An open discussion of the current state of the film landscape.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this long list of movies arguing that men have lesser worth than women? I've seen some arguing that men can be idiots or sexists or a-holes (which, as a man, I completely agree with), but not that they have lesser value as a species. And simply acknowledging the reality that there's a patriarchy and that women and minorities around the world have to fight a lot harder to get ahead, doesn't sound like an attack on men as a whole to me. Just on the system we live in and perpetuate. :huh

Peeps should look up stats about how great men have it.

Things like who is more likely to drop out of high school?

Who is more likely to go to college ?

Who has higher suicide rates ?

Who is more likely to be homeless?

Who is more likely to be killed on a job?

Who is more likely to be killed in a violent crime ?

Who gets the longer sentence for committing the same crime?

Who has to register for the draft?

Who suffers more from mental health issues?

Who is more likely to live longer?

When was the last time you saw a body positive male on the cover of men’s health. :lol

The pay gap gets thrown around a lot but rarely looks at things like which jobs men and woman tend to go for, who’s more willing to accept initial offer, who’s more willing to ask for a raise, who is willing to put in more hours etc…

Some of this has to do with woman and childbirth obviously.

Not trying to be a “men have it so bad” whiner… just saying life is ******* tuff for everyone and we are not the same country we were in the 50’s, 60’s or even 70’s.

Things are not what movies and shows are trying to portray. Hell in my department there are six different managers all woman and the lead above all them… a woman.

Meanwhile films like Barbie do seem to be saying men bad / woman good ( again I have not seen it just going by what I have seen or read)

I mean there is a whole speech ( that I did hear) in Barbie, about how hard it is for woman today. Well my grandma called and wants to have a conversation with them :lol
Hell my mom called and want to have a chat also :lol

Not to mention that the stats above would dictate that no one side can claim to have it tougher.

Hell even manly movies push the idea that woman’s lives are more important than men’s because the man is expected to lay down his life for the woman. Society has always been Woman and Children first. Men’s lives are expendable.

Other entertainment like She Hulk seems to want to push how hard she has it compared to her cousin just cause she is a woman. You know the guy hunted by the army his whole life. I mean she said she worries about “literally getting killed” at her lawyers office for expressing an opinion.

It’s not having woman in power that is the problem. It’s the message shoved down our throats

I freaking love Atomic Blonde. No way a girl that size can do the **** she did but the film did a great job of making me feel like she could and it never preached at me. If it did it was more than just the preaching. It was a good movie.

Last edited:
As ZE said, it's an imperfect world where we're never likely to get to a perfect balance.

I was talking to a friend about protecting people and how far should it go.

I made an example of:

If I was raped as a young teen, by a male of a certain physical description, who was wearing a specific cologne, and wearing a red sweater, while a specific song was playing in the background, should all those things now been banned because those things still have an adverse effect on that person as an adult?

He said it was a straw man argument. I said, having never lived through such trauma, how can he dismiss a victims feelings, emotions, reactions, and basically imply they're valid? Anyone of us can hear a song, smell a smell, etc, and it takes us back to that place, that memory.

He just said, yeah, fair point.

Movies can have such a huge impact and influence on people so I personally don't see the point of putting anyone down (unless it's to highlight, and thus educate, about some atrocity or injustice - Schindler's List as an example).

At the end of the day there's no reason for either gender to hold the other in contempt. Blackpill crap is stupid, women hating men or thinking they're somehow superior is equally stupid. Both (of the TWO) genders have their issues in the general sense, but the "two wrongs make a right" approach is never the way to go and I'm fine watching Hollywood (the industry, that is) burn if that's the route they're going to go.

Back in 1995 me and a buddy went and saw Cutthroat Island on opening weekend literally just to do our part in trying to help Carolco Pictures stay afloat so that they could stick around long enough to make Spider-Man (which they owned the rights to at the time.) Well we all know how futile THAT effort was (lol) but hey we went and supported an industry that we believed in and a movie that lo and behold was all about a woman kicking ass over her male costars from beginning to end. But it wasn't the garbage that has been reported to be in the Barbie flick so I'll be sitting that one out.

He said it was a straw man argument. I said, having never lived through such trauma, how can he dismiss a victims feelings, emotions, reactions, and basically imply they're valid? Anyone of us can hear a song, smell a smell, etc, and it takes us back to that place, that memory.

We had this very issue during SDCC in 2014 in the Codes thread -- regarding "Balloonboy".

