Media What's the best Metal Gear game? (May Contain Spoilers!!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one is the best in your opinion?

• Metal Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Photo Mode > Side Ops.

Joker as your best buddy > Ocelot looking bored.

Batmobile > D-Horse

Do it! you wanna be cool and hip, don't you? :lol
Is there an equivalent to D-dog? Joker though was great. I lost it at the MGS referencing game over screen :lol

I'm already cool and hip for playing Batman, aren't I? Your pressure mind game tactics will not work on me!

Dual Takedowns > D-Dog.

Pretty sure Mark Hamill didn't even knew it was a MGS reference. He nailed it. :lol

Touché.
If only they happened more. That sequence with Robin really screamed 'dynamic duo' in the best way. Then...Henry ruined it. It's always a Henry! :panic:

Maybe he did, but still :lol

Check and mate right there, Ryan!

I voted awhile ago, but didn't get a chance to give a ranking. I haven't even had a chance to go back to play MGSV!

1. MGS3 is my favorite. For me, it has the best mix of a quality story and gameplay. Plus, no trace of Otacon.

2. MGSV has, without a doubt, the best stealth/action gameplay that I've played in a game. I think it finally beats out Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six in that category. The game has only been out for a little over two weeks, and I can't believe I have already played the game for 50 hours. It was ridiculous of me, and I probably won't get a chance to play video games for a long time now, but I don't regret it!

3. MGS still has the 4th wall breaking gameplay that makes it unique to other games, and I don't think it can ever be replicated again. It has one of the best gaming narratives, and it definitely has one of the best atmospheres. I don't enjoy many of the gameplay segments between the Gray Fox fight and the Rex fight, but it's still great.

4.MGSPW is the best portable game that I have ever seen. I think it's a technical masterpiece, and it blows me away that Kojima Productions was able to create such a hefty game on a PSP. It definitely has the best ratio of cut-scenes and gameplay besides MGS and MGS3. The horse chase scene is one of my favorite scenes of the series, and I loved how the developments of Big Boss' character changed my perceptions of MGS3's ending (I can understand fans calling it a regression, but I liked it). Plus, it has my favorite codec ending! I kept thinking about PW while playing through MGSV, and I realized how much I love it. I played this game more than any game in my life for a good reason.

5. MGS4- I know I'm in the far minority, but I really like Old Snake. In addition, MGS4 has many of my favorite moments in gaming period. However, MGSV made me realize how much damage control was needed because of the odd story developments this game made. While it doesn't have the best writing, I think this game showcases the peak of Kojima's creativity as a director. Some of it was really stupid though...."Bang!", "Marry me, Johnny", farts a'hoy, etc. I still think think it's a great game, and I like how it closed off Solid Snake's story. I do understand fan's criticisms of him being underplayed, and since he is the hero of the series, he should have been front and center.

6. MGS2- Solid Snake gave me one of my favorite video game lines in MGS2— "Not happy about that? Get over it." It's something I need to work on! While I really appreciate the message, part of me thinks it was a bit of a cop out to make almost the same game for the fourth time in a row. The beginning and ending are the only real things that are different, and they're great. I don't think that any simulator thing or Solid Snake speech is an excuse for the poor plotting and dialogue. I really appreciate the story, but I think a lot of it could have been trimmed down to make a tighter game. The pay off to learning "what day it was" was not worth those Rose codec interruptions! Still, MGS2 is the only other MGS that I played through besides MGS3 that I watched all the codecs and cutscenes while playing. And I played through it 5 times, which is more than I played MGS! My opinion is always changing, so it could be higher one day.

7. Metal Gear Rising- I played through it once, and I thought it was a great game. I didn't like the story at all, unfortunately. I loved Portable Ops when I played it a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure this is a way better game. Since MGSV made me realize how important gameplay is to me, I might put this way higher up my list if I ever get a chance to play it again.

