Scarlett Johansson to star in GHOST IN THE SHELL feature film from Dreamworks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find another thread about this movie so ill post here. Anyone else excited about this?

Yup!

:) What i don't get is the whitewash bashing especially towards Scarlett. The creators of the actual manga said they never saw Major as Japanese, they saw her as white. And she's a cyborg, she's not Japanese. She's not human, so how can she be Japanese?

People are dumb.

At first I thought it was only beautiful women that they hated, but apparently they don't like old or fat ones either. So, there it is.

Never heard of Ghost in the Shell and don't bother with those types of comics. Now i'll go see it just because I like the actress. It's not whitewashing, it's called star power. People just want something to complain about.

I couldn't find another thread about this movie so ill post here. Anyone else excited about this? :) What i don't get is the whitewash bashing especially towards Scarlett. The creators of the actual manga said they never saw Major as Japanese, they saw her as white. And she's a cyborg, she's not Japanese. She's not human, so how can she be Japanese?

I feel like people commenting never actually saw the movie, nor understand it. There are many iterations of it too, like several books, movies, tv shows, etc. I've only seen the original movie, but now i want to check out all the other stuff because i loved the movie :)

I don't get it either. :huh IMO people bashing ScarJo are just clueless rebels without a cause.

I am a Ghost In The Shell Fan and a Scar Jo fan so I am on bored, at the very least if the movie sucks I get some gratutious shots of nudity

Same, same and :drool.

Going by posts and threads on this board, no one here like girls.

At first I thought it was only beautiful women that they hated, but apparently they don't like old or fat ones either. So, there it is.

Maybe the forum should be renamed...

he-man-woman-haters-club-bw.jpg

Never heard of Ghost in the Shell and don't bother with those types of comics. Now i'll go see it just because I like the actress. It's not whitewashing, it's called star power. People just want something to complain about.

Mostly Social Justice Warriors. :lol

So someone from casting saw Lucy and said "She could be Moyoyo Kusan-whats her name for the new Ghost in Shell movie we're doing. We could also cast that one guy who was in it for 5 mins".

Tao Okamoto is an okay choice but too skinny.

I couldn't find another thread about this movie so ill post here. Anyone else excited about this? :) What i don't get is the whitewash bashing especially towards Scarlett. The creators of the actual manga said they never saw Major as Japanese, they saw her as white. And she's a cyborg, she's not Japanese. She's not human, so how can she be Japanese?

I feel like people commenting never actually saw the movie, nor understand it. There are many iterations of it too, like several books, movies, tv shows, etc. I've only seen the original movie, but now i want to check out all the other stuff because i loved the movie :)

I'm not going to give away "spoilers" since you haven't seen the animated series (Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG). All I'll tell you is, Motoko being a cyborg, means that she's part human, part machine.

At first I was annoyed by the idea of making a live action, since I love the 1995 movie so much, but then I heard rumor that apparently they're making an adaptation of the laughing man, so then I thought it was ok then, since the series is more apt for a blockbuster type thing, being watered down from the 1995 movie, and easier to digest to the mainstream of today, they'll probably water it down even more though.

That rumor also made me think ScarJo was a good choice for the role, given how 1995 Motoko has a different personality than SAC's Motoko, she's more upbeat and a more standard stoic female hero with the occasional quips, I just hope they don't go overboard and go full Black Widow quips, which they probably will...

So the 1995 movie appears to be untouched, and I'm happy about that.

About the race thing, in this case it doesn't bother me, I don't care what the creator says but yeah she's a cyborg, she can be Japanese and still look "white" since they have removable parts and pretty much standard bodies and faces, so it works. And it's pretty realistic, I've read some stuff in the past that there was a trend of Japanese and Korean young people getting surgery to look more western. I don't know if that is still going on.

PS: Who let Tumblr in?

I'm not going to give away "spoilers" since you haven't seen the animated series (Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG). All I'll tell you is, Motoko being a cyborg, means that she's part human, part machine.

yes, but she's not really Japanese. She's got a cyberbrain, with basically a full body prosthesis which is supposed to be non-specific body except that she looks female. And like it was mentioned, according to the creators she wasn't seen as Japanese. Batou, Togusa don't really look Asian to me either, but maybe they do to other people?

