Media What's the best Metal Gear game? (May Contain Spoilers!!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one is the best in your opinion?

• Metal Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The recruiting in PO was a chore, in Peace Walker and TPP its was fun.

If another team takes over I'm willing to give them a chance though.

I have my games in almost the same order, absolutely agree with all the points you made though.

Oh man, I'm sorry; I didn't see your list! I can get behind your appreciation for MGS4 because it blew my mind the first time I played it. I actually said out loud that all other video game developers should just give up after playing it! :lol I absolutely believe it deserved all the praise it got, and I was kind of disheartened to see all the vitriol it was getting because I remember EVERYONE loving it (obviously not everyone, but in the same way I'd say everyone loved The Dark Knight). I also remember people going crazy over Raiden's redemption and I was confused because I loved Raiden in MGS2 back then. Now, I, unfortunately, I understand where they were coming from.

I was going to stop, but I'm going to gush about MGS4 more! :lol I agree with you about the last fight, and thought it was a beautiful moment encapsulating how ugly war is. Even after it's over, these two broken down old men are still fighting. I have watched and replayed that segment at least 10 times. The only thing that always bugs the heck out of me is that Snake's face doesn't give or bleed when Ocelot pounds him. The fight choreography is so well done that it irked me! :lol

I knew that I much preferred MGS4 to MGS2, but I didn't know if I could put it above MGS, MGSPW, and MGSV. MGS had the best story, MGSPW was an amazing cornucopia of MGS goodness, and MGSV was just gaming bliss. I put MGSV second because it really revived my interested in playing games...and I hate it for that :lol In the lead up to it, I said that I would much rather prefer getting a MGSV blu ray movie than a game, since that was the most appealing aspect of MGS for me. The game was a total 180 of what I wanted it to be, and I'm glad! And I've played games that were purely gameplay focused, but I could only play them for 45 minutes without getting burned out. That's why nothing about Nintendo appealed to me, since I already wasn't a fan of their friendly aesthetics (I'm sorry, I can't think of a better word for their art-style at the moment). I thought I needed a story to compel me, and while I do like MGSV's story a lot , the gameplay is what's really the big draw. Not that God of War is a super compelling story, but it gave me enough motive to take down the gods, defend my family, and protect Pandora.

Ill get hate but for me;

MGS 3
MGS4
MGS Twin Snakes
MGS 2
MGS 1

MGS TPP

I have never played Twin Snakes so I can't comment on the quality of that one, but the other ones are all really good games! The great thing about the MGS franchise is that the games keep evolving, so I can understand any game being someone's favorite. Metal Gear Solid 3 won't change from my top spot until Metal Gear Solid 6 comes out (I hope), but I could change up the others. I'm sorry you didn't like MGSV (I'm assuming that's what the gap means), hopefully the next one will be more toward your tastes. It's currently my second favorite game of the series, and in my top 10 games of all time!

Oh man, I'm sorry; I didn't see your list! I can get behind your appreciation for MGS4 because it blew my mind the first time I played it. I actually said out loud that all other video game developers should just give up after playing it! :lol I absolutely believe it deserved all the praise it got, and I was kind of disheartened to see all the vitriol it was getting because I remember EVERYONE loving it (obviously not everyone, but in the same way I'd say everyone loved The Dark Knight). I also remember people going crazy over Raiden's redemption and I was confused because I loved Raiden in MGS2 back then. Now, I, unfortunately, I understand where they were coming from.

