HOT TOYS- ALIEN 3 - DOG ALIEN full spec and hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nah. i'll eventually lose interest and move on to something else.
and you'll still be stuck with a figure you paid ~$140 for and doesn't look like the movie and now sells for $115.

high five.

You should pay more attention to my collection.

I'm not hung up on accuracy. I've got plenty of accurate pieces to suit my taste.

And, I can afford to spend $140 (or much more) on a piece...so your attempt at making me feel bad about the purchase falls far short of your expectations.

I have one...you don't...I'm content with that. :D

You should pay more attention to my collection.

I'm not hung up on accuracy. I've got plenty of accurate pieces to suit my taste.

And, I can afford to spend $140 (or much more) on a piece...so your attempt at making me feel bad about the purchase falls far short of your expectations.

I have one...you don't...I'm content with that. :D

Now that we're on the subject, ^^^^ing incredible collection you've got there man. :rock :rock

Oh yeah, HT's dragon is as inaccurate as all their other aliens, and if you buy them, you just have to accept that.
I'm still hoping for NECA to produce the rest of the aliens, hopefully in glorious 1/6 scale...

This figure, the aliens warrior and the AvP:R figures are the 'Hmm, in retrospect, I could have lived without them afterall' items in my collection. I suspect the Big Chap would be also so I think I'll wait for in-hand pics.

The dog alien may be rife with innaccuracies but the mouth is the primary one for me and I find it difficult to excuse. He looks more like a piranha....didn't kenner make a piranha alien?

Originally Posted by VALVOLINER
Put together the right leg was a real pain in the ass for me...the ball joint did not fit in the hole,even using brute force

For the coating, I repainted it with games workshop gloss varnish and looks pretty good now.(I have painted the mouth and tongue too)

Is it safe to use this on rubber would you think?..painted it recently? and if not..how is it holding up?.

Yes I repainted my Dog Alien in July ..but 2 weeks ago I repainted "some parts" with "ceramic Varnish"too. Is a very strong, solid and gloosy varnish.
The games workshop varnish is vey soft so I keep for the joints parts;(knees,elbows..)
For the moments the "Thing" is holding up well :D (Wel,ll see what,s happen 1 or 2 years later..)

Hello guys! I'm new on the forums, although I've been lurking around here for quite some time. I've recently purchased this figure off of BBTS and I had a lot of trouble assembling it. So much in fact, that I gave up putting the leg on, out of fear of breaking anything else.

Hot Toys' - surprisingly fast - customer support tipped me on the hair drier technique, which I've already tried. They told me to expose the leg piece to hot air for 2 to 3 minutes, which I find to be a whole lot, since the rubber coating on the piece feels rather fragile. I tried heating it up for about 1 minute, to no avail. Somehow I think the socket on the leg is simply too small for the ball joint to fit.

Some people suggested that I used lubricant oils, but I think they might be somewhat abrasive, and even a small contact surface can do a lot of damage to the exterior rubber over time. I'm not sure about this though.

Do you guys have any tips on how to propperly attach the leg? Won't a 3-minute continuous exposure to hot air damage the rubber?

Thanks! :D

... be careful not to handle the legs too much when assembling. The coating that gives it the shiny comes off very easily, especially if you are messing with the legs not popping together easily.

I ended up using a knife and shaving off just a big of the ball that went into the thigh. That was enough to get it in, but the joint was still super tight.

It seems most people have trouble getting it's leg on. Your choices are boiling hot water, hair dryer, sand some of the ball down, brute force or a combination. Someone said there's went on fairly easily, so it could be the angle used.

Maybe try using the blow dryer, and surround the ball with some aluminium to protect the rest of the figure from the heat.

It seems most people have trouble getting it's leg on. Your choices are boiling hot water, hair dryer, sand some of the ball down, brute force or a combination. Someone said there's went on fairly easily, so it could be the angle used.

Maybe try using the blow dryer, and surround the ball with some aluminium to protect the rest of the figure from the heat.

Hey, thanks for the fast response!
I've read this thread - well most of it, since a great deal of what's been discussed here has more to do with the Alien movie franchise than with the piece itself - and that very post you've quoted.
I think there's nothing much left for me to try. I'll stick to the blow dryer for a while, and if that doesn't work I'll sand some of the ball joint out and see what goes. I really don't understand why Hot Toys didn't package the figure fully assembled, since there's enough room on the package. But I'm a bit mental. :google

Certain Hot Toys figures are sold as model kits, the earlier Predators for example. It may have something to do with licensing. It could be that another company has the license for 1/6th figures and this could be a way for Hot Toys to get around that.

