X-men First Class (Singer is back)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with your spoiler.

I can see it now:

Spoiler Spoiler:

No thanks, let X 1-3 die, thank you.

Singer Talks More About X-Men: First Class!
Source:Variety
December 18, 2009

In the last few days, we've learned that X-Men and X2: X-Men United helmer Bryan Singer is returning to direct X-Men: First Class for Fox and that Jamie Moss will write the new script. Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producers.

Variety learned more from Singer, who said that the studio sparked to a detailed treatment he wrote for the film.

"This is the formative years of Xavier and Magneto, and the formation of the school and where there relationship took a wrong turn," Singer said. "There is a romantic element, and some of the mutants from 'X-Men' will figure into the plot, though I don't want to say which ones. There will be a lot of new mutants and a great villain."

In the film, Xavier and Magneto will be twenty-something, and the film sounds similar in construct to the J.J. Abrams-directed Star Trek.

"Whether it's 'Batman,' 'Lord of the Rings' or 'Star Trek,' if the characters are good, you want to see them on their journey even if you know their destiny," Singer said. "I put myself in the fan's position, and I think this story is something I would want to see, and so will they."

I don't know too much about X-Men, but if they are in their 20's it sounds like that isn't going to focus on Xavier's first students. Which kinda sucks, I'd rather see that.

Maybe their twenties is just the starting point of the plot

"This is the formative years of Xavier and Magneto, and the formation of the school and where there relationship took a wrong turn," Singer said. "There is a romantic element (maybe Dr.Moira?), and some of the mutants from 'X-Men' will figure into the plot, though I don't want to say which ones. There will be a lot of new mutants and a great villain."

Last edited:
God I hope it's not Apocalypse..... Mr. Sinister would be better especially if the flick involves Scott and Jean.

With Cyclops, Prof. X and Jean dead; there isn't much point to calling a sequel "X-Men". The whole thing needs a reboot, and sans Wolverine to boot.

Jean is the pheonix (by definition is capable of resurrection). Prof X is alive, just not in the same body. And no one ever saw cyclops die or confirmed that he was dead.

Great news! I loved the first two, especially #2. And being a life-long X-Men fan, I was relieved and excited by what Singer did. #3 however was horrible.

And as far a #3 needing closure?
Spoiler Spoiler:

Agree 100% with your spoiler.

I am very happy to have Singer back. I'll see any movie he makes in the X franchise, regardless of the timeline, story, etc.

And as far a #3 needing closure?
Spoiler Spoiler:

Haha!! My friends and I came to this conclusion the night we saw the movie. We were like "WTF?? What just happened can be undone in about 5 minutes in the next movie." I enjoy part 3 just to watch for the "lets see how many cameos in the movie we can do" aspect, and the mindless running around fighting stuff, but yeah compared to the first movies it doesn't really sit well.

My favorite part of 3 was the Juggernaut / Kitty Pryde chase which is one of the most well realized comic ideas of the series. Really fun.
The thing about 3 is that it's not completely horrible, it's just a big dropoff. Brett Ratner is not an incompetent director, he's just a company tool with no real vision.

The thing about 3 is that it's not completely horrible, it's just a big dropoff. Brett Ratner is not an incompetent director, he's just a company tool with no real vision.

Well, I think the biggest reason that part 3 is so bad is that it was ridiculously rushed to completion.

X-Men: First Class Might Supersede Magneto Spin-Off?
Source:Heat Vision
December 21, 2009

The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision Blog talked to Bryan Singer about his recent announcement that he'll direct X-Men: First Class. He says that he's working with screenwriter Jamie Moss on developing the screenplay and that he will likely shoot Jack the Giant Killer first.

Singer has an interesting quote in the interview, however, saying that the "Magneto" spin-off might not be necessary considering what they'll be doing for "First Class."

"This story would probably utilize some of the Magneto story because it deals with a young Magneto, so it might supersede that because this would explore that relationship between a young energetic professor and a disenfranchised victim of the Holocaust," said Singer.

He did add that he doesn't see an exhaustion of the franchise: "The X-Men universe is boundless. These are great characters. And as young characters, they are quite different than the characters we have seen in the contemporary movies."

You can read the full interview--in which he also discusses his relationship with 20th Century Fox, Battlestar Galactica and Excalibur--by going here.

After the $***ty Wolverine movie, I'm personally hoping they use this prequel as an opportunity to revisualize the franchise.
Give us real superhero costumes on par with Spider-Man and not boring leather suits, don't center the whole damn thing on f'n Wolverine and sideline all the other characters; in fact, leave Wolvie out of this entirely, give us a challenging story, and don't make the villains as one dimensional as they have been in previous movies. If they do this, I'll be at the front of the line.

After the $***ty Wolverine movie, I'm personally hoping they use this prequel as an opportunity to revisualize the franchise.
Give us real superhero costumes on par with Spider-Man and not boring leather suits, don't center the whole damn thing on f'n Wolverine and sideline all the other characters; in fact, leave Wolvie out of this entirely, give us a challenging story, and don't make the villains as one dimensional as they have been in previous movies. If they do this, I'll be at the front of the line.

That's why I said, my idea version of this movie: Make it literally the first class. Ice Man, Cyclops, Beast (NOT BLUE), Angel, Marvel Girl and Prof. Xavier (with Patrick Stewart). Keep Magneto as the baddie (and still Ian McKellan). Introduce his idea of the Brotherhood at the end of the film, and if you want some drama, focus on Charles and Moira and only slightly touch on Jean and Scott. Show how the Xavier institute started, but knowing Singer and most script writers - that story is FAR too easy for them so they will find some way to complicate things.

You guys and gals have some Valid points for Movie themes, Which I don't disagree with, Why not something based on the Villians, Like Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Mystquie, Mr. Sinister and other known Baddies to numerous to list, Tell that story and make it Dark, Make them Smarter and use the Costumes they are know for, With periodic run-ins with the X-Men

You guys and gals have some Valid points for Movie themes, Which I don't disagree with, Why not something based on the Villians, Like Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Mystquie, Mr. Sinister and other known Baddies to numerous to list, Tell that story and make it Dark, Make them Smarter and use the Costumes they are know for, With periodic run-ins with the X-Men

:huh Because that has nothing to do with this film? :huh

A Magneto movie never really sounded that interesting to me. The Wolverine movie sounded good until everyone seemed to dislike it, I didn't even bother to see it. I think this sounds much more promising.

Back