X-men First Class (Singer is back)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I've mentioned before, it's a prequel, not a reboot:

The LA Times Hero Complex had the chance to catch up with X-Men and Superman Returns director Bryan Singer and his studio producer Lauren Shuler Donner while they were both reminiscing about past projects and discussing plans for their next collaboration, X-Men: First Class.

Singer explained that his return to the franchise was due to his affinity towards the characters,

"I genuinely like the people, and my personality meshes more with this universe than it does with other universes, I think; I see that now at this point," Singer said. "I feel a connection to the X-Men characters and also the ensemble nature of the films. If you look at 'Usual Suspects'' or my last film, 'Valkyrie,' I feel especially comfortable with ensemble juggling. In the space between all the characters you can disguise a central thought that's hidden in all the discourse. I missed that with the singular relationship story of Superman. And, well, it always gives you something to cut to..."

X-Men: First Class is a prequel film, loosely based on the comic series of the same title, that will focus on the beginning of Xavier's school for mutants. Younger actors will portray the previously seen characters Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Beast. When asked if a certain actor might return as Wolverine, Singer just shrugged, "I had lunch with Hugh Jackman today."

Singer feels that a film that follows a group of super powered schoolkids isn't enough to carry the story; that's why the film will focus on two battling adults,

"Just doing younger mutants is not enough. The story needs to be more than that. I love the relationship between Magneto and Xavier, these two men who have diametrically opposite points of view but still manage to be friends -- to a point. They are the ultimate frenemies."

Apparently X-Men: First Class isn't the only X-film that Singer has his eye on. Shuler Donner has pitched Singer on taking the reigns of a fourth installment of the original X-Men franchise. Singer does seem interested in returning to an adult X-Men film. He told Donner, "Hold that one off for just a little, I'm fixated on the other one right now." Donner answered with, "I will, I will ... I'm holding it open with high hopes. It's totally different [from 'First Class'] and it will be so interesting for you."

If two future X-films isn't enough, it seems that Hugh Jackman's lunch date with Singer was really a cover to coax him into a helming another project; which may be the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine film.

"I wish I could be four people," the director said with a moan. "I could make everybody happy."

they could also add the juggernaut/xavier story in there...they must change juggy's suit though...closer the comic one though.

I'm not. Unless they stick lots of other X-characters into the film, I'm not that interested in seeing a "how he became Magneto" kind of thing. Sounds boring. Of course, I'm sure that they would stick lots of other X-characters in there, so maybe it could be watchable, if not good (a la Wolverine).

I'm not. Unless they stick lots of other X-characters into the film, I'm not that interested in seeing a "how he became Magneto" kind of thing. Sounds boring. Of course, I'm sure that they would stick lots of other X-characters in there, so maybe it could be watchable, if not good (a la Wolverine).

I'd like to see the roots of Magneto and Charles up to the point where Magneto got fed up and became the bad guy we've already seen him as.

I don't mind Wolverine movies as long as they're with Hugh. Not sure about a prequel movie, though I would like to see another movie with the original cast.

Judging by the number of monthly Wolverine and X titles, someone thinks we need a lot.
I get that Wolvie is the most popular X-Man (possibly the most popular Marvel character--definitely a race between him and Spidey). And I collected comics in the early 90s, when he was a guest-star in every other comic that came out where he wasn't the star or a member of the team. However, that doesn't take anything away from the fact that we've already had 3 Wolverine movies (X-Men, X2, and Wolverine Origins). If they want to do a "early X-Men" picture and stick him in it, then make "Magneto: Origins" essentially "Magneto and Wolverine--The Early Years," then it starts getting really ridiculous, IMO

I think it'd be really dumb if they put Wolverine in the First Class movie. It makes no sense.

Interesting development. Also rumor is that Marvel Studios while optioned away to 20th Century Fox the rights to many of the Brotherhood they DID NOT option away Scarlet Witch OR Quiksilver because of their Avengers roots. There have even been rumors circling that Olivia Munn is actually playing Scarlet Witch in Iron Man 2. So I guess we'll have to wait and see if the option of having a full original Brotherhood is there.

That's terrible. I hope it's not true. He seemed genuinely interested in taking on the new movie. And I love the first 2 X-Men.

From SHH

Bryan Singer to Produce X-Men: First Class

Source:Deadline New York
March 26, 2010

Just one week ago, director Bryan <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: arial;" id="itxt_nobr_1_0">Singer </nobr> and producer Lauren Schuler-Donner were talking to the L.A. Times about Singer's affinity for the X-Men characters, which convinced him to direct X-Men: First Class, the proposed sequel to the blockbuster trilogy. According to Deadline's Mike Fleming, Singer's obligations to begin production on Jack the Giant Killer, his 3D version of the classic fairy tale for Warner Bros., will have to take precedence and Singer will now only be producing X-Men: First Class.

According to Fleming, Fox is already in talks with a few directors they've short-listed who may be able to start production on the proposed first <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: arial;" id="itxt_nobr_7_0">movie </nobr> in a new prequel trilogy as early as summer or fall for a 2011 release, while Singer is locked into making the other CG-heavy movie through his contract with Warner Bros. Some may remember that WB snagged Singer to direct Superman Returns, preventing him from directing X-Men: the Last Stand.

And i comment i have a hard time disagreeing with

Posted by:
BigJimbob
March 26, 2010

Thank god now this movie might stand a chance of being good and feature the Xmen and not just an allegory of what being Gay means to Bryan Singer.

I don't mind singer i thought he did a good job on 1&2. But i'd like to see a new take.

Back