New Buffy Line Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So It's another case of 'women don't count' which is highly ironic considering the subject matter.

Count me as being incredibly unimpressed, I mean when the hell did Willow dress in such tight and revealing clothing and Faith go hunting in just a bra? *head desk*

Imo to say It's disrespectful of Willows character is an understatement.

I couldn't agree more with the parts in bold. SideShow did take liberties with this line by sexing up the gals.

In all fairness to SideShow, they only upped it up a notch from what the studio heads at FOX originally had done. I remember a certain character named Buffy "Anne" Summers and another lovely lady named Cordelia Chase that wore scantily clad outfits through seasons 1 and 2. If memory served me correct, those two were often seen in tight revealing attire that at times exposed cleavage, bare midriffs and showed a lot of leg. Mini skirts, tight body forming dresses, knee socks and leather boots were the big fashion faux pas during those first two seasons. I believe, and I could be totally off here, it was done to ultimately attract the male audience to the program. I doubt it was Joss Whedon's call, but I imagine that Fox and/or theWB knew the writing and characters would bring in the female audience. Beyond the things that go "bump" in the night, they needed to sex up the show for what (again, I imagine) they believe would further lend itself to draw the male audience in. I'll be the first to admit, it was Buffy's golden dress with the dark brown leather boots that got me initially watching. It was the great writing and character development that turned me into a fan. Later on as the series grew in quality, and its fan base reached peak numbers, the series producers realized it didn't need to sex up their girls anymore to sell the audience.

Although you maybe against it, it's better than nothing. If this line sells well, perhaps SideShow may entertain the idea to further their Premium Format line or come out with other statue lines like the vs. dioramas.

In all fairness to SideShow, they only upped it up a notch from what the studio heads at FOX originally had done. I remember a certain character named Buffy "Anne" Summers and another lovely lady named Cordelia Chase that wore scantily clad outfits through seasons 1 and 2. If memory served me correct, those two were often seen in tight revealing attire that at times exposed cleavage, bare midriffs and showed a lot of leg.

Really? Cordy and Faith maybe (particularly Cordy in a couple of episodes in AtS) , but they didn't look like complete skanks, which is how these figures are coming across to me and many other women that I've shown this image too.

But then as I said before it seems female collectors don't count and despite this being a show which had a heavy feminist undertone all that has been ignored to pander to the 'lads' to the detriment of Willows character. Call me annoyed as well as unimpressed.

Really? Cordy and Faith maybe (particularly Cordy in a couple of episodes in AtS) , but they didn't look like complete skanks, which is how these figures are coming across to me and many other women that I've shown this image too.

But then as I said before it seems female collectors don't count and despite this being a show which had a heavy feminist undertone all that has been ignored to pander to the 'lads' to the detriment of Willows character. Call me annoyed as well as unimpressed.

Buffy too.. she was famous for wearing the mini dresses that showed a whole lot of thigh and leather boots. Boots that come with a certain title. Think of three letters. The captain of the swim team even made a comment in, yes that episode again, Go Fish, that she gives guys mixed messages with the way she dresses. lol

My point is, she was also at fault for wearing sexually enticing outfits. I don't think she was a skank. I am always in the boat, if you got it you flaunt it, and back then it was all in fashion. So honestly, if we called her out on it, we would be calling a lot of girls on it. Very good women who are not the least bit skanky. Just was the fashion at the times, but yes, it was definitely a flaunting number.

Buffy too.. she was famous for wearing the mini dresses that showed a whole lot of thigh and leather boots.

For one season only hon. BTVS prided itself in not showing unnecessarily high volumes of female flesh unlike AtS, so I think you've got a bit of selective memory there. If anything it was the male characters who showed the lots flesh and were exploited sexually. For damn change I might add. Buffy was aimed a tad more towards a female fanbase then I think blokes like to admit.

Go Fish, that she gives guys mixed messages with the way she dresses.

Dear god, do you know how insulting to her character that comes across?

Buffy very quickly reverted to wearing simple cloths and normally jeans. Even the PF is sporting an outfit that she only ever wore in one season 1 promo shot and never in the show. It's the blody men who seem to forever be obsessed with a version of Buffy that hardly even existed in the TV, let alone base merchandise on.

What they've done to poor Willow is simply pathetic in the extreme, but then I remember the show's nerdy Willow and not this skankish creation.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to get it, but the likeness is preventing me

Just buy it already, before you regret it. When the rest hit this line, Buffy will be a distant memory on the Sideshow in-stock list. :lecture

This is me when I woke up this morning, 12 hours after the sneak peak:

ric-flair-nuts-o.gif

Still going strong...