I was going to stop, but I'm going to gush about MGS4 more! :lol I agree with you about the last fight, and thought it was a beautiful moment encapsulating how ugly war is. Even after it's over, these two broken down old men are still fighting. I have watched and replayed that segment at least 35 times. The only thing that always bugs the heck out of me is that Snake's face doesn't give or bleed when Ocelot pounds him. The fight choreography is so well done that it irked me! :lol

I knew that I much preferred MGS4 to MGS2, but I didn't know if I could put it above MGS, MGSPW, and MGSV. MGS had the best story, MGSPW was an amazing cornucopia of MGS goodness, and MGSV was just gaming bliss. I put MGSV second because it really revived my interested in playing games...and I hate it for that :lol In the lead up to it, I said that I would much rather prefer getting a MGSV blu ray movie than a game, since that was the most appealing aspect of MGS for me. The game was a total 180 of what I wanted it to be, and I'm glad! And I've played games that were purely gameplay focused, but I could only play them for 45 minutes without getting burned out. That's why nothing about Nintendo appealed to me, since I already wasn't a fan of their friendly aesthetics (I'm sorry, I can't think of a better word for their art-style at the moment). I thought I needed a story to compel me, and while I do like MGSV's story a lot , the gameplay is what's really the big draw. Not that God of War is a super compelling story, but it gave me enough motive to take down the gods, defend my family, and protect Pandora.

I'm actually starting to appreciate PW more, I plan on replaying every game in the series so I can make my definitive list, it probably take me a year to do though :lol

MGS4 definitely had problems, but it was an experience, MGS2 I think actually had way more problems. I was actually just watching Solidus vs Raiden and what a mess that final battle was, i was actually laughing out loud that Raiden got a codec call during their fight and he actually stopped to answer it, what was Solidus doing that whole time? :lol

I think MGS1 and 3 are borderline perfect, both stand the test of time. MGSV is great, and definitely better than 2 in my opinion, but I'm not sure if I can rank it ahead of MGS4 because I do think there's a lot of cut content. I prefer MGSV story, and gameplay over MGS4 but it lacked epic boss fights and unexpected gameplay twists that Kojima is known for. However, I do think MGSV has the best directed cutscenes in the series, which is a shame we didn't get more of them. Also MGSV voice acting is the best in the series.

I'm actually starting to appreciate PW more, I plan on replaying every game in the series so I can make my definitive list, it probably take me a year to do though :lol

MGS4 definitely had problems, but it was an experience, MGS2 I think actually had way more problems. I was actually just watching Solidus vs Raiden and what a mess that final battle was, i was actually laughing out loud that Raiden got a codec call during their fight and he actually stopped to answer it, what was Solidus doing that whole time? :lol

I think MGS1 and 3 are borderline perfect, both stand the test of time. MGSV is great, and definitely better than 2 in my opinion, but I'm not sure if I can rank it ahead of MGS4 because I do think there's a lot of cut content. I prefer MGSV story, and gameplay over MGS4 but it lacked epic boss fights and unexpected gameplay twists that Kojima is known for. However, I do think MGSV has the best directed cutscenes in the series, which is a shame we didn't get more of them. Also MGSV voice acting is the best in the series.

Well, whenever you finish your run through, I would love to read your updated thoughts! That is a very good point about MGSV's incompleteness, but it wasn't enough to deter me from ranking it so high on my personal list. I agree with you about the voice acting, it did factor into my ranking.

The reason I liked MGS2 so much was because I related with Raiden, and it basically introduced me to the Illuminati. I had a similar relationship with Raiden as I had with Luke looking up to Han in Star Wars. The whole dog tag throwing away scene is like Luke looking out at the Twin Suns. I just think there's too much lecturing. I never thought anyone has control over anyone else, nor have I ever thought that someone's genes dictated who they are, so that's why certain points Kojima was making don't resonate with me. The commentary about war and the cool characters are the most appealing aspects of the story to me.

I have never played Twin Snakes so I can't comment on the quality of that one, but the other ones are all really good games! The great thing about the MGS franchise is that the games keep evolving, so I can understand any game being someone's favorite. Metal Gear Solid 3 won't change from my top spot until Metal Gear Solid 6 comes out (I hope), but I could change up the others. I'm sorry you didn't like MGSV (I'm assuming that's what the gap means), hopefully the next one will be more toward your tastes. It's currently my second favorite game of the series, and in my top 10 games of all time!

