The Lone Ranger movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Lone Ranger movie cancelled

Seems like the Lone Ranger would just be bit too dated to rake in the kind of money a $250mil budget would require. I'd like to see it made, but no real reason it should be that much unless they were going to go in some weird direction that would require a ton of effects.

airheads.png

You WILL make a Lone Ranger movie and you WILL PLURALIZE IT !!!!!!

Saw this posted on SyFy.com yesterday...

Hold your horses—Johnny Depp's Lone Ranger not quite dead!

LoneRanger081511-thumb-550x454-68619.jpg

Late Friday we shared the stunning announcement that Disney had halted production on The Lone Ranger due to its silver-rich budget galloping north of $250 million. The blockbuster western starring Johnny Depp even had a release date of Christmas 2012, battling it out with the first leg of The Hobbit.
Well, whoa there, kemo sabe—the masked man and his trusty sidekick are still alive!
Variety is reporting Disney, Depp, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski remain hot for the project and will have a pow-wow with Mouse House executives this week to try and shave some greenbacks off the mega-budget. Hollywood is tasting the bitter, lingering fear generated by the queasy stock market thrill ride, and Disney wisely chose to lay down their cards. Also, they've seen the unimpressive box office generated by Cowboys & Aliens and may have gotten spooked by a "what if we throw a huge comedy western party based on a beloved hero and nobody comes" scenario.
Now comes the excruciatingly difficult task of asking Godzilla-size egos to reduce some of their paychecks and bonuses to try and rein this holiday tentpole production into a more manageable jamboree. Apparently, Johnny Depp had his heart set on making this movie and expressed his disappointment while on vacation in Europe. (Poor guy!) It's a classic showdown between the suits and the dreamers, with a gold mine of ticket receipts, merchandise and potential sequel riches at stake.
The casting was just ramping up with Armie Hammer set to ride as the Lone Ranger, Tom Wilkinson as a railroad tycoon and country music outlaw Dwight Yoakam as the dastardly villain. Filming was to begin this October in New Mexico.
If Disney decides to holster its high-caliber funding, Bruckheimer and Verbinski would be free to shop the project elsewhere, and may find the welcome mat laid out when their platinum stagecoach arrives to negotiate a slimmer deal. Or will the tumbleweeds cross their path to a ghost town of frightened studio backers? With the billion-dollar pedigrees these franchise wizards bring to the campfire, we bet someone will welcome them with open arms and bank accounts, though of a somewhat smaller measure.
And honestly, who can say no to Jack Sparrow?
So, stay tuned for the next thrilling chapter. Will $50 million be miraculously cut from the budget? Will Depp save the day and cut his Riviera vacation short? Will Bruckheimer decide to make Con Air 2: Poe's Revenge instead?
And will you hang on to your spurs and ride this one out? Or serenade it into the sunset?

I really hope the Werewolves thing was false, otherwise, I expect this to be the same kind of abortion that Jonah Hex was. Seriously, what's wrong with making a good, straightforward Western these days? It seems like they always have to put some supernatural Bull____ in there.

I don't know why more of the high-banking stars like Depp don't just take a paycut and ask for a percentage of the profits on the back end. I don't know if it's the studios that are too greedy and fear that the percentage point they give to the stars will mean less money in their pockets in the end, or if it's the actors that just want the money up front and to hell with how the movie performs.

I really hope the Werewolves thing was false, otherwise, I expect this to be the same kind of abortion that Jonah Hex was. Seriously, what's wrong with making a good, straightforward Western these days? It seems like they always have to put some supernatural Bull____ in there.

I read yesterday that that article was bull____. I am glad I put that disclaimer in my post.:lol

I don't know why more of the high-banking stars like Depp don't just take a paycut and ask for a percentage of the profits on the back end. I don't know if it's the studios that are too greedy and fear that the percentage point they give to the stars will mean less money in their pockets in the end, or if it's the actors that just want the money up front and to hell with how the movie performs.

Most people in the movie business and Most actors these days are only there for the money, to be rich and famous. so if they don't get the money they want they throw a fit and the real work (movies) suffer in quality.

I read yesterday that that article was bull____. I am glad I put that disclaimer in my post.:lol

Good, I hope this happens. Not just because I want to see the film, but because A Disney/Bruckheimer/Depp movie means I might finally get to see a high-end 1/6 Ranger.

