Media What's the best Metal Gear game? (May Contain Spoilers!!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one is the best in your opinion?

• Metal Gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snake Plissken

40s "men" still cry about being bullied here
Reaction score
Since I did the protagonist poll, I figured this should be made as well since it's just as relevant.

I'm going MGS1.

Metal Gear MSX2 1987

2JYHwBK.jpg

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake MSX2 1990

KTHnp8U.jpg

Metal Gear Solid PS1 1998

1pqCTj5.png

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PS2 2001

qevwIWB.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater PS2 2004

4aBmSZc.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops PSP 2006

UcK1ZrU.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 2008

MmJUuox.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker PSP 2010

TbUXCo4.jpg

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/ Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PS3/PS4/360/One/PC 2014/2015

c4eMRjj.jpg

dN5MSGE.jpg

I have to make GZ and TPP one choice, since it only limits you 10... plus it's technically one game anyway.

Last edited:
Hoo boy. You guys know where I stand on this, but lemme just say that MGS1 and 2 were pure GENIUS, with MGS3 following a close third. It's obvious the man doesn't have it in him to create more original ideas, thus the newer games have suffered by pandering to fan service and convoluted attempts to tie everything up. Bottom line, if you ever wanna try out the series, just go with 1,2 and 3.

I think we can all can agree to an extent that the original trilogy is where it's at. I respect MGS2 being your favorite, since I pretty much like it equally with MGS1... but I have to give it MGS1 since I can only pick one.

Controversial, but i'm enjoying Phantom Pain so much that as an experience it is top of the list for me.
Can't quite put my finger on why but I can't put it down.

The first one will always be the greatest but Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes is my new favourite. I've even sacked off Witcher 3, even after just completing the Baron quest.

Im torn between 1,2,3 & Rising.

I have a big fondness in my heart for MGS2. I love the setting in MGS1 as well as the music and characters. MGS3 i think is the best start-to-end experience of the franchise but at the same time it doesn't have memorable music outside of the theme, boss fights are cool but not iconic IMO. And MGS3 i dotn think is very " pick up and play " friendly. And by that i dont mean nobody new can enter the franchise here, but more like if you want to have a quick session on it the game just doesn't feel like that kinda game. Metal gear rising obviously has the best sound track, my favourite gameplay ( even above MGSV ) and the boss fights are back to MGS1 uniqueness. I love the character designs. I think its the most replay friendly by far. But Rising just doesn't feel as grand in scale and story as the others. If Rising had an epic story it would win hands down. But it doesn't.

I will eliminate MGS3 form the running now ive thought about it while typing. Possibly my best experience while playing it. But it just takes so much effort to get in to it in a good long session to really let yourself sink in to the atmosphere.

Rising is going to be tied with the winner of the MGS 1 Vs 2. I think down to sheer fun that can be had gameplay wise with MGS2, just the random crap you can get up to while playing i will have to give it the edge over MGS1. I prefer the OST in MGS1 but not to the point id rather play it more than being able to **** around in MGS2 more.

Rising or MGS2? Im going to have to say MGS2.

Still going with MGS 3. I think it carved the beginning of the end for the series, and has an ungodly legacy (sorta like Biggu Bawse himself, tee hee), but as a whole, the game is fantastic. Beautiful visuals that look superb still in HD, great advancements in gameplay, and a very good story that while amusing, still gets what it does right. MGS 2 comes close for reasons Ryan stated, but it has numerous merits, in my opinion namely for being ahead of its time like with some things with AI. MGS1 is still fine, but I have other issues with it, maybe that's just me.

Everything else, meh. PW is actually fun, but the story is ballocks. MGS 4 was ruined by so much, and I didn't play anything else enough to get a good grasp of things. Rising, however, is fantastic in its own right, but gets too much flak for stupid reasons. Raiden, not having Snake, and its story for pointing out everything wrong with the series yet actually advancing Raiden's character into his own man, though if I had to say, maybe some people prefer a stupidly complex story in Metal Gear. I like it for its music, all right story, and great gameplay.

MGS2 might win the poll, and I ain't even mad :lol

MGS1 just got the edge with me for nostalgia, even though I believe MGS2 overall (story, scope, gameplay) is the better game.

MGS1 > MGS3 > MGSV > MGS4 > MGS2 > Rising > PW > Portable Ops

Metal Gear Solid 1: is probably the most perfect game I've ever played. It's crazy how well it holds up which is why I don't think it needs to a remake.

Metal Gear Solid 3: is almost perfect, my only problem with it is while the story is awesome, it's not as deep as MGS1, but the characters, gameplay, setting, and bosses were all perfect and arguably better than the first game.

