AvP:R Predalien hybrid full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Anderson doesnt work in the "make sense world"

Tell me about it! Btw, do you happen to know if the extra scenes added to the new "special edition" DVD make any sort of improvements to the original in regard to the inconsistencies? If so, I might give it a look.

No.
I bought the special edition and it's the one I watch, but there are no major differences. There's an extended scene at the beginning, showing the events at the island 100 before, and there's CGI blood added (which looks like crap).
But that's about it.
Oh, and I think there's a longer conversation between Lex and Sebastien (or whatever his name was) about the preds.

No.
I bought the special edition and it's the one I watch, but there are no major differences. There's an extended scene at the beginning, showing the events at the island 100 before, and there's CGI blood added (which looks like crap).
But that's about it.
Oh, and I think there's a longer conversation between Lex and Sebastien (or whatever his name was) about the preds.

That's about what I expected. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Isnt there an Unrated edition of the film also?

whats that got that these dont

Maybe that's the one I heard about. Someone said there was like 20 minutes of extra footage, or something like that. Has anyone else seen or heard of it? Then again, maybe it's the same abake was talking about. ???

Oh... sorry to hear that. So far I have refrained from adding that particular movie to my DVD collection. Got it off the tube on video, tho (for free). Good enough for me until some sort of super-remastered version comes out with about an hour of added story that actually make sense! :D

Hmmm...

Just thinking...I would prefer it if the new film was just simply called 'Aliens vs Predator'...

Unfortunately people would get confused...

Maybe that's the one I heard about. Someone said there was like 20 minutes of extra footage, or something like that. Has anyone else seen or heard of it? Then again, maybe it's the same abake was talking about. ???

It's the same one, and it's only a few minutes longer.

this is something that caused some talk on the internet a while back. Apparently it's a transcript from a Q&A session with Paul W. Anderson regarding AvP. Part of me wants to believe it, but part of me doesn't. I hope it's ok to post here.

Paul W.S. Anderson Responds to 'Alien vs Predator'
Get more on Alien Vs Predator | Posted 08.19.04 @ 12:02 am ]

There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding Paul Anderson's Alien vs Predator, which hit theaters last week. Whether it's on IMDB or right here at Mr. Disgusting's review, people either hated the film or loved it. But what everyone really wants to know is what was with all the talk of the movie not being completed and why is it rated PG-13? If you read on, all of your questions will be answered by the director himself Paul W.S. Anderson...

LAgrappleguy writes in the following (also posted on IMDB):
Hi Brad... There was an industry screening of AVP the other night, and I was lucky enough to attend. It included a Q&A with the filmmakers. I was able to ask some of the questions on my mind, but I couldn't get them all in. Regardless, many of the people who were also there had similar questions.

First of all, this screening was made up of industry professionals and filmmakers. No actors, but David Fincher, (Director of Alien 3) was there, which was cool. Now the audience were trying to be respectful in the beginning but as the film unfolded, the audience ended up really trashing the film. It was astounding to see Anderson's colleagues and friends openly making fun of his film, with him in the room!

When the Predator took off his helmet in front of Lex after the explosions someone shouted "Gimme some sugar, baby." I mean, this movie was bad, but I didn't expect these people to be so blatant about it.

When Anderson and the effects guys approached the tables, they were smirking with each other. The first subject that came up, no thanks to me, was the length and PG-13 rating.

So here it is, from the horses mouth.

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then. Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

Without saying anything that could dig his own grave, Anderson tactfully pinned the fault of the poor quality of the film on the studio's cut. We all know that the script and performances was not quite up to par either, but then it was time for me to ask my first question.

"What specifically, makes you [Anderson] such a fan of the original 6 films?"

He went on to say that he thought they each had their own unique voice and were incredibly creative within a genre that often leads to purely formulaic films (ahem, mate, this is you!). He said that he was attempting to add his own unique voice to the series while paying hommage to the original source material. He also thought that the creatures, were the two greatest inventions in Science Fiction history. Someone then said, "Beyond lightsabers?" and he replied, "yes, even beyond lightsabers."

Some other effects questions were asked, which had some cool insights. The explosion sequence encompassed for half the budget, which was only 65mil in the first place (for a film like this, this is nothing), and all the shifting of the walls, yes ALL OF IT, was completely CGI. There were no moving live sets. Having watched it again, I have to say, I couldn't tell, and all my friends know that if there's some CG in a film, I'll see it. That impressed me. Also, they changed the appearance of the Queen slightly, adding a ridge to her crown and taking away, what they call, the "high heals" that she wore (the second reverse knee). Also, 80% of all the shots with an Alien in it was the hydraulic Alien they built.

Anyway, effects aside, I asked another question.

"I know that the AVP project has been surrounded by controversy since the first attempt in the early nineties. Why did you choose to not use any of the pre-existing stories, the original comic series, the Peter Briggs script, etc?"

