Which type of Hot Toys body for the Hulk figure would you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the figure i'd like...

• Truetype body with full range of double-jointed articulation but obvious joints

Votes: 32 13.3%
  • Fully sculpted muscle body type with lesser visible joints & limited atriculation

Votes: 160 66.4%
  • Rubber covered body with no visible joints and very little articulation

Votes: 49 20.3%

• Total voters
^ Classic Predator, Wolverine and Jake Sully aren't just action figures, they are high end collectibles too, and they have visible joints, where is this line drawn for Hulk, where visible joint means just another action figure.

Is it the size?

It's partly the size, but combined with a non-human flesh colour Jake Sully looks to me like a cheap(er) toy. Somehow flesh tones let me see past exposed joints, dunno why.

to those who are wanting to cut out the mid torso joint.
i disagree. he needs it, or else hulk will likely have "perfect posture" at all times. He needs to be able to hunch forward for a.... hulking pose.

as well as be able to articulate his spine backwards, and toss his arms out to the side and roar.

if there is one joint Hulk actually NEEDS, it's that one.

Leaning forward, learing at his enemy

xprs-hulk.jpg

arclight-hulk.jpg

the argument COULD be made that these poses could be done just by using his hip, lower ab joint.

and while that is true, it would NOT look natural. those of you that have predator figures, try it. post pictures of your results.

hulk-banner.jpg

I hate to say it, but why not silicone? Hulk doesn't have any accessories or even detailed costumes that need engineering, so why not plug some of that R&D money into a high grade substance that won't deteriorate or tear and will do away with joints? It'd be a good way to test the waters and see what all of the pro-plastic joints people would think. I'd just like to hear your thoughts. Would you guys be so against a seamless body if you knew that it would not deteriorate, tear, or hinder articulation? It's a very interesting topic to debate.

I couldn't care less. I like my rubber bodies figures, so a rubber hulk doesn't sound like a bad idea.

then again, Hulk needs articulation to capture some of those extreme poses

Hulk not like implants!!!!

Hell no to rubber i'd take visable joints any day.

But silicone isn't rubber, it's a durable, high-quality material used in special effects. It also yields some incredibly realistic results. Personally, I just want to hear people's legitimate thoughts, as, if I get any Hulk, it'll be a 1/4 Hulk, anyway, but it seems like some people are too closed-minded to even consider the possibilities.

I hate to say it, but why not silicone? Hulk doesn't have any accessories or even detailed costumes that need engineering, so why not plug some of that R&D money into a high grade substance that won't deteriorate or tear and will do away with joints? It'd be a good way to test the waters and see what all of the pro-plastic joints people would think. I'd just like to hear your thoughts. Would you guys be so against a seamless body if you knew that it would not deteriorate, tear, or hinder articulation? It's a very interesting topic to debate.

But silicone isn't rubber, it's a durable, high-quality material used in special effects. It also yields some incredibly realistic results. Personally, I just want to hear people's legitimate thoughts, as, if I get any Hulk, it'll be a 1/4 Hulk, anyway, but it seems like some people are too closed-minded to even consider the possibilities.

Be that as it may, he would still suffer from "noodle arms"

when you move your arms, legs, whatever, muscles flex and bulge under the skin, causing it to stretch in certain ways.
The joints on those seamless figures don't have plates and things under the material that cause them to flex properly. this causes the material, instead, to bunch up at the joints. and ends up creating a LESS lifelike appearance than one that simply has exposed joints.

In essence, It effectively creates an uncanny valley effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

additionally, the R&D in hulk , instead of going to accessories, is already going towards his body. As it stands right now, using a body type similar to Jake from Avatar, he is going to be in the 250-350$ range, possibly more.

Considering those Phicen Silicon bodies are 100$ BY THEMSELVES, the RnD costs going into a WHOLE new process? we would be looking at a 500-600$ hulk Figure.

I'd be very interested to see one of those bodies put in some "hulk-like" poses, and see how close it can approximate them. But in the end, I think, as he's an action figure, I'd rather just have exposed joints for better articulation overall, as well as having him fit in with the rest. I have GI joe toys in display, I can have BIG action figures on display too :lol

If he's muscle bodied, i hope they go the Barney Ross route rather than the T800, less noticable

How so, I never opened my barney ross but I thought they were on the same kinda bodys, except the t-800's is bigger?

If I see joints, I'm off.

Call me crazy, but joints in figures make me CRINGE.

Might as well buy a cheap figure if you want it to look like a figure. I prefer mine to look as realistic as possible, with some, that means cutting alot of articulation, and I'm fine with that. Worked wonders on batman, why not hulk?

If I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for a massive 1/6 figure I want to be sure that I can pose it anyway I want and not have worry about rubber or cheap plastic ripping or tearing. I also do not want to worry about leaking rubber (DX Batman) or dry rotting (almost every Alien figure) over time.

To have a lasting figure and peace of mind I will take a hard plastic figure with visible joints any day.

In all seriousness, I would rather not have HT jump on anything experimental right now and just go with the most reliable and stable materials. This won't be the last film we see the Hulk in. There will be plenty of time to get all fancy, but now is the time to get the basics down. Who says they can't innovate on exposed joints? I'm excited to see what they can do.

Call me risk aversive as I plunge mad money into this freak of nature.

This would actually be a nightmare to design. For those who don't like joints, they will be massive on Hulk, and for those who don't like the thought of dry rubber wearing over time, there will be a load of it. I probably won't pose mine too much as I don't at all really with mine now so I guess the rubber wouldn't bother me that much. As long as it looks really good and not like some cheap Hasbro toy.

Back