NEW SS Ark vs. Proto SS Ark

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What other sideshow 1:6 is selling for 2-3 times as much? Luke Jedi is the only one I can think of.

Doesn't Sideshow's 1/6 T2 T-800 go for surprisingly high prices? I don't know if it's 3 times the price, but it seems to sell for a pretty penny.

Not sure why, exactly, but that's another topic... :monkey3:D

Pfft! If you collect for value, maybe. Personally, I just collect stuff that I like. And I like stuff that looks good and accurate, so this won't qualify no matter what it's "worth".

Looks like you aren't collecting anything Sideshow then as your constant dissatisfaction with G.I. Joe, Star Wars and Indy are any indication. Personally, I collect only the things I like and I get them now when I can so I don't have to pay inflated secondary market prices later. So the Ark's not perfect but then again almost every 1:6 collectible that's been produce hasn't been. You can find flaws in almost everything. I find it amusing that collectors here were begging Sideshow to get the Indy license and produce a dream line of 1:6 Indy collectibles and they did and those same collectors are now canceling and dropping the line like a hot potato just like Hasbro did and when Sideshow finally does the same those same fickle collectors will cry foul that the Indy license was mishandled just like LOTR.

So the Ark's not perfect but then again almost every SSC 1:6 collectible that's been produce hasn't been. You can find flaws in almost everything. I find it amusing that collectors here were begging Sideshow to get the Indy license and produce a dream line of 1:6 Indy collectibles and they did and those same collectors are now canceling and dropping the line like a hot potato just like Hasbro did and when Sideshow finally does the same those same fickle collectors will cry foul that the Indy license was mishandled just like LOTR.

FTFY ;)

LOTR just took too long. IJ just represents bad decision making. The Pro body not being the same scale as the Buck is a bad decision. The Idol Environment and the Ark being exclusives to figures is a bad decision. If Belloq wasn't going to sell by himself then they shouldn't have produced him.
Announcing another figure with glasses after the glasses debacle with Toht was a bad decision.

I probably would've stuck with Toht had his glasses ended up like the prototype. That was really the straw that broke the camel's back. I know it's just beating a dead horse at this point, but the fact that Sideshow has so much trouble accurately re-creating their prototypes is just KILLING their figures for me. When the figures are first shown, they look GREAT, but when they end up on my shelf, they look decent. And that's a huge issue. They've got to figure out a solution.

I probably would've stuck with Toht had his glasses ended up like the prototype. That was really the straw that broke the camel's back. I know it's just beating a dead horse at this point, but the fact that Sideshow has so much trouble accurately re-creating their prototypes is just KILLING their figures for me. When the figures are first shown, they look GREAT, but when they end up on my shelf, they look decent. And that's a huge issue. They've got to figure out a solution.

I am still waiting for someone to start this thread in the ask sideshow section to see how they will manager there QC with the Henry Senior glasses.

FTFY ;)

LOTR just took too long. IJ just represents bad decision making. The Pro body not being the same scale as the Buck is a bad decision. The Idol Environment and the Ark being exclusives to figures is a bad decision. If Belloq wasn't going to sell by himself then they shouldn't have produced him.
Announcing another figure with glasses after the glasses debacle with Toht was a bad decision.

Every 1:6 figure I own has had some flaw or another, including my absolute favorite pieces. Some you can live with and others you cannot and have to repaint, modify, or customize to make them tolerable or more screen accurate just to appease yourself because, let's face it, no one else knows or cares whether or not it's perfect except us. Even Hot Toys has production flaws and QC issues. I have 2 broken legged Aliens warriors, ED-209 with rotting rubber dome, broken wrist pegs on several figures, and as far as accuracy goes, they're inconsistent as well. If you can tolerate a pygmy sized Predator, for example, you can tolerate the minor inaccuracies of the Ark. Would I like it to be 100% perfect? Of course. But having spent thousands in this hobby has only assured me of one simple truth: No licensed collectible ever turns out 100% perfect. You will spend your whole life obsessing over details and never enjoy what you have.

Would I like it to be 100% perfect? Of course. But having spent thousands in this hobby has only assured me of one simple truth: No licensed collectible ever turns out 100% perfect. You will spend your whole life obsessing over details and never enjoy what you have.

Exactly, thats why I don't let the little details bother me. If the Ark is bright red then its a problem but the little things that people are talking about here are no big deal.

Part of it, though, is the cost of these pieces that some of us feel fall short. I think we all would be more forgiving of the inaccuracies if the cost was significantly less.

Personally, I'm still debating on whether I should keep my Ex order, but the overall price is a killer for me, especially right now that I'm making a bit less than I was when I first placed the order. If it was perfect, then it would be a no-brainer for me and I would keep it, debt be damned! But it's not perfect and the only thing keeping me from canceling is thinking (or knowing) that later down the line I will regret having missed out.

