Scarlett Johansson to star in GHOST IN THE SHELL feature film from Dreamworks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I'm going to say, is that I don't like the casting choice for this movie. Not even looking forward to it, as I'm positive it'll do badly in reviews, and in the box office. But, at least we can look forward to some HT figures :dunno.

All I'm going to say, is that I don't like the casting choice for this movie. Not even looking forward to it, as I'm positive it'll do badly in reviews, and in the box office. But, at least we'll get HT figures :dunno.

Another scar hoe sculpt. :lol

I just read a few articles regarding ScarJo's casting as Major Kusanagi...wow. Some people have nothing more important to do in their lives. :rolleyes2

I like this pic of her as Kusanagi. :D

ScarJo.jpg

u just know they will give her a simple t shirt (without cleavage) and some regular jeans..... you just know..

No point in bashing the casting; it's like what can you do? It's an American film.
That's the bottom line indeed, otherwise this movie wouldn't be made.

Personally I'd be fine if these movies weren't made at all, but you know... It's an industry after all.

like they're bringing back the AKIRA remake: team america edition. lolz
According to rumors Nolan was 99% negotiating the Akira remake but then moved on to make Dunkirk.

Supposedly he's making Akira afterwards.

Depending on who's writing it, I could be excited or not, I'm sure it won't be a direct adaptation since that one is loaded with Japanese roots and themes from that time, and if this is any indication, it will be Americanized, which would call for a major revamp.

Personally, I hope they make a trilogy, base it on the manga, but adapt it for modern times so it's its own thing, like how the anime and the manga are independent from each other.

Part 1: Ends with second blast.
Part 2: Great Tokyo empire adaptation/revamp
Part 3: Fall of GTE

All I'm going to say, is that I don't like the casting choice for this movie. Not even looking forward to it, as I'm positive it'll do badly in reviews, and in the box office. But, at least we can look forward to some HT figures :dunno.
If this means we can get some 1995 and some SAC figmas, bring it.

I have no interest in the designs of this movie so far, because this is probably true:

u just know they will give her a simple t shirt (without cleavage) and some regular jeans..... you just know..

Personally I'd be fine if these movies weren't made at all, but you know... It's an industry after all.

According to rumors Nolan was 99% negotiating the Akira remake but then moved on to make Dunkirk.

Depending on who's writing it, I could be excited or not, I'm sure it won't be a direct adaptation since that one is loaded with Japanese roots and themes from that time, and if this is any indication, it will be Americanized, which would call for a major revamp.

Personally, I hope they make a trilogy, base it on the manga, but adapt it for modern times so it's its own thing, like how the anime and the manga are independent from each other.

we already had the hollywood left overs of what AKIRA was supposed to be.

2987093-6706101776-Andre.jpg

lolz

Dunkirk a strange choice but guess he didn't want to do back to back to back sci-fi movies. I dream of him doing Akira- I was upset when he announced Dunkirk!:lol

Justify a white-chick casting choice by saying, "who gives a ****, it's an American-made movie if you don't like it go make your own movie"

...but claims of "she's a cyborg" or "Manga characters are kinda white"... that's irrelevant, perverse apologism to the sookie-lala whiny pants brigade - and kind of more racially offensive than any claim of whitewashing.

Justify a white-chick casting choice by saying, "who gives a ****, it's an American-made movie if you don't like it go make your own movie"

...but claims of "she's a cyborg" or "Manga characters are kinda white"... that's irrelevant, perverse apologism to the sookie-lala whiny pants brigade - and kind of more racially offensive than any claim of whitewashing.

654-greatwhite_2048x2048.jpeg

lolz

Dunkirk a strange choice but guess he didn't want to do back to back to back sci-fi movies. I dream of him doing Akira- I was upset when he announced Dunkirk!:lol
I don't dream of him making it, if anything, I dream of an Akira hollywood movie never happening, but most likely than not, it is gonna happen more sooner than later, and most likely, with Nolan.

But if there's anyone who can land most of the stuff in Akira and make it digestible for the mainstream (which is the point of making an Akira blockbuster at all), it's probably him, and probably give it good cinematography too so it's not the worst it could happen to Akira.

Nobody is saying "make your own movie", they're saying that this movie wouldn't happen if it wasn't a big money blockbuster with a recognizable name as is ScarJo, for which is pointless to complain because the suits don't care anyway, and that IS true.

I agree on the last part, but the fact that she's a cyborg in this case is a legitimate justification for her being white.

I don't dream of him making it, if anything, I dream of an Akira hollywood movie never happening, but most likely than not, it is gonna happen more sooner than later, and most likely, with Nolan.

