.

Nolan trailers never do. His trailers are set to pique interest and not give the game away. That's refreshing in an age where I have had too many films ruined by watching the trailers.

My interest was far from piqued. :lol Being part of the ADD generation's got nothing to do with it either. Even if you're not giving the game away, the point of a preview is to at least inspire curiosity.

It's just that when you hear Nolan and Sci-Fi, you expect something new we haven't seen before. Something like Inception.

This reminds me of that movie with Billy Bob Thorton where he's a farmer that builds his own Rocket to go into space.

I'm starting to think that there is a disconnect with some of these guys, and they don't realize that what they're doing does not look or feel original. I mean, I really doubt Nolan knows just how much sci-fi this generation has been exposed to in video games or smaller films for example. No way he's familiar with Half-Life or Portal and the insane amount of aesthetics and design that has already been done or story that's already been told in that media. But that unfamiliarity can hurt him more than he knows.

Pfister is a perfect example with that crap he just put out, Transcendence. He kept heralding it as so original but it was something we've seen a million times before repackaged with an a-list cast which does not help. And it bombed hard because everyone knew they'd already seen it, the only difference was a "twist" ending.

It's a lame thing to rely on and won't get you very far.

It's just that when you hear Nolan and Sci-Fi, you expect something new we haven't seen before. Something like Inception.

This reminds me of that movie with Billy Bob Thorton where he's a farmer that builds his own Rocket to go into space.

I'm starting to think that there is a disconnect with some of these guys, and they don't realize that what they're doing does not look or feel original. I mean, I really doubt Nolan knows just how much sci-fi this generation has been exposed to in video games or smaller films for example. No way he's familiar with Half-Life or Portal and the insane amount of aesthetics and design that has already been done or story that's already been told in that media. But that unfamiliarity can hurt him more than he knows.

Pfister is a perfect example with that crap he just put out, Transcendence. He kept heralding it as so original but it was something we've seen a million times before repackaged with an a-list cast which does not help. And it bombed hard because everyone knew they'd already seen it, the only difference was a "twist" ending.

It's a lame thing to rely on and won't get you very far.

I hope Nolan sees enough sci-fi and other films to see what's out there!
However he is a big fan of 2001 A Space Odyssey- to me that's all I need to hear. I had hoped he would try to see how he could build and improve on the space stuff in that film(which still stands head and shoulders above all space films).
I froze- you are right- Billy Bob cornfield rocket. I knew that bad image I had seen before...! Something is awry with this movie already!

I wore Nam's insult "Nolancompoop" as a badge of pride. But I would be lying if the trailer has me anymore excited to see this movie than I was before they released a teaser for it. In fact, I'm probably less excited than when we just had a title. I do appreciate them keeping the entire story and the money shots under wraps though. This lackluster trailer could just be the first act of the movie played out so we can see the rest of the story unfold with virgin eyes in the theater. Who knows at this point if this will be a great movie or not? It's too early to call it either way but there's no denying that this trailer is sure to not lure in a large crowd of people who don't know the name Christopher Nolan.

Sure, you'll have your occasional squabbles about statues, action figures and movies, but so what? It's a ****ing message board. It'd be boring if we were all mindless drones agreeing on every damn thing. Those gifs of people "trying to be funny" or their posts in general atleast evoke a sense of personality instead of crying about people that don't happen to like somebody else's said statue, action figure or movie.

What is with the flood of people who go to threads to ***** about people *****ing about people who don't like what the thread is discussing? The utter hypocrisy of being negative about people being negative aside, when did it become 'bad' to disagree on a topic? Who wants to post if we all agreed on everything? It would seem like a cult and you'd get no cool counterpoint to consider. Rock on DiFab :rock

I like the train of thought here and fully support the people who don't support agreeing and fully support those who disagree which wholeheartedly involves disagreeing with those that disagree with members who like something. It would be so boring with only those who disagree with liking anything. THankfully people are allowed to spice it up and share their own opinion of disagreeing with those who don't like when people agree to like anything in particular. Specifically agreeing to like not agreeing with people liking something.

