Uncharted 2:Among Thieves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd agree. I still think the first one is the best looking game out at the moment. This one just looks to take another step forward.

I just replayed the first one not long ago and I agree. For a two year old console game, it looks very, very good. Absolutely sharp. Not just the graphics, but the motion capture for the characters still looks amazing. That is where the game truly shines to me....

I am soooooo happy that they applied V-sync to the graphics. My biggest complaint about the visuals in the first Uncharted was the terrible screen tearing effect when you spin the camera. They fixed that for Uncharted 2, making it already look twice as good, in my opinion.

I am soooooo happy that they applied V-sync to the graphics. My biggest complaint about the visuals in the first Uncharted was the terrible screen tearing effect when you spin the camera. They fixed that for Uncharted 2, making it already look twice as good, in my opinion.

+1 this :lecture

I totally agree....just curious, did you see an article where they are talking about V-Sync? I've asked, but could find nothing....but in the Beta, there is NO tear.

I totally agree....just curious, did you see an article where they are talking about V-Sync? I've asked, but could find nothing....but in the Beta, there is NO tear.

Not sure about which article you're talking about, but I found a really good technical analysis of Uncharted 2's graphics written by Eurogamer.com a couple days ago. It explains in great detail the programming talent and graphical prowess present in the Naughty Dog team. A great read.

Here's the page about Uncharted 2's V-sync triple buffering:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-uncharted-article?page=3

Or, I'll post an excerpt of it here (but the actual article has videos and images):

The original Uncharted had a simple, but unrefined solution. It was double-buffered, with no v-sync. Put simply, the game is generating a new frame while the old one is still on-screen. If the new buffer isn't complete by the time the frame is supposed to render, it simply displays the unfinished image (creating a torn frame), purges the buffer and repeats the process. It can look ugly when the engine is under stress, but it ensures the fastest possible response from the controller, and ties in perfectly with the 100ms response time I measured for Uncharted.

V-sync can be deployed in a double-buffer situation, but there's a nasty side effect: if the complete frame isn't ready to be displayed, you'll wait until the next screen refresh to see it. During this time the GPU is effectively idle. It's a poor use of resources and it can be very impactful on the frame rate; the game will literally "switch" between 20FPS and 30FPS when the engine is under stress. Metal Gear Solid 4 is perhaps the most noteworthy example of the use of v-sync double-buffering and its impact on performance and controller response. Check out this FPS graph from Metal Gear Online, which uses the same engine:

Uncharted 2 is more ambitious. It aims to eliminate GPU idling and to maintain v-sync; effectively Naughty Dog wants to have its cake and eat it. Instead of flipping between two frames, it employs triple-buffering, holding one frame in reserve. Rather than produce a torn frame, it'll display the reserve frame instead.

The result is that we get the visual performance we always wanted from Uncharted... You get those spectacular visuals, and you get them without a single torn frame in the whole game. It's not really a case of being difficult to program as such, though there are memory implications; the trick is in doing so without impacting performance. As you can see from the level FPS graphs on all the Uncharted 2 vids in this feature, Naughty Dog has achieved it. Compare and contrast with Resident Evil 5 on PS3, which uses exactly the same triple-buffer technique but still has performance issues and the additional controller lag up against the double-buffered Xbox 360 version.

So kudos and various "big ups" to Naughty Dog for pulling it off. But to bring the discussion full circle, there has to be a cost for this level of advanced processing - and the price in this case is that the controller is less responsive. For the sake of visual quality, it's a price well worth paying, and we can demonstrate that in a pretty conclusive fashion. Check out this interesting "what if?" exercise. It's a montage of action from the original Uncharted, with a twist. Using a bit of our own coding magic, we can eliminate all the torn frames from the game's output. In effect, we can simulate Uncharted 2's v-sync on Uncharted 1 video to show the difference.

No problem! I find the work behind Uncharted 2 to be incredibly fascinating. It's a beauty.

btw, here's the entire article from the beginning (I only posted page 3 above): https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-uncharted-article

Good stuff.

Thanks! Yeah, everyone says the PS3 is hard to program for - and it is most likely, but here comes Naughty Dog and is truly shaming the other developers right now....(thats a good thing). They have raised the bar very high!

The article is blocked at work, but I'll check it out tonight...! What was their final score?

I'm playing the Beta and I have to say it's OK, but the real reason I want Uncharted 2 is for the main game. I doubt I will be playing the Multiplayer for very long.

I'm playing the Beta and I have to say it's OK, but the real reason I want Uncharted 2 is for the main game. I doubt I will be playing the Multiplayer for very long.

Me too, but I've been doing the Beta for a few days - already met some cool people to chill with. For me, that's what makes it fun.

The single player is my main reason, without question.

Thanks, Plasmid, for the 'review' clarification. Yeah the IGN review being out soo early is throwing me off

It's not a review, so no score yet. I'm actually surprised how early a site like IGN got their review out.

The review's up. The verdict is a 9.5 out of 10. Having finally finished the first Uncharted yesterday, I'm really looking forward to the sequel now.

The review's up. The verdict is a 9.5 out of 10. Having finally finished the first Uncharted yesterday, I'm really looking forward to the sequel now.

I was talking about the Eurogamer article I posted yesterday. But yeah, IGN has a review up.

I was talking about the Eurogamer article I posted yesterday. But yeah, IGN has a review up.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. My mistake.

I noticed that there's an Australian exclusive limited edition available, but it doesn't include the dagger replica like the uber-exclusive contest-only version. But it's just not feasible spending that kind of cash for the steelbook case and some art cards and a PAL copy of the game that won't play on my machine. The search for the dagger replica continues...

Back