Part of it, though, is the cost of these pieces that some of us feel fall short. I think we all would be more forgiving of the inaccuracies if the cost was significantly less.

PRE-cisely. I just got my HT Godfather for $151 shipped, and the same day these production pics come out, and I'm comparing my Godfather for $151 and Exclusive Toht for $201. It's just not worth the money for all the flaws. I'm not going to pay more for a fig that looks worse.

I think that this could have and should have been better. Little things don't bother me, but as I've mentioned earlier, just a glancing comparison reveals very obvious flaws. I'm still going to wait to see some in hand pics, but if it comes out like it looks in those photos, I'm disappointed. This is not just some minor background prop, it's the whole reason Indy got his start. It was a beautiful piece of movie prop making, that should be represented as well as possible.

I really miss the Master Replicas formula, where they had a forum presence with Amy and you could ask questions and get a sense of what was going on. Sideshow is just too quiet and secretive. Does it have to be this way. Why not capitalize on all the love and expertise of the folks on this site? Things would come out great if they listened too all the proofing that goes on here.

I'm very proud of the passion in this forum but often frustrated by its subject. Sideshow could use a little competition to force them to up their game!

I really miss the Master Replicas formula, where they had a forum presence with Amy and you could ask questions and get a sense of what was going on. Sideshow is just too quiet and secretive. Does it have to be this way. Why not capitalize on all the love and expertise of the folks on this site? Things would come out great if they listened too all the proofing that goes on here.

I'm very proud of the passion in this forum but often frustrated by its subject. Sideshow could use a little competition to force them to up their game!

Sideshow is a MUCH bigger company that MR was....and Sideshow has not only maintained (longevity) but they have increased their sales and licenses. They are a fairly big and healthy company in a very difficult and competitive business.
They're not going to change their formula now.

.....Having said that....I completely agree with you.

But even the Master Replicas items were idealized and full of detail inaccuracies and if you want to nitpick the guys over at the RPF used to take them to task. They were a great company in their infancy. I got a tour of their offices and met with Steve Dymzo and many of the designers. They were always struggling to bring the most accurate and affordable licensed prop replicas to collectors versus having to streamline the manufacturing process and sacrificing materials/details. I imagine Sideshow and Hot Toys both face similar challenges with their prototypes and production pieces though it seems more often than not quality gets cut at the expense of cheaper materials to maximize their profit margins.

I really miss the Master Replicas formula, where they had a forum presence with Amy and you could ask questions and get a sense of what was going on. Sideshow is just too quiet and secretive. Does it have to be this way. Why not capitalize on all the love and expertise of the folks on this site? Things would come out great if they listened too all the proofing that goes on here.​

I would venture to guess that Amy from MR was so successful at the community interaction in part because of the relatively small number of releases per year (comparing MR and Sideshow), and the limited volume of discussion of MR products.

We would love to be more active in the forums, but we simply can't keep up with you! :bow

One of our solutions is the Ask Sideshow section of our site, which we have dedicated more time to answering. Please send in your questions! It's the best way to get some real information, and to communicate with us directly with your constructive feedback!

:joy

Brant

PS - you're absolutely right about Carl... :gun
:wave

Last edited:
... Personally, I just collect stuff that I like. And I like stuff that looks good and accurate, so this won't qualify no matter what it's "worth".

I agree....I've never collected this stuff thinking I was going to make a killing on it later...always just pick up what I like. Now, it's reaching a point where space is an issue and the prices keep rising, so how and if the figure (or piece) is going to be displayed is becoming more important than ever to me.

I can't afford it all (or even have the room for it) so...if it doesn't look right, it's gonna be a "pass". When the prototype of Toht appeared, he looked fantastic...from his perfectly bespectacled head to his sharp looking shoes and everything in between. The ark proto looked "off", but it seemed like efforts were being made to "correct" it...sounded good, eh?

Well...Toht has been showing up for collectors looking....nearly perfect, but...those glasses took a hit somewhere in the process (but everything else looks great) and the ark? It has ended up looking more like an artist's "interpretation" of the piece instead of a scaled replica of it...and that's not what I was hoping for so...with great regret, I cancelled the exclusive.

I hope to pick up Toht later on his own, but considering the steep price for this set and what the results seem to be, it's a pass....

I cancelled the EX Toht for one reason only: the price. I just couldn't see spending another $100 for the Ark (which I don't have room to display anyways). Between that and Toht we are entering PF territory. Toht alone is pricey enough as it is. Sometimes I can't believe that I'm dropping $90 for a 12" figure.

You can thank the success of Hot Toys for the increase in 1/6 prices. Business dictates that if the market's hot, raise the price. If only I hadn't been waiting for 30 years for toys like these to come out, I'd be friggin' rich right now.

Back