Those here who remember, I'm sorry to bring back up the trauma.

Further to what Jaws said:

I grew up in a home with a single mom after my dad left my mom when I was 1. She had to raise 3 children on her own in borderline poverty and she did an amazing job. Her only support were my grandparents (on her side). My grandfather died when I was a young, then my older sister came out in the late 80's, so I've only ever grown up around strong, resilient, supportive woman. My grandmother lost 2 of her three children (my aunt, who was my mom's twin in a car accident in her 20's. And My uncle who got taken by cancer in his 40's), both before my grandfather passed.

My grandmother deserved to be angry at the world, but was the most amazing, kind, positive, beautiful women I've ever known and she handed that down to my mom.

My mom was a victim of domestic abuse, and all that went with being a woman back in the day, but she overcame it all through conducting herself in such a manner that was inspiring and never blaming anyone else for her situation - even my idiotic father; she never put him down.

Myself, my brother and sister have all grown to have successful careers and family's because of that positive guidance. Yet nothing was handed to us, and there was never anyone there to catch us when we fell. We learnt by life and through example of good people around us. And it was tough.

For me, I learnt so much through movies. Generally, movies were always about the journey of a character becoming better through mentors or experience and never by putting people around them down or crying victim.

So when I look at this current trend of every charatcer being perfect or putting others down to prop them elves up, all I do is think of what sort of messaging that sends to people?

And I don't think it's the way to be a better person.

The problem, in my opinion, is the polarization of opinion/belief/values and the erosion of nuance in adult discourse worldwide.
This isn't a simple issue and there is no point pretending it is and that there is a definitive version of the "truth" that applies in all cases.
The problem is that both sides of the increasingly irreconcilable political spectrum pretend that there is and that they alone are preaching the "truth" and act as blameless victims being silenced by the other half while themselves trying to silence their opposition.
There is no such thing as discourse or debate anymore, both sides merely preach to their opposites and intended audience, any attempt to introduce nuance is seen as supporting/being in allegiance to "the other side", and facts are openly shunned when inconvenient, its true for politics and its true for film.
Indeed, given how our media is now dominated by political hegemons, its unsurprising that films are being used as a battle ground in their "culture wars" given the importance of film and other forms of storytelling to our culture.

For every "She-Hulk" writer deflecting criticism by suggesting critics are women-hating trolls, there is a "Critical Drinker" who outright derides any potential media with a female protagonist in what he calls "a male role" or with "male characteristics" whether they are a compelling character or not.
For every writer/producer of "Cleopatra" calling the country of Egypt racist for insisting Cleopatra wasn't black, there is a Jim Caviziel who outright believes that liberals murder and drink the blood of children.

Both are problems that need to be addressed seriously and rationally, but I'm not going to "both sides" this debate and pretend that these fears are equal and have an equal impact or danger.

The pandering, insulting and lazy writing of movies/shows like Cleopatra, She-Hulk or what-have-you is annoying, and the attempts of Hollywood to white-wash its own despicability by preaching to the audience with ham-fisted messages and moral edicts as subtle as a sledgehammer are at times genuinely aggravating as is their suggestion that they are being radically progressive by "fighting" the same battles fought and won by better pioneers a generation ago. And people rightly find their attempts to deflect from their lack of writing talent/ingenuity by calling anyone who draws criticism an X,Y,Z -ist or phobe to be pretty despicable. But ultimately there is little real-world harm from these actions and its mostly the attempts of talentless hacks to sound more profound then they are, earn kudos in an industry that likes to feign progressiveness, and deflect from their own lack of talent.