He told me that he wanted to make the film his own. He also proclaimed that he'd had the idea for this film ever since seeing Predator 2. I thought that was probably ego-driven BS, but regardless, it's what he said. He also said that the Peter Briggs script is completely off-limits, shelved indefinately by Dark Horse and they won't let anyone tough it. Sounds to me like he tried, heh heh.

Later I asked some technical nerd questions. I wasn't the only one. I started by stating that I noticed some glaring continuity errors between this film and the pre-established occurences in the previous 6 films. Anderson stopped me before I could continue and said due to the "mangling" of the film, there was a lot left out. I asked, "Does that include the acceleration of the alien life cycle or was that just conveniant."

Whoops, I had hit a nerve. He shook his head. "No, no, the machine that the Predators built to house the Queen pumps her full of hormones that accelerate the birth of the creatures. If we'd seen the REAL film, we'd know that."

The answer to why Aliens attacked the incubated predator was that the alien inside the Predator was not sanctified by the Aliens because it was essentially a different species due to the DNA reflex the Alien's possess. Okay, I guess I could go with that.

The Q&A wrapped up with talks about the digital intermediate and the difference between working with Super35 and Anamorphic.

I tried asking a last question but they ended it before I could. I pretty much hogged the Q&A as it was.

Afterwards I went and shook Anderson's hand. He remembered me from a mutual acquaintances birthday party. I told him I couldn't wait for the Director's Cut and was really nice. I asked about a sequal and he said he'd thought about it but nothing concrete was in motion. They were waiting to see about the returns. I told him I had what he neede and I would send him my treatment through CAA. I assured him it was a direct sequal and he said, "Good." I then said, so they're letting you have a Director's cut, huh? He said, "yeah, it'll be great." Then I said, "can I give you some advice from the youngest generation of filmmakers, namely, me." He said, "Sure, go for it." I said, "The facehuggers are fast, damn fast, get rid of the matrix shot when they jump out of the eggs for the first time." He said he'd take that into consideration. Then I started talking about the reviews. I talked about IMDB and how much of a "Lover Versus Haters" war had erupted. He seemed amused by that and then said,
to my surprise, well, as a filmmaker, I'm satisfied with the film, but as a fan of the originals, this cut really pisses me off, so it makes sense I guess." he said he'd check it out (the IMDB boards) but I can't gaurantee that will happen.

All in all I was really happy about what he had to say. It was great to hear a filmmaker so honest about his work and he knows that he has a long way to go before he is any good as a filmmaker. Having talked to him before, I know that the films he is making now are films that, he feels, will only get him to a place where he can really excel.

Oh well, there it is, hope that shed some light on some stuff. Oh, and apparently, the book they wrote is based on the original R-rated cut, so that'll tell you what is missing.

Source: LAgrappleguy, IMDB

That "interview" came up a long time ago (obviously) and I think the conclusion most came to was that it was bull****. As in made up.
How or why, I've no idea.

i bet it's smarter then the aliens.

Weeeeellll... Alien Warriors are about as intelligent as keen dogs, and the Queen, supposedly, is at least as smart as most humans (because of the small number of queens though, the species doesn't develop technology or anything... it doesn't NEED it, and she spends time laying eggs and directing orders throughout the Hive; a.k.a. she was "aware" of where the USCM's were through the whole movie, how far they were in the hive, etc.)

As far as the whole Anderson thing, his RE movies were mediocre - though better than AVP, IMHO.

I always found this concept a bit silly and extreme, but I also understand the whole "new design" concepts that every director (or pair of directors:cool:) incorporates into the Alien physiology. Hmmm...

Paul talks too much **** and gives himself too much credit in my opinion

"ive had the idea for avp since predator 2"

Well if you had it in your head that long you had long enough to make a great story, not the crap that was released. You can spin any bull**** after the movie is made and the real hardcore fans knitpick it. "accelerated growth hormones"... Sheesh

So can someone out there tell me is there a 'long' directors cut out there.
So theres the bog standard theatrical cut-

https://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=16078

theres the two disk 'Extreme' edition that I have running at 102 mins-

https://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=14538&subcat=region3

I found this 'Directors cut'-

https://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=23540

but it's only listed as 105 mins long, I'm not buying it again for another three stinking minutes of screen time.

I have to say it is far, far, far from even being in my top 100 movies, but I enjoyed it on the whole, lots of plot and continuity problems, but because I didn't see it till I got the DVD and I totaly expected for it to stink, I was actually pleasently surprised.
But I'd love to see this 'mythical' directors cut, but only if it's significantly longer and better. I can't see the missing/deleted SFX scenes being financed by anyone unless they thought they'd get a good return, Anderson would have to pull a miracle out of his hat to do that.

Back