Now I'm inspired and off to do some random disagreeing to all of those boring members agreeing to like something and/or those members who are agreeing to dislike other members agreeing about liking something. Cause spending my time liking anything is way too boring.

And I can't wait for a reply to this post. Whether it's supportive or negative, I will disagree!!! Screw the drones!!!!!!!!! Hear me RAWR!!!:rock :rock :rock!!

Trailer looked great to me, doesn’t give too much away but there are clues in there to find. Chastain and Affleck look to be McConaughey’s children grown up. I love time travel movies so this has me excited.

Last edited:
From what I gather in the trailer, the story takes place in the not too distant future. Matthew McConaughey is a brilliant farmer dude with a family. The world is experiencing a famine and will end soon. Matthew McConaughey goes on a mission to space to find another habitat for humans to live on to survive. During the space trip, they enter a wormhole, **** goes down and they warp.

After they find a new civilization or hope for Earth, McConaughey returns and his kids are either dead or really, really old. The End.

I was under the assumption that this was a movie about time travel. The goal is that Nasa has pooled their last resources to build the worlds last space ship so Mcconaughey can enter a wormhole and when he comes out on the other side he's like a 100 years in the past and he needs to stop us from destroying the planet and then he tries to come back home to the future? I haven't heard one thing about traveling to other planets and eco systems for us to live on, I've only heard time travel.

If McConaughey's character comes back and his kids are older and what have you, I don't think that would necessarily constitute a time travel story as such, instead that's more about time dilation, which isn't time travel anymore than you walking away from a stationary person as you are travelling closer to the speed of light blah blah blah

If that does happen, it would be very Planet of the Apes, and I'd hardly consider that a time travel story, the first one anyway. As soon as you go back in time, then fair enough, I'd give you that

But if he goes through a wormhole, why would he be coming back to an aged family? The whole point of a wormhole is to avoid the problem of passing time as it gets you from one part of space to another instaneously

Having said that, it's all theory anyway so I guess you can embelish

If McConaughey's character comes back and his kids are older and what have you, I don't think that would necessarily constitute a time travel story as such, instead that's more about time dilation, which isn't time travel anymore than you walking away from a stationary person as you are travelling closer to the speed of light blah blah blah

If that does happen, it would be very Planet of the Apes, and I'd hardly consider that a time travel story, the first one anyway. As soon as you go back in time, then fair enough, I'd give you that

But if he goes through a wormhole, why would he be coming back to an aged family? The whole point of a wormhole is to avoid the problem of passing time as it gets you from one part of space to another instaneously

Having said that, it's all theory anyway so I guess you can embelish

Yea, this is looking like its dealing with time dilation, but I’m going to categorize the movie under time travel for now.

This seems consistent with the time dilation that occurs at speeds asymptotically close to the speed of light, I always wanted to see a film that addresses what would happen if you left on a long interstellar flight and you HAD to come back to see your family age and what emotional impact that would have. That situation seems like it could be the emotional heart at the center of INTERSTELLAR.

In that trailer is seems Jessica Chastain is wearing her fathers jacket, makes me think she’s older Murph, besides sharing a resemblance to the younger actress.

In the script, back when Murph was a boy, the audience does see him as a man (and when he got older, he's the one that establishes a better civilization to live on).

So yeah, I'm sure that Chastain is the older Murph.

Yea, this is looking like its dealing with time dilation, but I’m going to categorize the movie under time travel for now.

This seems consistent with the time dilation that occurs at speeds asymptotically close to the speed of light, I always wanted to see a film that addresses what would happen if you left on a long interstellar flight and you HAD to come back to see your family age and what emotional impact that would have. That situation seems like it could be the emotional heart at the center of INTERSTELLAR.

In that trailer is seems Jessica Chastain is wearing her fathers jacket, makes me think she’s older Murph, besides sharing a resemblance to the younger actress.

So Planet of The Apes almost? :lol

YOU MANIACS!! YOU DID IT, YOU COMPLETELY RUINED SUPERMAN!!!! DAMN YOU WARNER BROTHERS, DAMN YOU ALL TO DEVELOPMENT HELL!!!!

Back