Unaltered OT Appreciation Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Lucas hates fan people. :duh And it was just dumb luck that the movies turned out as good as they did. Oh and being limited by technology REALLY helped the OT. No water planet Alderaan George.

:lol Why not, eh? It always sparks good conversation (or FLAME WAR!). I actually do like a lot of the SEs, I just love the originals. :lecture

Morning Barry.... :wave

mornin' flosi.....................:wave

i like some of the s.e. too...........just wish we had the option of turning it off as well & seeing the original moviescreen version.

O.T. FTMFW..............:panic::panic::panic:

As I was saying in the other thread, I was watching the SE version of Star Wars last night, and it bothered me more than usual. The stupid, pointless crap really took me out of the movie. The awful-looking dinosaurs the Storm Troopers were riding, the CG robot hitting the other CG robot over the head as the crew rode into town, the Jabba the Hut scene with Han stepping on his tail and Boba Fett shoehorned in, Greedo missing by a mile at point blank range even though he shot first. And I only got about 1/2 of the way through the movie.

I never picked up the OT versions on DVD because I read that the transfer was pretty bad. But damned if I don't feel compelled to do it now, video quality be damned.

There are elements in all the Star Wars films I love and some not so much. Just as in the SE's there things I like and things I could pass on. For instance:

Greedo shooting first = fail
reshot Mos Eisley scenes = win
Battle of Yavin = win
wampa redo = win
Vader's shuttle at end of Empire = fail
Max Rebo band music number (Sy Snootles especially) = fail
Episode III Anakin at the end = win. I'll elaborate on that one:

To me I've always thought it odd that Luke's father would be seen through the force as he did when he died yet somehow magically healed from years of injury and malnurishment. (I thought this back in 1983 for the record) Wouldn't he then be some floating torso? With the exception of his redemption as an old broken man didn't Anakin Skywalker really die when he went to the dark side and became Darth Vader? It just seems right to me that his Force persona would be of his former self before he was corrupted. Just my opinion. :)

As I was saying in the other thread, I was watching the SE version of Star Wars last night, and it bothered me more than usual. The stupid, pointless crap really took me out of the movie. The awful-looking dinosaurs the Storm Troopers were riding, the CG robot hitting the other CG robot over the head as the crew rode into town, the Jabba the Hut scene with Han stepping on his tail and Boba Fett shoehorned in, Greedo missing by a mile at point blank range even though he shot first. And I only got about 1/2 of the way through the movie.

I never picked up the OT versions on DVD because I read that the transfer was pretty bad. But damned if I don't feel compelled to do it now, video quality be damned.

Meh, transfer shmasfer... The last DVD version that had the SEs coupled with the original versions isn't half bad and seeing how it's the only non-VHS unaltered version ever released I'm happy to own it.

SW seemed to really hurt the most from the SE changes but ROTJ is a close second.... Both songs, Jabba's palace and Endor Celebration, were about as bad as anything from "ANH", even Han shooting second and Jabba at the docking bay.

There are elements in all the Star Wars films I love and some not so much. Just as in the SE's there things I like and things I could pass on. For instance:

Greedo shooting first = fail
reshot Mos Eisley scenes = win
Battle of Yavin = win
wampa redo = win
Vader's shuttle at end of Empire = fail
Max Rebo band music number (Sy Snootles especially) = fail
Episode III Anakin at the end = win. I'll elaborate on that one:

To me I've always thought it odd that Luke's father would be seen through the force as he did when he died yet somehow magically healed from years of injury and malnurishment. (I thought this back in 1983 for the record) Wouldn't he then be some floating torso? With the exception of his redemption as an old broken man didn't Anakin Skywalker really die when he went to the dark side and became Darth Vader? It just seems right to me that his Force persona would be of his former self before he was corrupted. Just my opinion. :)

Battle of Yavin is a win for me too... I think it turned out very cool.

As for Anakin I see your point. To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it and I think any negativity really comes from being unhappy with how the PTs turned out. Seeing Hayden at the end just serves as a reminder to me that the PT was a major letdown so I feel like Lucas is just trying yet again to shove those theatrical abortions down my throat as official cannon while I'm trying, hopelessly, to ignore their presence all together. :(

I guess if one really disliked the prequels I could see that side of it. For the most part I liked them although I wasn't a fan of a lot of Episode I outside of Darth Maul.

I guess if one really disliked the prequels I could see that side of it. For the most part I liked them although I wasn't a fan of a lot of Episode I outside of Darth Maul.

There's parts of the PTs I really like but while the originals are some off my all time favorites I see the PTs as more middle of the road, like a POTC sequel or something of that ilk. :dunno

Battle of Yavin is a win for me too... I think it turned out very cool.

As for Anakin I see your point. To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it and I think any negativity really comes from being unhappy with how the PTs turned out. Seeing Hayden at the end just serves as a reminder to me that the PT was a major letdown so I feel like Lucas is just trying yet again to shove those theatrical abortions down my throat as official cannon while I'm trying, hopelessly, to ignore their presence all together. :(

Also, if your going to show a young anakin why not a young Obi-won to be consistent? :dunno . That being said I like the original ending with both old anakin and obi-won. I feel the image they show of anakin when he was a young jedi he was already turning to the darkside and the older anakin is what he would have looked like had he never turned sith and been burned and remained a jedi his whole life, :lecture

Also, if your going to show a young anakin why not a young Obi-won to be consistent? :dunno . That being said I like the original ending with both old anakin and obi-won. I feel the image they show of anakin when he was a young jedi he was already turning to the darkside and the older anakin is what he would have looked like had he never turned sith and been burned and remained a jedi his whole life, :lecture

Because Obi-Wan didn't die as a young man, nor did Anakin actually live out his life as a Jedi. The paths they chose should be reflected in their force spirits. This is a very subjective discussion but I feel the change in this case makes sense.

Because Obi-Wan didn't die as a young man, nor did Anakin actually live out his life as a Jedi. The paths they chose should be reflected in their force spirits. This is a very subjective discussion but I feel the change in this case makes sense.

it makes sense to me that he looked exactly as he did when he actually "died" as Anakin, not what he could have looked like if he didn't lose any limbs. I don't really have any problems with the changes in the OT or any of the PT stuff besides not really liking Sy Snootles singing in Jabba's palace.

I think the Special Editions turned out good, but not great. So many faults especially when knowing the PT is about to be produced. Why make so many continuity faults??! So many FanEdits have proven how it could've been done better.

One example?

Honestly, if the rather unimportant battle at the start of ROTS was such a heavy fighting, why the hell was the final battle on the Death Star revisited so lame?

About the PT:
Episode I:
Jar Jar. Nuff said.
Episode II:
Lake Comer. Nuff said.
Episode III:
Erase the memory of the golden one. Nuff said.

Ok, we already have 2 other threads where we are discussing the movies. Gonna lock this one for now.

EDIT: I was convinced to reopen this thread. If there is any discussion of Blu-ray changes I will close it again since we have another thread going for that. :)

Last edited:
I actually just finished the trilogy of Harmy's Despecialized Edition. Pure Gold. :clap

Han shoots first
No crappy CG Jabba
Boba's original voice
no crappy CG Sarlacc
the Sy Snootles Band
original ending of Jedi, complete w/ Sebastian Shaw

SE additions are mostly misses, but the BD w/ Krayt Dragon call is horrendous, Ewoks blinking???, how dare you add dialogue to Vader during an epic point in the movie, if not the entire trilogy.

Back