The other side of the spectrum is FAR more sinister. Worldwide we are seeing a reactionary swing to a radical and increasingly authoritarian alt-right that will use such "issues" as the above to fuel their culture wars in a mostly-conservative-owned media landscape [thanks Barclay, Murdock and Musk] to push an increasingly extreme political agenda, distort facts, peddle conspiracy, propagate dangerous lies and outright undermine democracy and human rights. This side of the political media spectrum paints most of anything with an agenda of promoting the rights of minorities and women as having gone "too far", or presents these issues or minority groups as becoming increasingly ridiculous [and will use instances where they DO act as ridiculous to colour the entire movement].
This politically motivated new and traditional media will capitalize of something as relatively harmless as some bad writing in a Hollywood movie and paint it to be endemic of some sinister agenda or some greater conspiracy that applies to society or their political opponents as a whole, while ignoring the push for legislation being introduced that controlling the bodies, their rights to unions and parenthood, the safety or even the legal identity of these groups.
In the eyes of many US states a living woman's right to bodily autonomy or wellbeing are now secondary to that of an unborn human being, in the UK trans people were being forced into conversion therapy despite the Royal College recognizing conversion therapy as torture and banning it in all other circumstances, In Italy lesbians are now being removed from their children's birth certificates for no reason except pure spite, in Russia women are being told to quit their jobs and give birth for the fatherland.
History isn't a teleological or inevitable progress for human rights, nations that were once places of free-thinking and individual liberty can become oppressive totalitarian or even theocratic-fascistic states, such as Iran which was a liberal hub in the 50's before the Islamic Coup.
The struggle for rights is ongoing and the fight against the forces that want to undermine our rights is eternal.
Because if history has proven one thing, its that fighting for the rights of one marginalized group benefits us all, and forces that want to restrict the rights of one group seek to remove the rights from every group unlike themselves.

TL;DR
So to cut a very long and complex series of thoughts short, this issue is too complex to be succinctly discussed [ironically] and too often ignores important context and nuance, but overall movies that "punch up" like Barbie supposedly does, or create flat perfect female characters, or include every demographic of the inclusivity rainbow are at best well-meaning but poorly-executed and are at worst cynical exercises in decision by committee designed to cover bad writing and increase the revenue pool on an exec's spreadsheet. And this needs to be called out more without fear of being labelled a X,Y,Z - ist or phobe.
Conversely, we have to acknowledge that some of these critics, especially in the media and on Youtube or Twitter ARE alt-right politically motivated agitators who do use these instances as a wedge issue to fuel culture wars, increase their revenue and push a truly sinister and dangerous agenda.

Last edited:
Excellent summation by @lordnastrond . Years ago some members were up in arms about Disney being "woke" and pushing an "agenda" but I've maintained that the only agenda is a cynical appeal to broad trends and the lowest common denominator in the name of profit, with quality entertainment being an afterthought if not outright accidental. I still believe that and think we've been in a bad cultural 'moment' for ... years now. And it's quite dangerous if everyone falls into polarized lock-step --- I'm not sure if that's happened or if that's what hysterical media outlets portray as such.

Excellent summation by @lordnastrond . Years ago some members were up in arms about Disney being "woke" and pushing an "agenda" but I've maintained that the only agenda is a cynical appeal to broad trends and the lowest common denominator in the name of profit, with quality entertainment being an afterthought if not outright accidental. I still believe that and think we've been in a bad cultural 'moment' for ... years now. And it's quite dangerous if everyone falls into polarized lock-step --- I'm not sure if that's happened or if that's what hysterical media outlets portray as such.

I agree. Disney isn't 'woke' per se, they're being opportunistic and are just taking advantage of where they think the trends are going. If society as a whole was regressing, I very much doubt Disney would be leading the progressive charge. They're following where they think the most money is.

And I love the term 'woke' as a perjorative. If being aware of social issues and trying not to add to them is considered a bad characteristic, then I'm fine being a POS. Considering where it came from, the fact that it's being used as a slur just kind of proves the point the term was making.

I've used this example before...

The Dark Ages lasted nearly 1,000 years, while the enlightenment of the High Renaissance lasted only 35 years (or 300 if you count the whole damn thing).

We could so easily fall into another Dark Ages.

Race and gender preference is not the problem. They are issues fanned to anger everyone and distract us. The real problem is inequality of wealth in the world. It is Marie Antoinette on steroids. And it will get worse before it gets better.

I agree. Disney isn't 'woke' per se, they're being opportunistic and are just taking advantage of where they think the trends are going. If society as a whole was regressing, I very much doubt Disney would be leading the progressive charge. They're following where they think the most money is.
And yet they are losing money hand over fist. They pay attention to the vocal minority.

But I don’t even think that’s really the issue.

The issue is pushing whatever agenda they want with some god awful stories and terrible film making.

And yet they are losing money hand over fist. They pay attention to the vocal minority.

But I don’t even think that’s really the issue.

The issue is pushing whatever agenda they want with some god awful stories and terrible film making.

I think most people don't care or even realise if there is an agenda. Disney are mostly losing money because of bad content and they are stuck in between 2 loud groups fighting over whether something is too inclusive or not inclusive enough. They've picked a side, but the content is still bad.