Certain Hot Toys figures are sold as model kits, the earlier Predators for example. It may have something to do with licensing. It could be that another company has the license for 1/6th figures and this could be a way for Hot Toys to get around that.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I've always thought that labeling their Predator figures 'model kits' - as Hot Toys themselves do - was a bit too much. I don't really mind it, though, and I never had any issues with any of the HT preds that I own. But this Alien was really frustrating.

I had a nightmare of a time with the leg aswell. I had to strip back the rubber and just use a combination of dipping the joint in boiling water and brute force. I got it on eventually but not without rubbing off all the gloss paint and causing myself a lot of stress in the process. I honestly wanted to throw the figure on the ground and stamp it into oblivion such was my frustration. And at the end of it all its one of my least favourite Hot Toys figures in my collection as IMO it bears little resemblance to the film creature in the vital area of the face. The other innaccuracies I'd excuse if they'd gotten that area right but overall its a disappointing HT Alien made worse by the ridiculously difficult assembly.

I had a nightmare of a time with the leg aswell. I had to strip back the rubber and just use a combination of dipping the joint in boiling water and brute force. I got it on eventually but not without rubbing off all the gloss paint and causing myself a lot of stress in the process. I honestly wanted to throw the figure on the ground and stamp it into oblivion such was my frustration. And at the end of it all its one of my least favourite Hot Toys figures in my collection as IMO it bears little resemblance to the film creature in the vital area of the face. The other innaccuracies I'd excuse if they'd gotten that area right but overall its a disappointing HT Alien made worse by the ridiculously difficult assembly.

I couldn't agree more. I only got this one because I got it with another HT figure (the T-600/Rubber skin version) and it cost me half of what most folks are usually charging for it (around 70 USD MIB. I'm not sure how much it was exactly because of the shipping fee for the two figures, but 70 dollars is a reasonable mark).

I finally managed to get the leg to fit onto the joint - alas not without submitting the figure to an obscene amount of stress. Also, the paint apps on the right leg's knee started to peel off out of all the pressure I had to apply to get it on. Add to that the fact that I feel rather insecure about posing the Alien, since if the darn leg comes off I probably won't have the patience to assemble it again.

Hot Toys has some of the licences I like the most, and so far I've had good experiences with their figures. It isn't to say though that they're all flawless. Every and each piece that I own has had some issue quality-wise, such as loose joints, weak pegs, extremely fragile accessories and the like. Still, I must confess that I'm generally pleased with their oft-debated use of stylization, since they tend to deliver really impressive and beautiful sculpts.

Even though I can understand the whole licensing issue that has been brought up a few posts ago - and on other posts as well - I think they can afford to go that extra mile and release action figures instead of model kits for the licenses they own without changing their - ever increasing - price tags. I bet they get lots of CS tickets for all the broken pegs and the such. That's a surefire way to piss collectors off, and if they really had any serious competitor, that'd surely hurt them. Nevertheless, as many others have said, it's not like we have an alternative action figure of this Alien on this scale - or in any other scale, since I'm not willing to include that 7" McFarlane garbage as a candidate. The same goes for most of Hot Toys' licenses and that's why we willingfully submit ourselves to performing the antithesis of what our hobby was supposed to do for us; ie., instead of having fun displaying our figures, we endure in fiendish activities such as putting the Dog Alien together, figuring out how to assemble John Connor's attire or being bored to tears while gluing the AvP Elder Predator's quills.

Sorry for the lenghty post. I'm just really, really pissed off. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

edit: now that I see it assembled I tremble in fear when I think of doing some of the poses that were posted here!!

Last edited:
Its been almost a year since I got this figure and so far its lost its "clicky" joint in its right knee. And where there are elbow bends and leg/knee bends the skin ripped off. Mind you, Its been hardly touched or rough handled. My room isnt hot or anything either. I was really excited to get this figure now I despise anything rubbery from Hot Toys..

I had a real pain trying to get the leg on mine as well... eventually I ended up shaving off a bit of both the ball joint and socket. After that it popped into place just fine and stayed put.

But, this one was a real pain. So far I think the joints are holding up, but honestly I posed him and left him be.

Don't want to make a new thread for this so I'm gonna post this here instead.

While I was looking at my dog's jaw, I noticed it was a little misaligned then I checked the photos on wookster's review on mwctoys and it also has the misaligned jaw. Is this common on everyone's dog?

review_htdogalien_5.jpg

Back