MGSV: Possibly the most addictive game I've ever played in my life. So far I've logged in more hours into this game than the entire series combined. My main complaint is the pacing and lack of character development, even the tapes don't do enough to flesh out characters and their motivations. The voice acting is probably the best in the series, and this is probably Kojima's finest work directing cutscenes. I think a lot of people are reacting to this games story right now like they did with MGS2, I think later on people will see this game has one of the best stories in the series. It's not the story I wanted but judging it for what it is, it's great. I think one more location would have really added to the game and it definitely needed more cutscenes, the padding was inexcusable and while I see what they were trying to do with the boss battles, they're just not as good as MGS1, 3, and 4 bosses.

MGS4: Definitely the greatest gaming experience of my life. The production value is insane, the story has some problems and the voice acting is probably the worst in the series after Peace Walker. Overall though, I think this was Kojima's best directed game. Things like Snake's flashback at Shadow Moses, and the final fight between Ocelot and Snake probably make up some of my favorite moments ever in gaming.

MGS2: The gameplay takes a backseat to probably the best story in the series. The story is amazing, and probably will never be topped, but gameplay wise, this game was a major step down in the series. The core mechanics were great and improved upon from MGS1, but the backtracking, tedious missions, and horrible boss battles really hurt the overall experience. As a game, it's just not as fun as the other games in the series. The atmosphere, music, and most of the main characters are great though.

Metal Gear Rising: The gameplay is amazing, the voice acting is surprisingly better than most of the games in its genre, and the story serviced the gameplay, it's was over the top and ridiculous. The boss battles were amazing, and the gameplay is smooth, this is also probably the most like able Raiden so far. My main problems with the game are the dull environments, and the irrelevant story, especially after hearing what the original story for the game was supposed to be I couldn't help but be disappointed.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker: in my opinion it's easily the best psp game of all time. The gameplay was amazing, and surprisingly it's one of the longest MGS games in the series and its jam packed with content. The Boss battles and voice acting are the worst in the series, the story isn't bad but not great either. The newer characters it introduces are really great and are probably the most fleshed out characters in the series thanks to the cassette tapes.

Portable Ops: It's been years since I played it, but from what I remember, it had the worst story in the series, and it ruins one of the best characters in the series, Gray Fox. Fortunately a good chunk of it isn't canon. The gameplay was probably the worst in the series, and the environment are hands down the worst in the series. The main antagonist Gene how he ends up inspiring Big Boss were probably my favorite parts of the game.

^ Right thread, pturtle :lol second time is the charm for you!

I'm glad you didn't do the cliche thing and vote V as number one. But V over 4? Eh, I don't see how it even comes close to 4 frankly. Maybe the twist will grow on me like Raiden did, but when you look at the rest of the story and how dull it is IMO, it just didn't do anything for me. GZ set a great tone for it, but I feel it fell completely flat.

I think MGS V and 4 are polar opposites, V emphasizes on gameplay, and MGS 4 focuses on Story, to me V's gameplay trumps MgS4 story. I also really really liked the twist :lol but not because it's shocking, to me everything wouldn't have made sense at all without it.

I plan on playing through V's story again in about a month or so, after I finished platinuming the game to see if I move it up or down on my list.

V better than 4's story? MGS4 stumbled a hellva a lot, but at least it feels relevant to the Snake trilogy... V feels like a completely separate world from MGS3/MPO/PW.

All this talk about MGS makes me REALLY wanna replay all the main games the second I get the platinum trophy for MGSV. In fact, like a kid who can't takes his hands off the cookie jar, I even fired up a bit of MGS2, 3 and 4 while waiting for my Motherbase to develop in MGSV. Dammit man, the wait is killing me.

I might re-buy a Vita too just so I can play MGS1, 2 and 3 on the go, which might be the best damn way to kill time ever!

A poll like this will either come down to MGS 1 or MGS 3.

For me.... MGS 1 NOW, MGS 1 4EVA.

You never forget your first time, and Metal Gear Solid got my vote.

Having said that I am in love with her sister Phantom Pain. I am having so much fun playing this game. It takes what I loved about Snake Eater and expands on it. Close vote for me between MGS, MGS3, and MGSV.

For me, playing MGS V made me realize how much I missed the experience from MGS 3. I loved how each individual blade of grass moved with you crawled, there were soldiers patrolling the forests, you could climb trees, kill and eat so many animals (they could even attack you), you could shoot bee hives and drop them on soldiers, et. The world just felt more lively in MGS 3. With MGS V, it's like everything that came before was sacrificed to just to make a larger, and more lifeless environment.

Last edited:
Back