There seems to be a current trend of: “anyone that doesn’t like a film with a woman in it is automatically a (insert whatever buzz words are going around), and it got me thinking; why not have a thread where people can openly discuss their reasoning to try and understand others points of view. The vast majority of people would no doubt agree that equality is a no-brainer; everyone should have equal rights and respect. So with that in mind, I started to think back at films, over the last roughly 50 years, and tried to think of films where woman have been openly and overtly been labelled toxic, told they are useless, maliciously put down, are not needed, and can do nothing right.

Some general thoughts here

1) To take some of the emotional charge out of this topic ( maybe...), a good crossover example is the WNBA. It only continues to exist and survive because it is essentially subsidized completely by the parent NBA. On it's own, the WNBA would never get it's own TV contract. It can only be aired, usually shoved in a corner, because the networks are essentially forced to do so as part of a larger package with the more lucrative NBA broadcasting packages. The WNBA consistently loses money. And has so for decades. The average paid attendance IIRC still hovers around 1000 a night. That's "average". Given the cost of parking, concessions and gasoline while factoring in inflation, it's a struggle for many franchises to even give away tickets.

Bill Burr points out something that's IMHO pretty obvious but it's not generally politically correct to say out loud. ( He gets to do it because he has a huge platform and he's a comedian more in the vein of a George Carlin, so the total social context kind of protects him somewhat here) - That women in general do not support the WNBA. People vote with their feet and vote with their wallet and the "election" results show that the WNBA is a bad product. No one goes to an expensive restaurant to order a 20 dollar peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Well it's not going to be common. You don't want to go to pay, in part, for an experience, for something you can make at home by yourself. It's part of why the WNBA fails, it often looks like a boys high school basketball game. Also there are some issues off the court that don't help, not at all, but I am going to limit myself here somewhat, and simply say plenty of current and former WNBA players that have said and done things that have gone viral that don't exactly endear themselves to fans in general.

If women across the country supported the WNBA, it would be a massive success. Women in America have HUGE purchasing power and they've been researched and studied as a key economic demographic for decades upon decades now. There are ways to market to women, but you can't sell anyone a bad "product" for very long. But you'll never see WNBA players admit that the majority of women in the country simply don't give a damn about them nor their sport.

How this applies to TV and film is that if women in general, particularly in the industry, want to see more productions and opportunities for women across the board, then they have to generate massive financial success when they get those opportunities right now. And they just are not. And historically they have not. Not on a broad scale. I've said this in another thread, at some point, you just need to make a good film that entertains the audience, speaks to them on a level regarding the human condition and generate some good "word of mouth". Just some different tweaks towards new age activism only goes so far. Shock marketing only goes so far. Virtue signaling only goes so far. Cooking out the trailers can only go so far. At some point, you just need good meat on the grill.

2) Part of the issue is ultimately a math problem. In front of the camera, there have always been, statistically speaking, fewer roles for women than men. Disproportionately so. And many are segmented into certain established archetypes. Two ways to look at it. That women have been pigeonholed by the industry. That's one perspective that's often cited and used like a battering ram. Or, less commonly said out loud, that at least women have a subset of roles carved out for them. An underlying factor, across all industries, is "ageism" The industry is not forgiving of women who manage break out in front of the camera as they age. But that's true across all kinds of industries, even outside of Hollywood. That's a function of human nature, not just identity politics. This is an area that can be more heavily discussed, but maybe I'll save some of this for another time.

3) From an industry perspective, a lot of the women creatives who did break out, a lot of people just don't like working with them or for them. A lot of people outright despise Jenji Kohan, Lena Dunham, Shonda Rhimes and others. I'm not saying male creatives aren't gigantic PITAs as well, but when you exist as a smaller subset to start, you just don't have the same margin of error. A large part of creating opportunity is "networking", this isn't restricted to Hollywood, and it doesn't open doors for you when you keep burning bridges. You want to work with people you know, that you trust, that have delivered for you in the past, where there is a level of "cost certainty", where they have proven they can get it done under adverse conditions, in heavy time/budget constraints, without adding too much unneeded drama. But our current culture exists as such that you can't really say these things out loud to women in general, so no one says anything and just avoids them. That's not "misogyny" in my book, it's self preservation. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is capable of being a complete and total d#ucheb#g in this life. But our society simply does not hold all of us equally to account to that standard. Wealthy people get more rope. Good looking people to the point of being "hot", get more rope. Connected people via nepotism get more rope. And yes, even a large share of women get more rope.