Good, I hope this happens. Not just because I want to see the film, but because A Disney/Bruckheimer/Depp movie means I might finally get to see a high-end 1/6 Ranger.

The article I was referring to was the one about the Werewolves and what not. I am pretty sure the movie is still canceled.

No, I know, but knowing that the Werewolves were BS makes me hope they can save this movie.

So it still might happen? It looks like we'll find out at the end of the week.

It's gut-check time for Disney and its on-again, off-again "Lone Ranger" project: Mouse House execs met with producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski late Thursday to discuss the pared-down production budget, and will render a decision next week, Variety's Justin Kroll exclusively reports. Verbinski wanted to shoot it with a $250 million pricetag before Disney balked and asked for something in the $200 million-$215 million range. Thursday's meeting yielded no final decision; instead, studio brass wanted to review the revised plan and mull their options over the Labor Day weekend. Verbinski’s presence at that meeting was significant: Johnny Depp, who’s long been set to play the Lone Ranger’s sidekick Tonto, let on last week that he won’t do the film without the helmer, and the studio is counting on Depp’s star power to sell the film to a broader audience. Pic, which stars Armie Hammer as the title character (as SHOWBLITZ first reported), was expected to go into production in November for a Dec. 21, 2012, release. Insiders say that even if Disney greenlights the movie now, it’s going to be cutting it close — many believe at this point the pic might have to push to an early 2012 start date, which could jeapordize its targeted premiere.

https://www.showblitz.com/2011/09/lone-ranger-decision-rides-after-labor-day.html

Another article on the matter:

Are you tired of the back and forth, ‘maybe they will, maybe they won’t’ non-action on Disney’s Lone Ranger? If so, you might be in luck, at least if the idea of the movie happening still seems like a good idea. The studio looks like it is ready to re-commit to the project with Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski and Johnny Depp. The green light hasn’t been given yet, but the current word is that Disney will probably flash that signal next week, leading to an early 2012 shoot.

I won’t recap the entire history of the film here, but the short version is that Disney canceled the film in August, after which there were ongoing discussions, fee cuts, budget reductions and script changes.

The end result is that we might get a version of Lone Ranger that ditches some of the supernatural elements (that is, werewolves) that were once part of the script, but hopefully keeps the perspective-flipping ‘Don Quixote from Sancho Panza’s point of view’ approach that was originally said to be the spark that got Gore Verbinski ready to make the film. Expect some big Pirates of the Caribbean-style action sequences, too, with at least one likely to involve trains.

Deadline lists some of the originally-announced cast as still being part of the film: Johhny Depp will play Tonto (he was essential to getting the film made) and Armie Hammer will play the Lone Ranger. Ruth Wilson (Luther) will be the female lead. We don’t know if the delayed production schedule will rule out the participation of other announced actors like Helena Bonham Carter, Dwight Yoakam and Barry Pepper.

Johnny Depp was here in Gallup a couple days ago, guess they start shooting around here in a few weeks or something.

A buddy I went to school with owns a head/tattoo shop in town and Depp stopped in. He thinks he is king shat now cause Depp was in his shop :lol

the-lone-ranger-johnny-depp-armie-hammer-600x421.jpg

The first official image from The Lone Ranger has been unveiled. The film had a very public rocky road to production, but filming is finally underway in New Mexico on the big budget adventure pic. This image gives us a look into what director Gore Verbinski has in store for the classic character, and unsurprisingly Johnny Depp seems to have crafted an entirely different Tonto. This iteration has some pretty intense face paint and, naturally, a dead bird on his head. Everyone’s familiar with the stories about how Disney almost fired Depp for his take on Jack Sparrow in the first Pirates of the Caribbean (also directed by Verbinski), so I’ll hold off judgment until we see this Tonto in action. For what it’s worth, I think Armie Hammer looks great as the title character. He’s got that everyman quality and “reassuring sense of justice” feel down pat. Verbinski is a really solid director (Rango was one of the best films of 2011) so I’m pulling for The Lone Ranger to be a fun flick. Despite the ridiculous budget, he’s assembled an impressive cast for the film and I’m eager to see more.

Last edited:

Not very thrilled about the Lone Ranger being in black instead of his blue, and Depp kind of looks silly. However, there's a long way to go before I make any judgement on where this one is going. I'm still excited as hell that a Lone Ranger film is finally being made.

Wow. He has balls changing the looks of these classic characters so drastically. I am not expecting much from this movie. I will likely wait for DVD.

Back