8. MGSPO- It's a watered down version of MGS3, but I think major draw of MGSPO was simply having a portable MGS game. I love MGS3, so I had a blast with MGSPO. I loved seeing Big Boss develop his army, and I will never forget the scene where Gene turned my men on eachother after spending so long to recruit them! Also, "Calling to the Night" is my favorite video game song of all time. The Best is Yet to Come" is incredible, but I can't sing it from memory like "Calling to the Night" since its not my native language.

9 and 10. MG and MG2- I'm not a big fan of these games other than some story elements. They're fine, but not as good as the MGS games and Rising in my opinion.

I think it's funny that the whole recruiting aspect of modern MGS games wasn't even Kojimas idea. It was taken straight from MGSPO. All he did was add the Fulton to make it easier. Who says MGS can exist without Kojima?

The recruiting in PO was a chore, in Peace Walker and TPP its was fun.

If another team takes over I'm willing to give them a chance though.

I voted awhile ago, but didn't get a chance to give a ranking. I haven't even had a chance to go back to play MGSV!

1. MGS3 is my favorite. For me, it has the best mix of a quality story and gameplay. Plus, no trace of Otacon.

2. MGSV has, without a doubt, the best stealth/action gameplay that I've played in a game. I think it finally beats out Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six in that category. The game has only been out for a little over two weeks, and I can't believe I have already played the game for 50 hours. It was ridiculous of me, and I probably won't get a chance to play video games for a long time now, but I don't regret it!

3. MGS still has the 4th wall breaking gameplay that makes it unique to other games, and I don't think it can ever be replicated again. It has one of the best gaming narratives, and it definitely has one of the best atmospheres. I don't enjoy many of the gameplay segments between the Gray Fox fight and the Rex fight, but it's still great.

4.MGSPW is the best portable game that I have ever seen. I think it's a technical masterpiece, and it blows me away that Kojima Productions was able to create such a hefty game on a PSP. It definitely has the best ratio of cut-scenes and gameplay besides MGS and MGS3. The horse chase scene is one of my favorite scenes of the series, and I loved how the developments of Big Boss' character changed my perceptions of MGS3's ending (I can understand fans calling it a regression, but I liked it). Plus, it has my favorite codec ending! I kept thinking about PW while playing through MGSV, and I realized how much I love it. I played this game more than any game in my life for a good reason.

5. MGS4- I know I'm in the far minority, but I really like Old Snake. In addition, MGS4 has many of my favorite moments in gaming period. However, MGSV made me realize how much damage control was needed because of the odd story developments this game made. While it doesn't have the best writing, I think this game showcases the peak of Kojima's creativity as a director. Some of it was really stupid though...."Bang!", "Marry me, Johnny", farts a'hoy, etc. I still think think it's a great game, and I like how it closed off Solid Snake's story. I do understand fan's criticisms of him being underplayed, and since he is the hero of the series, he should have been front and center.

6. MGS2- Solid Snake gave me one of my favorite video game lines in MGS2— "Not happy about that? Get over it." It's something I need to work on! While I really appreciate the message, part of me thinks it was a bit of a cop out to make almost the same game for the fourth time in a row. The beginning and ending are the only real things that are different, and they're great. I don't think that any simulator thing or Solid Snake speech is an excuse for the poor plotting and dialogue. I really appreciate the story, but I think a lot of it could have been trimmed down to make a tighter game. The pay off to learning "what day it was" was not worth those Rose codec interruptions! Still, MGS2 is the only other MGS that I played through besides MGS3 that I watched all the codecs and cutscenes while playing. And I played through it 5 times, which is more than I played MGS! My opinion is always changing, so it could be higher one day.

7. Metal Gear Rising- I played through it once, and I thought it was a great game. I didn't like the story at all, unfortunately. I loved Portable Ops when I played it a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure this is a way better game. Since MGSV made me realize how important gameplay is to me, I might put this way higher up my list if I ever get a chance to play it again.

8. MGSPO- It's a watered down version of MGS3, but I think major draw of MGSPO was simply having a portable MGS game. I love MGS3, so I had a blast with MGSPO. I loved seeing Big Boss develop his army, and I will never forget the scene where Gene turned my men on eachother after spending so long to recruit them! Also, "Calling to the Night" is my favorite video game song of all time. The Best is Yet to Come" is incredible, but I can't sing it from memory like "Calling to the Night" since its not my native language.