If women in the industry want more opportunity, they have to do their best to maximize the opportunities they get right now. They need to knock it out of the park and generate huge numbers consistently. BUT PARTICULARLY THAT REGULARLY DRAWS IN LOTS OF WOMEN VIEWERS. Identity politics is not the God of Hollywood, it's money. Create things that become a printing press for money, and you can write your own ticket. That's everyone. Man, woman, Martian, blue, white, purple, gay, straight, young, old, whatever.

So from my perspective, experience and observation in the industry, these are the kind of conversations you can't have in public. You can't really have them in private. You'll just be massacred for saying any of this. So no one says anything and there are activists who are prepared to go down with the ship. I wouldn't say most people out there are IMHO fundamentally good people. But I will say nearly all people are not racists, they aren't bigots, they aren't misogynists, they aren't looking to hurt other people. They are likely to be everyday working class people just trying to get by in life. Pay their rent, buy a few toys, put food on the table for the kids, maybe share a laugh or a beer or two sometime and make the best of their current situation. And all these people have problems of their own. You can't make them care, spend money and support you by trying to guilt them, corner them, shame them and attempt to "cancel" them. Real life people don't work that way.

So I won't say each and every last thing is fair for every woman in the industry. I've seen some pretty ugly things. But no one gets a bed of roses all the time in life. You get dealt a hand of cards. Now you have to play them. That's it. That's all there is to it. Even if sometimes it's unfair. If women in Hollywood, or even outside of it, want "better", however they define it, they have to do less complaining and go create relative massive "success" on their own. This is how you write your own ticket in life.

"I used to have horrible cars that would always end up broken down on the highway. When I tried to flag someone down, nobody stopped. But if I pushed my own car, other drivers would get out and push with me. If you want help, help yourself - people like to see that." - Chris Rock

“The best revenge is massive success.” - Frank Sinatra

Last edited:

Some general thoughts here

1) To take some of the emotional charge out of this topic ( maybe...), a good crossover example is the WNBA. It only continues to exist and survive because it is essentially subsidized completely by the parent NBA. On it's own, the WNBA would never get it's own TV contract. It can only be aired, usually shoved in a corner, because the networks are essentially forced to do so as part of a larger package with the more lucrative NBA broadcasting packages. The WNBA consistently loses money. And has so for decades. The average paid attendance IIRC still hovers around 1000 a night. That's "average". Given the cost of parking, concessions and gasoline while factoring in inflation, it's a struggle for many franchises to even give away tickets.

Bill Burr points out something that's IMHO pretty obvious but it's not generally politically correct to say out loud. ( He gets to do it because he has a huge platform and he's a comedian more in the vein of a George Carlin, so the total social context kind of protects him somewhat here) - That women in general do not support the WNBA. People vote with their feet and vote with their wallet and the "election" results show that the WNBA is a bad product. No one goes to an expensive restaurant to order a 20 dollar peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Well it's not going to be common. You don't want to go to pay, in part, for an experience, for something you can make at home by yourself. It's part of why the WNBA fails, it often looks like a boys high school basketball game. Also there are some issues off the court that don't help, not at all, but I am going to limit myself here somewhat, and simply say plenty of current and former WNBA players that have said and done things that have gone viral that don't exactly endear themselves to fans in general.

If women across the country supported the WNBA, it would be a massive success. Women in America have HUGE purchasing power and they've been researched and studied as a key economic demographic for decades upon decades now. There are ways to market to women, but you can't sell anyone a bad "product" for very long. But you'll never see WNBA players admit that the majority of women in the country simply don't give a damn about them nor their sport.

How this applies to TV and film is that if women in general, particularly in the industry, want to see more productions and opportunities for women across the board, then they have to generate massive financial success when they get those opportunities right now. And they just are not. And historically they have not. Not on a broad scale. I've said this in another thread, at some point, you just need to make a good film that entertains the audience, speaks to them on a level regarding the human condition and generate some good "word of mouth". Just some different tweaks towards new age activism only goes so far. Shock marketing only goes so far. Virtue signaling only goes so far. Cooking out the trailers can only go so far. At some point, you just need good meat on the grill.

