The Lone Ranger movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
630-iamcrow-tonto-jpg_214322.jpg

Johnny Depp reveals why Tonto puts a bird on it
No, he was not inspired by the "Portlandia" skit. And we cannot confirm he was even inspired by Marilyn Manson.
Johnny Depp has revealed his visual inspiration for his role in "The Lone Ranger," which is intended to be in stark contrast to the original 1950s television Tonto. He recently told EW in an interview:
"I'd actually seen a painting by an artist named Kirby Sattler [pictured upper-left], and looked at the face of this warrior and thought: That's it... The stripes down the face and across the eyes … it seemed to me like you could almost see the separate sections of the individual..."
And, as you can see, there's that bird atop Depp's head:
"It just so happened Sattler had painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior's head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top... I thought: Tonto's got a bird on his head. It's his spirit guide in a way. It's dead to others, but it's not dead to him. It's very much alive."

The rest of the article: https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/johnny-depp-reveals-why-tonto-puts-bird-223317067.html

I read this yesterday, it's interesting about this painting being the inspiration, but I think the dead bird is a little too much...
I kind of was expecting this to be only one of his looks through out the film... maybe his war getup...

Jack White confirmed to write, produce and perform the score. I think this will be awesome :)

This may sound completely retarded, but for me I need to know if the Ranger is wearing his boots inside or outside of his pants, that's my personal make or break for his costume.... if the pants are tucked in I'll be fine with it, if not, he'll look to much like some businessman in a cowboy hat and mask....

I just read somewhere that the Budget for this film was around 250 million....crazy

Hopefully, Howard's hard-on for Depp extends to this film because I really want a good Lone Ranger figure in my collection. I like the new designs, and I like the old designs, because I like the characters in general. It would be amazing if HT tackled these versions while another company, like Go Hero! tackled the classic interpretations. As for the shots, I think they look absolutely beautiful, and I'm hoping that this film delivers.

...but wait, there's more!

D3B95244-B66D-47A9-AE77-73C7A04A7F0C-2986-00000294A317D54C.jpg

128C8860-A7F1-4C82-9E93-EC7541F78BC8-2986-00000294A96230EB.jpg

B3F28BBC-0ED4-4873-AA86-3EBE42047C54-2986-00000294B06E3066.jpg

89EE10A5-0B41-41E5-A040-59DA797007BD-2986-000002950E96719D.jpg

Suffice it to say, I'm a bit unnerved by the lack of responses in this thread. Generally, it's the fan bases like this that give these films the best reception, and, if it's as dead as this with genre fans, I question how much interest this film will garner from general moviegoers.

Suffice it to say, I'm a bit unnerved by the lack of responses in this thread. Generally, it's the fan bases like this that give these films the best reception, and, if it's as dead as this with genre fans, I question how much interest this film will garner from general moviegoers.

Well, I'm unnerved how bad a direction this is taking. I'm not interested in Tonto and his sidekick the masked white man.
This is looking like a total Depp vehicle trying to recapture the PotC box-office receipts. Some of these picts and few others released the other day look like Depp working his Sparrow schtick.
....and the bird on the head thing just makes me shutter.
The Ranger looks miscast and the costume looks unremarkable and un-iconic.
That's what alot of fans are feeling, I see it posted else where.

I like Hammer in the role. I think that the Ranger looks pretty good as well. I'm okay with the suit, too. We live in an age where people wouldn't take him as seriously with the tight sky blue getup, and, if they're taking any cues from the Dynamite comic, the suit might fit well with the idea that John Reid was the educated one who spent time in the city.

As for the Depp thing, we're already seeing him receiving top billing, but I'm actually okay with that. If his name gets asses in seats, then I wouldn't mind one bit. The Ranger doesn't exactly have the same status as our Batmen, and Supermen, so, if Depp receiving a little more attention opens the door for a potential sequel (hopefully, it'll be good enough for me to want one), then more power to 'em. Right now, though, I'm patiently awaiting a trailer.

As for the bird on his head, I'm okay with that as well (since it does have some roots in Native American culture). If I was worried about anything, it's probably the fact that the bird's beak is closed and one shot and open in another. I pray that they don't pull any supernatural bull****.

I like Hammer in the role. I think that the Ranger looks pretty good as well. I'm okay with the suit, too. We live in an age where people wouldn't take him as seriously with the tight sky blue getup, and, if they're taking any cues from the Dynamite comic, the suit might fit well with the idea that John Reid was the educated one who spent time in the city.

As for the Depp thing, we're already seeing him receiving top billing, but I'm actually okay with that. If his name gets asses in seats, then I wouldn't mind one bit. The Ranger doesn't exactly have the same status as our Batmen, and Supermen, so, if Depp receiving a little more attention opens the door for a potential sequel (hopefully, it'll be good enough for me to want one), then more power to 'em. Right now, though, I'm patiently awaiting a trailer.

I'm not looking for a powder blue jumpsuit ala the 50's. I dig Tombstone, Butch Cassidy and Quigley Down Under but a blond in a Brooks bros suit and a badge isn't screaming a bada$$ Ranger depiction just because he's sporting the mask and white hat.

The recent comic retelling would've been a good jumping off point for the costume. I don't mind Depps make up but that bird...ugh.

Like I said, I just hope they don't incorporate any supernatural bs into the bird on his head. Bottom line: if this is a good, straightforward Western/action adventure flick, then, for me, it'll be a success. I'm so tired of people always trying to put "spins" on Westerns that aren't meant to have "spins" put on them. If you want to craft your own original thing, great, but The Lone Ranger doesn't need any of that ****. Just like Jonah Hex doesn't need to talk to dead people, carry Gatling guns that defy the laws of physics, or fire crossbows that shoot Dragonballs.

Back