Its hard to explain. MGS V has the best gameplay but I think open world was a very bad move. Its bland, dull. The enviroments are dull and boring mostly upto yet. Its took me over 40 hours to start getting decent story, then it confuses me about how technologically advanced the 80s were yet so backwards in the 90s and 2000s. Its overly repetative and Boss' characterisation is abysmal along with Sutherlands VA and the soundtrack.

Its hard to explain. MGS V has the best gameplay but I think open world was a very bad move. Its bland, dull. The enviroments are dull and boring mostly upto yet. Its took me over 40 hours to start getting decent story, then it confuses me about how technologically advanced the 80s were yet so backwards in the 90s and 2000s. Its overly repetative and Boss' characterisation is abysmal along with Sutherlands VA and the soundtrack.

I think you explained your criticisms just fine! You put Metal Gear Solid 3 on top, so nothing else matters.:hi5: I'm just kidding! MGSV's story is incomplete and it suffers from the creators' decision to tell its story through cassettes. I didn't have much incentive to listen to them, since my game-plan kept getting messed up from loading up the menu and swapping tapes. Heck, I thought Skullface was pretty lousy until I listened to the tapes—but that was after completing the story! That's a big problem since Skullface is very important to understanding the story, but thankfully I had pturtle on here to help me out!

I actually thought the gameplay looked boring when watching the lead up gameplay trailers (I barely watched them though because I didn't want to be spoiled). The only reason I wasn't concerned was because I loved Ground Zeroes so much. I "S-ranked" everything in Peace Walker, so I have no problem replaying missions if I love the gameplay. Obviously, I love it! I can definitely see your point since I felt similarly about Arkham Knight. It had the best gameplay in the series, but the repetition, pacing, lackluster story made me never want to return to the game again. I'm a fan of the MGS universe, so that might be a big factor why I'm more tolerable to MGSV's flaws.

Anyways, as someone who has played many stealth games, I feel like MGSV set a standard for the genre. I appreciate that the game respects player intelligence. It's really refreshing! I don't like when games take away control from you or hold your hand to funnel you along with their story. If they are going to do that, I'd much rather just watch a movie or read a book! Because of MGSV's freedom and deep gameplay mechanics, I'm able to form my own story in a way that can only be done through the video game medium. I understand and respect your opinion though!

Didnt read it! Yessssssssss.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
berneydidnotread.gif

I think you explained your criticisms just fine! You put Metal Gear Solid 3 on top, so nothing else matters.:hi5: I'm just kidding! MGSV's story is incomplete and it suffers from the creators' decision to tell its story through cassettes. I didn't have much incentive to listen to them, since my game-plan kept getting messed up from loading up the menu and swapping tapes. Heck, I thought Skullface was pretty lousy until I listened to the tapes—but that was after completing the story! That's a big problem since Skullface is very important to understanding the story, but thankfully I had pturtle on here to help me out!

I actually thought the gameplay looked boring when watching the lead up gameplay trailers (I barely watched them though because I didn't want to be spoiled). The only reason I wasn't concerned was because I loved Ground Zeroes so much. I "S-ranked" everything in Peace Walker, so I have no problem replaying missions if I love the gameplay. Obviously, I love it! I can definitely see your point since I felt similarly about Arkham Knight. It had the best gameplay in the series, but the repetition, pacing, lackluster story made me never want to return to the game again. I'm a fan of the MGS universe, so that might be a big factor why I'm more tolerable to MGSV's flaws.

Anyways, as someone who has played many stealth games, I feel like MGSV set a standard for the genre. I appreciate that the game respects player intelligence. It's really refreshing! I don't like when games take away control from you or hold your hand to funnel you along with their story. If they are going to do that, I'd much rather just watch a movie or read a book! Because of MGSV's freedom and deep gameplay mechanics, I'm able to form my own story in a way that can only be done through the video game medium. I understand and respect your opinion though!