Last edited:
Were the creators referring to Motoko's facial features, or her voluptuousness? Aside from her, anime characters in general don't genuinely look Japanese.

Were the creators referring to Motoko's facial features, or her voluptuousness? Aside from her, anime characters in general don't genuinely look Japanese.

well i guess his comments are a little ambiguous...He said:

“Looking at her career so far, I think Scarlett Johansson is well cast. She has the cyberpunk feel. And we never imagined it would be a Japanese actress in the first place.”

Thats all thats been quoted so far from the creator.

Last edited:
Oh the silly old "anime characters don't really look Japanese to me" :lol

Make no mistake, Kusanagi IS Japanese, as well as the rest of the characters. She was still born in a Japan-like country, with a Japanese name, and of Japanese ethnicity. The fact that most characters in most animes don't look Japanese is due to most anime art styles, not because they are not Japanese characters.

It just so happens that, in this particular IP, the whitewashing can be justified because they're using full body prostheses.

yes, but she's not really Japanese. She's got a cyberbrain, with basically a full body prosthesis which is supposed to be non-specific body except that she looks female. And like i mentioned, according to the creators she wasn't seen as Japanese. Batou, Togusa don't really look Asian to me either, but maybe they do to other people?

I think the publishers (Kodansha that said that) not so much the creator, Masamune Shirow.

Also, it really depends cause the movies, shows, and manga differ greatly. The manga doesn't really clarify that she's a Japanese national (it's speculated that Kusanagi is male) however the TV show makes that clear distinction. They even spent an episode on her origin.

I hope, for this movie:

• That it's made clear her body is mass produced (to remain conspicuous) but with better internal parts.
  • And it's a human brain inside.
  • And is the leader of section 9.
  • And that she kicks tons of ass.

How can you guys say crap when the live action Attack on Titan film cast was all Japanese? They're all European except for Mikasa. :lol

Make no mistake, Kusanagi IS Japanese, as well as the rest of the characters. She was still born in a Japan-like country, with a Japanese name, and of Japanese ethnicity. The fact that most characters in most animes don't look Japanese is due to most anime art styles, not because they are not Japanese characters.

It just so happens that, in this particular IP, the whitewashing can be justified because they're using full body prostheses.

Oh ok. I haven't seen the movie in years, so i cant remember the details. I just saw that article the publisher was ok with Scarlett like the OP had written. I didn't even know there were other movies or books.

Yes, the art is really a style isn't it.

not even people in Japan are really giving a crap...

I think the publishers (Kodansha that said that) not so much the creator, Masamune Shirow.

Also, it really depends cause the movies, shows, and manga differ greatly. The manga doesn't really clarify that she's a Japanese national (it's speculated that Kusanagi is male) however the TV show makes that clear distinction. They even spent an episode on her origin.

I hope, for this movie:

• That it's made clear her body is mass produced (to remain conspicuous) but with better internal parts.

How can you guys say crap when the live action Attack on Titan film cast was all Japanese? They're all European except for Mikasa. :lol

Oh Ok, got it!!!! That makes more sense then. I'll have to rewatch the movie. Its been forever.

Oh ok. I haven't seen the movie in years, so i cant remember the details. I just saw that article the publisher was ok with Scarlett like the OP had written. I didn't even know there were other movies or books.

Yes, the art is really a style isn't it.
Yeah I think it's ok too, like many have said, it's a mass produced body, in the 1995 movie that's even a plot point.

I hope, for this movie:

Why would there need to be clarification? Her name is Motoko Kusanagi in a story set in a Japan-like country.

I've never read the manga completely because I dislike the art very much, and the tone too kinda, so I didn't know it was speculated he was a man, do you have a scan I can check? In all the other mediums she's clearly a woman just with a fake body, and obviously the option to change to a male body if she so decided, which Batou suggested her in SAC, why would that be any different in the manga?

I don't care about AoT, but it was pretty dumb that they cast the cast they cast, but that doesn't justify all pointless race swaps.

Back