Ats had what? I know that Cordelia showed cleaveage and Fred sometimes had skirts, but what else was there?

Thats the episodes I meant hon. I simply don't know what show some people were watching all these years, I really don't.

This was my reaction to seeing these figures....

nf05xe.gif

:slap

I understand where some of you are coming from with the Willow character and whether or not the statue really "matches her personality," etc. etc., but at the same time Sideshow has already said they were going to put their own "spin" on this line and that's what we're getting. We knew this from the beginning. Some will like it. Some won't. And I get that.

I'll admit that the Slayer on the Throne was difficult for me to like at first, but after watching the sit-down video chat they posted during the 12 Days of Christmas, I appreciated the piece that much more. I understood where they were coming from. The image of the characters we know and love won't necessarily be those that Sideshow represents. It's an amalgamation of both and that's what we're going to see.

I understood where they were coming from. The image of the characters we know and love won't necessarily be those that Sideshow represents

So I'd say whats the bloody point? Are blokes so desperate that they'd prefer to have 'hooker Willow' on their shelf rather then a faithful reproduction of the character they actually saw on the show and fell in love with?

It's like shoving big boobs on Buffy, truly insulting mixed with desperation. IMO sooo not what the shows female cast was about.

So I'd say whats the bloody point? Are blokes so desperate that they'd prefer to have 'hooker Willow' on their shelf rather then a faithful reproduction of the character they actually saw on the show and fell in love with?

Well, like I said, you either like it or you don't. They're doing the same thing across many licenses right now.

Sideshow just shipped a Marvel Hulk comiquette based on Ariel Olivetti's artwork. It's certainly an interesting take on the Hulk and not one that I would particularly think of when imagining him, but nonetheless, that's ultimately what they went with.

They also did the same thing with a Jason Voorhees comiquette released not too long ago. There was definitely more of a Sideshow influence on that piece than anything I've ever seen in terms of Friday the 13th movies.

They've been flexing a lot of creativity lately and it's transcending more than just "a unique pose." It's a whole new interpretation. I can respect that though. I've got my image of the Slayer and Scooby Gang already imprinted in my brain. That's what I'll always think of when I see new Buffy merchandise hit the shelves, but I have to respect when a company thinks "outside of the box." That's exactly what I think Sideshow has done. No one is going to be able to recreate a Buffy piece that conforms to everyone's taste. The consumers are way too divided in that respect. For example, my "favorite" Buffy is Season 1 and 2 Buffy. Cocky, young, throwing caution to wind. Not the Season 6 and 7 Buffy that juggles slaying with trying to raise Dawn and pay the bills. I don't want to see a Season 7 attitude. I want a Season 1 attitude. Both are two extremes, and many people will disagree with my taste.

So that being the case, why not put your own spin on it because you certainly won't make everyone happy? You might as well think up a fresh, new look for a character just as Sideshow has done.

They've been flexing a lot of creativity lately and it's transcending more than just "a unique pose." It's a whole new interpretation. I can respect that though. I've got my image of the Slayer and Scooby Gang already imprinted in my brain. That's what I'll always think of when I see new Buffy merchandise hit the shelves, but I have to respect when a company thinks "outside of the box."

Sadly I don't have respect for any company that wants depict feminist icon characters in this appalling light. Talk about twist the whole vibe of the series into an ugly one.

But then I'm grown women and this rubbish isn't aimed at me is it.

If the market was being flooded with Buffy product (like it is with Hulks, Thors, and Wolverines), I can see why some artists would want to offer a new take (even if non-representative) on characters like Willow and Faith, for example. However, since we're clearly not being inundated with Buffy statues, why stray away as far? I mean, at first glance, my initial thought was that the designer of the Willow statue either wasn't a fan of the show or simply doesn't "get" the character. In fact, it may as well be a Bizarro world Willow.

That's not to say the Willow isn't nice.
It's more to say that it isn't the Willow I know.

Sadly I don't have respect for any company that wants depict feminist icon characters in this appalling light. Talk about twist the whole vibe of the series into an ugly one.

But then I'm grown women and this rubbish isn't aimed at me is it.

I wouldn't necessarily call this "rubbish," but I definitely respect your opinion. Either way, I'm excited to see how this develops further. Hopefully, we see a pre-order for one of the two (if not, both) soon. :rock

Back