2) Part of the issue is ultimately a math problem. In front of the camera, there have always been, statistically speaking, fewer roles for women than men. Disproportionately so. And many are segmented into certain established archetypes. Two ways to look at it. That women have been pigeonholed by the industry. That's one perspective that's often cited and used like a battering ram. Or, less commonly said out loud, that at least women have a subset of roles carved out for them. An underlying factor, across all industries, is "ageism" The industry is not forgiving of women who manage break out in front of the camera as they age. But that's true across all kinds of industries, even outside of Hollywood. That's a function of human nature, not just identity politics. This is an area that can be more heavily discussed, but maybe I'll save some of this for another time.

3) From an industry perspective, a lot of the women creatives who did break out, a lot of people just don't like working with them or for them. A lot of people outright despise Jenji Kohan, Lena Dunham, Shonda Rhimes and others. I'm not saying male creatives aren't gigantic PITAs as well, but when you exist as a smaller subset to start, you just don't have the same margin of error. A large part of creating opportunity is "networking", this isn't restricted to Hollywood, and it doesn't open doors for you when you keep burning bridges. You want to work with people you know, that you trust, that have delivered for you in the past, where there is a level of "cost certainty", where they have proven they can get it done under adverse conditions, in heavy time/budget constraints, without adding too much unneeded drama. But our current culture exists as such that you can't really say these things out loud to women in general, so no one says anything and just avoids them. That's not "misogyny" in my book, it's self preservation. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is capable of being a complete and total d#ucheb#g in this life. But our society simply does not hold all of us equally to account to that standard. Wealthy people get more rope. Good looking people to the point of being "hot", get more rope. Connected people via nepotism get more rope. And yes, even a large share of women get more rope.

If women in the industry want more opportunity, they have to do their best to maximize the opportunities they get right now. They need to knock it out of the park and generate huge numbers consistently. BUT PARTICULARLY THAT REGULARLY DRAWS IN LOTS OF WOMEN VIEWERS. Identity politics is not the God of Hollywood, it's money. Create things that become a printing press for money, and you can write your own ticket. That's everyone. Man, woman, Martian, blue, white, purple, gay, straight, young, old, whatever.

So from my perspective, experience and observation in the industry, these are the kind of conversations you can't have in public. You can't really have them in private. You'll just be massacred for saying any of this. So no one says anything and there are activists who are prepared to go down with the ship. I wouldn't say most people out there are IMHO fundamentally good people. But I will say nearly all people are not racists, they aren't bigots, they aren't misogynists, they aren't looking to hurt other people. They are likely to be everyday working class people just trying to get by in life. Pay their rent, buy a few toys, put food on the table for the kids, maybe share a laugh or a beer or two sometime and make the best of their current situation. And all these people have problems of their own. You can't make them care, spend money and support you by trying to guilt them, corner them, shame them and attempt to "cancel" them. Real life people don't work that way.

So I won't say each and every last thing is fair for every woman in the industry. I've seen some pretty ugly things. But no one gets a bed of roses all the time in life. You get dealt a hand of cards. Now you have to play them. That's it. That's all there is to it. Even if sometimes it's unfair. If women in Hollywood, or even outside of it, want "better", however they define it, they have to do less complaining and go create relative massive "success" on their own. This is how you write your own ticket in life.

"I used to have horrible cars that would always end up broken down on the highway. When I tried to flag someone down, nobody stopped. But if I pushed my own car, other drivers would get out and push with me. If you want help, help yourself - people like to see that." - Chris Rock

“The best revenge is massive success.” - Frank Sinatra

So many interesting points you touched on there, there's too many to broach! LOL!

Something that I kept thinking about as I was reading was Lucille Ball. Talk about a woman who didn't stand by and wait for things to happen. I had no idea about all the things she achieved and what she was involved in until someone told me how she helped get the original Star Trek off the ground.

A couple of random points:

There are currently 67 indie films in production in the States that obtained waivers to be able to continue filming. I’m wondering depending on how long the strikes last, that might contribute to a new cycle of filmmaking like what happened in the seventies.

Barbie and Oppenheimer have proved that (some) people still want to go to cinema. Screenings are regularly sold out. I saw Oppenheimer during a work day at 2pm and it was almost full. I can’t remember the last time I ever saw that. The mash up marketing for these films, no idea how much was done by the studios and how much was just created out of thin air as a social media grass roots style campaign seemed to work incredibly well as well and if studios can’t learn from these sorts of things I really hope they all burn in some sort of awesome Tarantino style finale.

Yeah I can't imagine that an R-rated three hour film on the first atom bomb would have done nearly as well if people weren't piggybacking it as a double feature with the much more successful Barbie which may be the first time in cinematic history that a film's competition literally increased its success, lol.

Back