But if there's anyone who can land most of the stuff in Akira and make it digestible for the mainstream (which is the point of making an Akira blockbuster at all), it's probably him, and probably give it good cinematography too so it's not the worst it could happen to Akira.

Nobody is saying "make your own movie", they're saying that this movie wouldn't happen if it wasn't a big money blockbuster with a recognizable name as is ScarJo, for which is pointless to complain because the suits don't care anyway, and that IS true.

I agree on the last part, but the fact that she's a cyborg in this case is a legitimate justification for her being white.

There shouldn't be any justification beyond, "Scarlett is an A-list actor who has the acting range, experience and box-office pulling power for this role and that's why we cast her".

I mean, apart from this example...

Meet Mark 1: A $50,000 3D printed humanoid robot that looks eerily like Scarlett Johansson

...it defies all nerd and socio-cultural logic to claim that, in the GoiS universe, Kusanagi would be designed as a white chick.

There shouldn't be any justification beyond, "Scarlett is an A-list actor who has the acting range, experience and box-office pulling power for this role and that's why we cast her".

I mean, apart from this example...

Meet Mark 1: A $50,000 3D printed humanoid robot that looks eerily like Scarlett Johansson

...it defies all nerd and socio-cultural logic to claim that, in the GoiS universe, Kusanagi would be designed as a white chick.
You are right, it doesn't need any justification in this case, because the IP allows it creatively, but this doesn't extend to other cases.

Actually it doesn't defy it in the slightest, imo, as a fan of the series, at least, of the 1995 movie and the 1st 2 series, it makes perfect sense, as it has been said many times now, since she has complete cyberbody, of a generic, mass produced variety, that makes it more than plausible that she's a white chick.

In fact, that she's a cyborg, makes the race issue completely irrelevant in this case, she only happens to be ScarJo(white), because, as you said, she's an A-lister, one of the very few actresses right now that can put assess on seats by herself.

You are right, it doesn't need any justification in this case, because the IP allows it creatively, but this doesn't extend to other cases.

Actually it doesn't defy it in the slightest, imo, as a fan of the series, at least, of the 1995 movie and the 1st 2 series, it makes perfect sense, as it has been said many times now, since she has complete cyberbody, of a generic, mass produced variety, that makes it more than plausible that she's a white chick.

In fact, that she's a cyborg, makes the race issue completely irrelevant in this case, she only happens to be ScarJo(white), because, as you said, she's an A-lister, one of the very few actresses right now that can put assess on seats by herself.

Why would it be plausible? She lives in a Japanese city, has a Japanese name and speaks Japanese. Unless these generic cyborgs are being imported from Sweden, it makes sense that any cyborg made in Japan would look Japanese.

You either believe that white-washing is something to be indignant about or not, and it either extends to this case or none at all. Saying, "Oh, OK, I can accept a white chick being cast because the character is a cyborg"... that seems to me to be a cop out. It's suggesting that white-washing is something you'd otherwise be concerned about, but that you're giving this a pass on the thinnest of rationales.

Why would it be plausible? She lives in a Japanese city, has a Japanese name and speaks Japanese. Unless these generic cyborgs are being imported from Sweden, it makes sense that any cyborg made in Japan would look Japanese.
It's a futuristic concept, if you can change the way you look, via cyber bodies, it makes the whole race topic irrelevant.

Yeah, because it's not known that Japanese people have an infatuation with westerners in pop culture and hold the "western" thing to a higher regard.... That very famous anime art style just came into being...

It's not like the publisher himself didn't even think of Kusanagi as Japanese looking...

That would make the generic mass produced body she uses, a generic white chick.

hqdefault.jpg

This is the 1995 movie, that is the same body Kusanagi is supposed to be wearing... Tell me, are Japanese people naturally blond?

You either believe that white-washing is something to be indignant about or not, and it either extends to this case or none at all.
It's a case by case basis, it's not only white washing but race swap in general, it's tied to each individual IP, history, character, story, and situation.

It's never all or nothing.

Saying, "Oh, OK, I can accept a white chick being cast because the character is a cyborg"... that seems to me to be a cop out.

It's suggesting that white-washing is something you'd otherwise be concerned about, but that you're giving this a pass on the thinnest of rationales.
How is it a copout then? I just explained how the fact that she's a cyborg is a legitimate justification, to the point that the white-washing does not work for Togusa, who is NOT a cyborg.

Race swap doesn't work for Black Panther, it wouldn't work for Akira unless reimagined, but it does work here, for a couple of characters.

The IP itself providing you with the justification you need is the thinnest of rationales?

Last edited:
Sorry man, I just don't care enough to debate it. If your lens tells you it's cool because she's a cyborg, who am I to bring down your vibe.

Me, I just like good movies and good acting. And Scarlett Johansson.

Back