9 and 10. MG and MG2- I'm not a big fan of these games other than some story elements. They're fine, but not as good as the MGS games and Rising in my opinion.

I have my games in almost the same order, absolutely agree with all the points you made though.

I just noticed that Gaspar didn't vote in this poll, because Peace Walker's his favorite game of the series. This is a camaraderie he shares with Greg Miller :monkey3.

Hey Gaspar, what else do you share in common with Greg?

Last edited:
10) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
9) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
8) Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
7) Metal Gear Acid 2
6) Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
5) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
4) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2) Metal Gear Solid
1) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Didn't made it to the top 10. Crazy, I know! :lol

c36be78f6c841eabe68ac987c82c7338.gif

I really need to fire up my PSP and replay the Ac!d games some day. I never got to beating them.

c36be78f6c841eabe68ac987c82c7338.gif

I really need to fire up my PSP and replay the Ac!d games some day. I never got to beating them.

:lol

Acid 1 is okay, but Acid 2 is where it's at. It was such an amazing game, with great gameplay, pacing and soundtrack and a good story to boot. We finally get to see the elusive Dr. Koppelthorn from MGS2.

For me:

MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS 3
MGR
MGS 4
MPO
MGS V/GZ
MGS PW

The only two criteria I used to rate this were: (1) replayability and (2) musical scores. I had to think about this for a while, but I'd rate TPP higher than PW. They're both at the bottom of my list, but TPP just felt like the more mature game that PW should've been from the get-go. I think I could find myself actually replaying the story missions for TPP, more than I would the missions from PW. And I'll probably spend a few dozen hours more with MGS V once MGO is released next month.

The music in MGS 1 to 3 is sublime, and so is the entire soundtrack for MGR.

Last edited:
:lol

Acid 1 is okay, but Acid 2 is where it's at. It was such an amazing game, with great gameplay, pacing and soundtrack and a good story to boot. We finally get to see the elusive Dr. Koppelthorn from MGS2.

Sounds awesome, I'll see if I can fire it up this weekend.

For me:

MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS 3
MGR
MGS 4
MPO
MGS V/GZ
MGS PW

The only two criteria I used to rate this were: (1) replayability and (2) musical scores. I had to think about this for a while, but I'd rate TPP higher than PW. They're both at the bottom of my list, but TPP just felt like the more mature game that PW should've been from the get-go. I think I could find myself actually replaying the story missions for TPP, more than I would the missions from PW. And I'll probably spend a few dozen hours more with MGS V once MGO is released next month.

The music in MGS 1 to 3 is sublime, and so is the entire soundtrack for MGR.

Good list. :lecture

Every Metal Gear has great soundtrack, even far back as MS1 and MG2. MGS1, 2 and 3 really became works of art by the music alone. You should hear the Ghost Babel soundtrack too.

Metal Gear Acid 2 also had a fantastic OST! I have the CD and I listen to quite often. It makes it even more painful that the portable games had better music than the $80 mil MGSV.

Ill get hate but for me;

MGS 3
MGS4
MGS Twin Snakes
MGS 2
MGS 1

MGS TPP
Interesting including TTS, no PW, PO or MGR.
I just noticed that Gaspar didn't vote in this poll, because Peace Walker's his favorite game of the series. This is a camaraderie he shares with Greg Miller :monkey3.

Hey Gaspar, what else do you share in common with Greg?
You scared him off, clearly. Good work :lol (no really!)

Interesting including TTS, no PW, PO or MGR.You scared him off, clearly. Good work :lol (no really!)

I never played Peace Walker, Portable Ops or Rising. It wouldnt be fair to include them.

My reasoning for Twin Snakes is its gameplay. Akin to MGS 2 I felt the gameplay surpassed the limits of the original and it held most of the original story elements.

I haven't played Phantom Pain yet (too busy lately) and I am still chewing through Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and Rising so out of the ones I've finished:

MGS2
MGS: TTS
MGS3 (Subsistence version)
MGS4
MGS: PO

Back