Which type of Hot Toys body for the Hulk figure would you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the figure i'd like...

• Truetype body with full range of double-jointed articulation but obvious joints

Votes: 32 13.3%
  • Fully sculpted muscle body type with lesser visible joints & limited atriculation

Votes: 160 66.4%
  • Rubber covered body with no visible joints and very little articulation

Votes: 49 20.3%

• Total voters
Anybody who wants a rubber body for hulk is not thinking long term. If you plan to only have this figure for 6 months, then rubber body would be no problem. But I plan to have my figure awhile, so NO RUBBER bodies!

heres rubber hulk :lol

gumby.JPG

I do remember a toy where the wire eventually busted through the rubber, yes. So maybe it's not wires; Hulk is so damn thick that I do believe you could do some kind of jointed skeleton under the rubber, something that would be impossible for most figures at 1:6 scale. A metal skeleton with plastic caps over the ends to prevent the metal from breaking the rubber skin. And that would just be the hands; the rest of the body could be plastic under rubber, just like Keaton Batman.

And with the rubber as thick as it is, Hulk will look great just standing there, arms never raised at more than a 30 degree angle, standing more or less straight up and down, in a very relaxed pose.

New hulk development photo on hot toys FB page looks like no visible joints people :/

Be that as it may, he would still suffer from "noodle arms"

when you move your arms, legs, whatever, muscles flex and bulge under the skin, causing it to stretch in certain ways.
The joints on those seamless figures don't have plates and things under the material that cause them to flex properly. this causes the material, instead, to bunch up at the joints. and ends up creating a LESS lifelike appearance than one that simply has exposed joints.

In essence, It effectively creates an uncanny valley effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

additionally, the R&D in hulk , instead of going to accessories, is already going towards his body. As it stands right now, using a body type similar to Jake from Avatar, he is going to be in the 250-350$ range, possibly more.

Considering those Phicen Silicon bodies are 100$ BY THEMSELVES, the RnD costs going into a WHOLE new process? we would be looking at a 500-600$ hulk Figure.

I'd be very interested to see one of those bodies put in some "hulk-like" poses, and see how close it can approximate them. But in the end, I think, as he's an action figure, I'd rather just have exposed joints for better articulation overall, as well as having him fit in with the rest. I have GI joe toys in display, I can have BIG action figures on display too :lol

The best solution IMHO would be an articulated skeleton with separate articulated musculature (to flex with the motion of the joints) with a silicone skin over the top. In theory the uncanny valley thing could be cured by casting the skin with the joints in bent position, eliminating the sag when the joints bend and stretching when the joints are straight. Lots of R&D I know, but with a figure as big as Hulk I could see it working.

Wishful thinking I know, but I can dream...

The moment HT see the poll results from this thread
HT: "To satisfy all fans, we will make a fully sculpted... oh wait, that means this hulk can hold for a long time without breaking!!! No reissue?? No milking?? NO FUN!!!! Yep, Rubber HT Hulk it is"

Heres why I think they won't use rubber, Hulk is going to require a brand new body, this is not a standard true type they can just put a rubber suit over. They will have to sculpt the entire body from scratch. If they were to cover it with the rubber suit, they would essentially have to sculpt it twice. One for the base structure and the other for the outer layer. This seems too time consuming and costly. When it would be easier, faster and cheaper to just design the base body as the figure itself.

I've got to imagine they'll go the Jake Sully route, especially since he'll have fewer joints than Sully (his hip and knee joints will be covered by pants unlike Sully.)

Also I'm sure they'll want to do change out hands for fists and grabbing and what not. That'd look stupid if his whole body was rubber but he still had seams at his wrists. Wrist seams on a plastic body won't look that out of place since he'll already have breaks at the elbows and shoulders anyway.

Back