X-men First Class (Singer is back)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting...

In a move that may tilt the axis of fanboys worldwide, Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn is in talks to direct X-Men: First Class for Twentieth Century Fox. Why is this so bizarre? Because Vaughn is the very director who turned down directing X-Men: The Last Stand back in 2005 after he had already negotiated his deal with the studio. (Fox later hired Brett Ratner to helm the most successful of all X-Men films.) Vaughn went on to direct the disappointing Stardust for Paramount and, just two weeks ago, released the well-reviewed R-rated Kick-Ass.

Of course, considering Vaughn’s history with the X-Men franchise, he could very well turn down the First Class offer, as well (sources say the studio is also speaking with other possible directors). Should a deal come together, however, Vaughn would be helming an origin story of the X-Men crew, one that tells the story of Cyclops, Jean Grey, and the other X-Men in their younger years, played by younger actors. (No word yet on whether Hugh Jackman would reprise his role as Wolverine since his character doesn’t age as the others do.) The script comes from Jamie Moss based on Bryan Singer’s treatment. Though the studio had wanted Singer to direct once again, the director is only signed on to produce, since he’s preoccupied with directing Jack the Giant Killer for Warner Bros.

I will admit X4 is gonna be a tough call. so much damage has been done to the 3rd installment (oh yeah I don't swallow that most successful of all xmen film crap). Plus the fact that they are going the WAY OVER USED BY HOLLYWOOD prequel route (which is really nothing but a lame attempt to peform a cloaked re-set of the franchise). X3 failed & the stuido is wasting time in a useless cover up.

Still.......I've seen other movies pull out of tough spots like this & go on to live down their shame. The world will be watching 3 major motion pictures & waiting to see if they can survive their EPIC FAILURES:

SUPERMAN

X MEN 4

TRANSFORMERS 3 (maybe Bay will insult Hispanics this time & have a NAZI Decpticon ask him for his immagration papers while passing thru Arizona).

Fox has announced June 3, 2011 as the release date.

I guess that's not completely unreasonable if a script is done - but Fox always puts the chart before the horse. They can't make a decent superhero film, but they can make a release date...:nana:

Looks like Vaughn is official.

May 4, 2010

20th Century Fox announced this afternoon that Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn will officially be taking on directing duties for X-Men: First Class, which is now scheduled for June 3, 2011.

Fox describes X-Men: First Class as the beginning of the X-Men saga, following Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr before they became Professor X and Magneto, respectively. The story sees Xavier and Lensherr working together with other mutants to fight off a great threat. During this battle, the two mutants grow apart, ultimately resulting in the war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-Men.

X-Men: First Class is the fifth entry in the X-Men series and second prequel, following last summer's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which opened to $85.1 million and ultimately closed with just under $180 million. The X-Men series began in 2000 with X-Men, which grossed $157.3 million. X2: X-Men United made $214.9 million three years later, with 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand completing the initial trilogy with $234.4 million (the highest grossing entry in the series). Worldwide, the series has made over $1.5 billion.

Vaughn's Kick-Ass opened to $19.8 million last month and has made $42.7 million in 18 days. Vaughn, who previously directed Layer Cake and Stardust, is no stranger to the X-Men, as he was originally signed on to direct X-Men: The Last Stand back in 2005 before leaving the project due to creative differences.

Looking at Kick-Ass I wonder if Vaughn will put them in actual Superhero costumes instead of the leather like Singer's versions. It would be interesting to see if they can make it work.

Bah I still say this should have gone COMPLETE reboot and used the REAL first class. Make it a character drama where the first class consists of Marvel Girl, Ice Man, Cyke, Beast, Angel with Xavier, Moira, Magneto and maybe throw in one or two strong bad guys and have a falling out with Magneto leaving and starting their back and forth. But noooo - that's too easy.

Bah I still say this should have gone COMPLETE reboot and used the REAL first class. Make it a character drama where the first class consists of Marvel Girl, Ice Man, Cyke, Beast, Angel with Xavier, Moira, Magneto and maybe throw in one or two strong bad guys and have a falling out with Magneto leaving and starting their back and forth. But noooo - that's too easy.

:goodpost: Couldn't agree with you more!

Complete re-boot would be best... by Marvel Studios. ;)

You know they will once they get the rights back.

Could Kevin Pennington be one of the young X-Men? Lot's of speculation who he could be playing but he could be in Avengers, Captain America, X-Men First Class or the Ka-Zar or Iron Fist films.
https://avengersnews.com/2010/05/08/new-marvel-superhero-cast/

This isn't Marvel Studios so I doubt he'd play a role at all here.

Complete re-boot would be best... by Marvel Studios. ;)

You know they will once they get the rights back.

Actually Marvel Studios had the option to buy back all of their rights just recently, the first being Spider-Man as Sony's rights were expiring but instead chose to renew a deal with Sony/Columbia. They recently reinked the deal for Fantastic Four and Daredevil over at Fox. I know that the X-Men rights either had expired and were resigned or that their deal was for a bit longer than the others as back then Marvel was looking for profit due to their money issues. I think Marvel will continue to outsource all the properties that were already done so to keep a steady flow of outside revenue in and use that to continue to fund their own movies for a while.

Marvel could have used either Columbia and Fox to help fund and distribute their movies, they don't have to give up the rights to them. Like Ironman, they used Paramount to distribute, but the movie was made inhouse. By doing this they could have had Spiderman, FF4 and Xmen all in one BIG movie, that would have been epic.

‘Kick-Ass’ Screenwriter Jane Goldman Rewriting Vaughn’s ‘X-Men: First Class’
Posted on 11 May 2010 by Ethan Vestby in News

Fresh off the news that Kick-Ass helmer Matthew Vaughn will bring X-Men : First Class to theaters on June 3rd, 2011, we end up having more exciting news. This strangely came when British funnyman Jonathan Ross tweeted

“G;night all. The wife is away writing X Men 4 so I am off to bed with little Sweeney alone. He will keep my feet warm and my spirits high.”

You of course should know that he is in fact married to Jane Goldman; co-writer of Kick-Ass and also Stardust. It’s clear that she has a pretty strong working relationship with Matthew Vaughn and this gives me more hope for the movie. It seemed like Vaughn was forced to take on a project at the last minute and rush it to theaters without any real care for quality; but this shows that they’re still putting effort into making this film work. While Kick-Ass had some major tonal problems with the screenplay, Goldman and Vaughn still have a knack for creating exciting setpieces and outrageous characters.

Are you excited about X-Men : First Class being a definite Matthew Vaughn movie?

Interesting....

Back