Scarlett Johansson to star in GHOST IN THE SHELL feature film from Dreamworks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not even people in Japan are really giving a crap...

That's why the birth rate is low.

Why would there need to be clarification? Her name is Motoko Kusanagi in a story set in a Japan-like country.

I've never read the manga completely because I dislike the art very much, and the tone too kinda, so I didn't know it was speculated he was a man, do you have a scan I can check? In all the other mediums she's clearly a woman just with a fake body, and obviously the option to change to a male body if she so decided, which Batou suggested her in SAC, why would that be any different in the manga?

I don't care about AoT, but it was pretty dumb that they cast the cast they cast, but that doesn't justify all pointless race swaps.

It's assumed. Just saying, her origin is never clarified in the manga. In 2nd GIG, it's set in stone.

Just give me ScarJo in the SAC outfit and I'm a happy camper. :)

1d03e8fc85cad5c158f73406b057613f.jpg

It's assumed. Just saying, her origin is never clarified in the manga. In 2nd GIG, it's set in stone.
Assumed by who? And why would there need to be clarification when she has a Japanese name, with peers that also have
Japanese names, in a Japan-like country? :lol

Hell I'm pretty sure it's straight up Japan.

It's like questioning Kaneda's origin just because it isn't explicitly stated he was born in Japan.

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard about the manga implying Kusanagi is male, I don't recall any clues to this at all. And it's been a while since I read it, but I thought at the end of the manga when she was in the male body, she had trouble walking, for obvious reasons.

This is the first I've heard about the manga implying Kusanagi is male, I don't recall any clues to this at all. And it's been a while since I read it, but I seem to recall at the end of the manga when she was in the male body, she had trouble walking, for obvious reasons.

It's cause of that weird lesbian sex scene and her female lovers. It's speculated by readers and those are the only clues.

It's cause of that weird lesbian sex scene and her female lovers. It's speculated by readers and those are the only clues.
That's the only clue? That also happens in SAC.

That only means she likes tacos, not that she's a man :lol

Just give me ScarJo in the SAC outfit and I'm a happy camper. :)
Highly doubt it, if anything they'll give her the 2nd Gig outfit or her ninja outfit.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it, but it's too patriarchal for this day and age.

I think the use of a western lead can be justified by, "Who gives a xenophobic ****?"
It's not about xenophobia, my overly progressive friend, it's about the story.

Like I said, in this case the story allows it, but pointless race swaps, of ANY kind, are, and will forever be, retarded.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining. I didn't think much of it since she also had many boyfriends lol.

On topic, I'm not happy with Scarlett's casting, and I'm as far from a SJW as a human can be. I just pictured her as Japanese, like I'm sure many other fans of the anime/manga did (not to mention the nature of the story of SAC which they're basing this on). But I get why they did it and all that, and I'm probably more worried about the director than anything at this point lol. I'll still watch it and hope that it's good.

and I'm probably more worried about the director than anything at this point lol. I'll still watch it and hope that it's good.
Pretty much.

I'm already expecting a mediocre watered down blockbuster, like most anime adaptations.

I would say "hopefully it'll be good" but I know better.

It's not about xenophobia, my overly progressive friend, it's about the story.

Like I said, in this case the story allows it, but pointless race swaps, of ANY kind, are, and will forever be, retarded.

Race fealty is retarded. And I think that's the first time I've ever been called progressive (overly or otherwise).

Pretty much.

I'm already expecting a mediocre watered down blockbuster, like most anime adaptations.

I would say "hopefully it'll be good" but I know better.
Yeah, just like how video game movies can't get a real director...a real shame, so much potential here that'll more than likely be wasted.

Race fealty is retarded.
White Panther movie when?

Yeah, just like how video game movies can't get a real director...a real shame, so much potential here that'll more than likely be wasted.
Warcraft may be the hit we need to get good videogame movies. That one is looking good.

And don't forget Assassin's Creed.

As for anime movies... I'm actually looking forward to Nolan's Akira, believe it or not.

I didn't care for Will Deadshot to be honest.

C-lister whose race isn't actually a factor, I'm ok with it.

It's very different when you're talking about Anime movies, usually with all-Japanese characters, and themes and commentary strongly and deeply rooted in Japanese culture and/or history.

Very much like Black Panther, that character has "race fealty", being an African king of an African nation, but that's retarded right?

I didn't care for Will Deadshot to be honest.

C-lister whose race isn't actually a factor, I'm ok with it.

It's very different when you're talking about Anime movies, usually with all-Japanese characters, and themes and commentary strongly and deeply rooted in Japanese culture and/or history.

Very much like Black Panther, that character has "race fealty", being an African king of an African nation, but that's retarded right?

deadshot fans might think "anime is stupid and dumb, so... whats the big deal "? :dunno

Back