The Lone Ranger movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Lone Ranger movie cancelled

Reading up on this it sounds like it's Bruckheimer's fault. He wouldn't agree to less than a $250 million budget for the film, which is beyond ridiculous.

I hadn't heard this - but that is pretty absurd. Didn't they start making Westerns because budgets could be kept way down?

I hadn't heard this - but that is pretty absurd. Didn't they start making Westerns because budgets could be kept way down?

Yeah, TRUE GRIT cost only $38 million. Even COWBOYS & ALIENS with all its effects & explosions "only" cost about $150 million... and that's with Harrison Ford and about 7,000 big name producers gobbling up paychecks. I can't for the life of me figure out what Bruckheimer & Verbinski/Depp were planning for a quarter billion dollars. It's unfathomable, really.

Also, Disney's upcoming JOHN CARTER is reportedly sitting at a cost of $300 million now, and climbing. They are going to lose more than their shirts on that one. I think that coming bomb off the heels of the TRON LEGACY disappointment and the lackluster box office for COWBOYS & ALIENS (not their movie, but a big Western) made the bean counters at Disney actual realize what a total disaster in the making the $250 million budget for LONE RANGER was.

Last edited:

Even though I did not know they were making this movie, I am also disappointed. I would just like to have seen how Depp did Tonto.

Hmmm, there was a casting call for eatras just announced here for a western with Depp in it, under the title of "Silver Bullet". That sucks, I was looking forward to possibly working on this one.

That's the weird part is felt like this one was about to start filming the way the trades made it sound and then all of sudden they yanked the plug.

I would have been in for this. Loved the Lone Ranger as a kid and would have liked to see him return for a new generation.

gimme back my bullets.......:lecture

damn i was looking forward to this as well...............:mad:

I looked we didn't have an official thread but the conversation was mainly contained in this one:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53636&highlight=Depp

and spilled into this one:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67915&highlight=Depp

but apparently we didn't care enough about the project to have a dedicated thread. :lol

Silly me. I searched the obscure words "Lone" and "Ranger".

I would've liked to have seen this one as I still remember the early 80's one (still have some of those figs) and I used to watch the serials every Saturday. I think this one would've been much better received than the Prince of Persia just for the simple matter that it's a much more recognizable character-- even if it hasn't been in the public's consciousness recently.

Maybe it's posturing and it'll all work out--- For Disney, the Bruckheimer and Depp combo have been the goose that lays the golden egg, I can't imagine they'd want to spoil that relationship.

Silly me. I searched the obscure words "Lone" and "Ranger".

5f70e49c-67c1-431f-b418-777e9cb35d03.jpg

It's not cancelled, just put on hold until they can work out a more reasonable budget, somewhere under 200, which is still way to high for a Western...

There will be more updates coming soon as to how and if they work something out. If Gore agrees to this, it will go back into production. If not, either Uni will get a new Director, not likely, or shop it out to other studios, maybe do a CO-Production deal with another studio to split the risk.

But 250M for this is ridiculous, Gore has to tone down some of his sets.

You're shocked that the good folks over at icanhascheezburger.com aren't better at their grammatical proofreading? :lol

You're shocked that the good folks over at icanhascheezburger.com aren't better at their grammatical proofreading? :lol

They should all be fired. All of them.

images

The line must be drawn HERE! THIS far, NO further! And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will make them PAY for what they've DONE!

But seriously, I hope that you're right pjam. I'd like to see a good Lone Ranger big budget movie.

On Deadline they mentioned that it may be the gross participation that killed this. With Depp, Bruckheimer and Verbinski on board with gross participation from first dollar - then I can see $250 mil being a tough budget to swallow. The studio wouldn't start making money unless it's a huge success along the lines of Pirates.

Back