Premium Format New Sideshow Spider-Man (Comic) PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight wise it looks like it's pretty well balanced at least. Not like the JSC where all the weight would naturally want to lean one way.

If it's thin enough to curve -like heavy gauge armature wire- then I don't think you are realizing all that much support. It will continue to bend over time, albeit at a slightly slower rate.
But still- you are merely trading one stress point (at the palm/wrist) for another (the shoulder).

Also I would question the ability of the factory to oversee the complexity of incorporating bent or angled wire in the this and having everything line up properly time after time.

As designed here, this looks to be a hugely problematic piece to me. Who knows? Maybe SS will prove themselves to be engineering wizards with this one.
Based on prior experience though, and the problems cropping up with much more rudimentary designs, I think belief in their engineering prowess is a long shot bet.

That JSC lean is worrying... Need to check mine :(

Unfortunately I don't trust the factories to paint a straight line or pack a statue without scratching or chipping it.
Inserting a metal rod to help with stability?...

Thats why I'm glad Alex said they're putting steel rods in this new Spidey

Whatever they end up doing Josh, I hope it works. This piece will be THE Spidey statue for a lot of collectors and I'd hate to see peeps have to deal with any leaning issues. Hopefully, their attempts to address the problem will do the job.

If it's thin enough to curve -like heavy gauge armature wire- then I don't think you are realizing all that much support. It will continue to bend over time, albeit at a slightly slower rate.
But still- you are merely trading one stress point (at the palm/wrist) for another (the shoulder).

Also I would question the ability of the factory to oversee the complexity of incorporating bent or angled wire in the this and having everything line up properly time after time.

As designed here, this looks to be a hugely problematic piece to me. Who knows? Maybe SS will prove themselves to be engineering wizards with this one.
Based on prior experience though, and the problems cropping up with much more rudimentary designs, I think belief in their engineering prowess is a long shot bet.
Armature wire isn't made from a strong enough alloy. If you have a set of allen wrenches go try to bend one. Not exactly easy. Secondly, this would have to set up at the molding phase of manufacturing which I'd imagine isn't done by hand but by machine. So they would have to have it set with the steel rod before the polystone resin is i jected into the casting mold. Third if the rod is one solid piece, which I'm hoping it is going into the base the the stress point would in the base, which can be minimzed if the take the proper precautions. Just saying this isn't a suspension bridge so the engineering involved shouldn't be that difficult, but I don't begrudge you your skeptism

What has SSC done in the past for issues that are their products fault, like leaning, after the 30 day (or how many days it is) return period?

My guess is that it's a "that's too bad" type of scenario?

the only way I can envision this being pulled off is if they switch to lighter weight PVC for the figure. Even eggshell thin hollow polystone is going to put too much stress on the connection point.
And even with the PVC I would want to see a substantial post, though the angle of the girder and angle of the arm still limit that quite a bit.

I know Alex said as of now they intend to do this 100% in polystone. I expect you will see that walked back eventually. At least anyone that likes this design should hope they walk that back.

the only way I can envision this being pulled off is if they switch to lighter weight PVC for the figure. Even eggshell thin hollow polystone is going to put too much stress on the connection point.
And even with the PVC I would want to see a substantial post, though the angle of the girder and angle of the arm still limit that quite a bit.

I know Alex said as of now they intend to do this 100% in polystone. I expect you will see that walked back eventually. At least anyone that likes this design should hope they walk that back.
I've seen more extreme designs done in polystone without issue, much like the Superman Lois staue shown earlier

Ordered mine. Its been a while since I've ordered from Sideshow, Trying not to get sucked in to the Arkham line although I will get Harley.

As in the wall is starting to lean forward. Not my pic, but here you go:

gMLAHCe.jpg

Yikes. Knew Gwen Stacey had this problem but never knew Spidey has it also. :horror

Checked mine and the wall is slightly bending already... WTF *(&!@#(*!@(*@!@*( D:

I've never purchased from Sideshow before. How much approximately would postage be to Australia? Also do you get charged custom fees? Weighing out to see if its worth getting the EX or if the regular version would be a lot cheaper from Pop Cultcha?

Not sure about shipping cost, but I don't think ozzies would get charged any import fee's for this.

No issues with mine so far. Honestly it doesn't freak me out. Losing so much family in my life the past few years makes you shrug when this sort of thing happens. In the end it's just a hunk of plastic. Is it cool that some of this stuff happens just a year of owning a piece... nope. But nobody is forcing us our hands to continue down the road of purchasing these items.

As it was said earlier, the rod would. Extend from the hand down into the base and would travel up the arm and curve into the body. Think of an allen wrench but longer at both ends and curved at the right location. A steel piece that thin going through the body curved down the arm, through hand and into the base could provide the desired support.

*nods* I concur.

Back