I just wish MGS V was more linear. Imagine the gameplay and infiltration mechanics at Shadow Moses.... MGS4 ranks high purely because of returning there and all I did was have ' best is yet to come' play on the ipod thing in game.

I feel identical about Arkham Knight too. I was gutted by it. Im a huge Batman fan but ive done it twice, I refuse to do all Riddler challenges to get the 'real' ending, the use of Joker was brilliant but aside from that the story was really poor. Then the DLC....

I just wish MGS V was more linear. Imagine the gameplay and infiltration mechanics at Shadow Moses.... MGS4 ranks high purely because of returning there and all I did was have ' best is yet to come' play on the ipod thing in game.

I feel identical about Arkham Knight too. I was gutted by it. Im a huge Batman fan but ive done it twice, I refuse to do all Riddler challenges to get the 'real' ending, the use of Joker was brilliant but aside from that the story was really poor. Then the DLC....

I love MGS4, so you don't have to justify its ranking one bit! I understand the linear preference, since I like Arkham Asylum the best. Arkham City is a better product, but I just loved how tightly structured Asylum was.

I'd say the way they explored Batman' psyche was definitely better than any MGSV character moments!:lol I can't believe it had me smiling at such horrific moments, but that's Mark Hamill for you!

For me,MGS1 and 3 are clear front runners overall,but Phantom Pain is by far the best in terms of gameplay.Smooth and easy to play.

I voted for Portable Ops. So many fond memories of bundling unconscious women into unmarked vans :lol

Seriously though, I loved that game. No-nonsense story, solid character writing, Ashley Wood cutscenes, surprisingly deep gameplay and much more content than a PSP game had any rights to have. Also the multiplayer was great.

Funny how Kojima basically disowned it but has liberally stolen ideas from it - half-assedly at that - for his last two games...

I voted for Portable Ops. So many fond memories of bundling unconscious women into unmarked vans :lol

Seriously though, I loved that game. No-nonsense story, solid character writing, Ashley Wood cutscenes, surprisingly deep gameplay and much more content than a PSP game had any rights to have. Also the multiplayer was great.

Funny how Kojima basically disowned it but has liberally stolen ideas from it - half-assedly at that - for his last two games...

Yeah, I love PO, too. And like you said, Kojima has borrowed liberally from it, with the ideas of in-game recruiting, and having stats for your soldiers. The game was an appropriate bridge to MG 1, and after playing TPP, and I'm more convinced than ever that Kojima's reign in the franchise needed to end. PW and TPP might as well be considered alternate-universe games, judging by how far they've taken MGS off-course, in terms of the canon and tone of the series (even more so with TPP).

I love Portable Ops, it was the last MGS game that felt like a MGS game. All the MGS games since lost their scene of intrigue and mystery.

Yeah, I love PO, too. And like you said, Kojima has borrowed liberally from it, with the ideas of in-game recruiting, and having stats for your soldiers. The game was an appropriate bridge to MG 1, and after playing TPP, and I'm more convinced than ever that Kojima's reign in the franchise needed to end. PW and TPP might as well be considered alternate-universe games, judging by how far they've taken MGS off-course, in terms of the canon and tone of the series (even more so with TPP).

I love Portable Ops, it was the last MGS game that felt like a MGS game. All the MGS games since lost their scene of intrigue and mystery.

I honestly feel it was the closest to recapturing the old MGS1 magic of any of the sequels. That's not to take anything away from MGS2 and MGS3, but they had a very different feel to them than the first 3D instalment.

I have to say also, MGS3's jungle felt a lot more real than MGSV's barren open world. It was like being in an actual living ecosystem, having to survive off flora and fauna you found in the environment around you. Plus the dozens of little quirks, from the potential to be poisoned by your food to being able to take out enemies (and even boss characters) with a well-placed poisonous tree frog.

MGS3 felt much more "alive" than MGSV. You actually felt like you were there. Ditto for MGS1 and 2.

PW felt alive at times too, certainly not to the level of the console games but it tried.

Back