M. Night's The Last Airbender

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kid looks very much like Aang, and does have some very good martial arts skills. He makes the bending quite believable.

And the movie isn't THAT bad. It has some very good moments, where you can see where it could have been actually great with the right director. In some ways that makes it all the more painful, because you know what it could have been.

Not all the acting is terrible - Irho (sp?) is great, even though he's nothing like the cartoon version. And Zuko is decent as well, all though being angry tends to be an easier acting gig.

But Aang, Katara and Sokka never get to shine, and it's tough to tell how much of that is M. Night and how much of that is them. They do what they're told, especially at that age.

Even with the weaknesses, the final scene is still very powerful - imagine how much more powerful it would have been if the previous 100 minutes had been well done?

If I were to have one major complaint, it would be exactly what we all feared from the trailers - M. Night sucked all the humor, all the heart out of the film.

M. Night needs to change his attitude. He needs to step back, take on something small, and COLLABORATE.

Saw it with the kids today. Weak story line that seemed rushed and no character depth, but for a "kids movie" I thought it was alright.

I learned a long time ago to separate a movie from its original source... it will never be as good. So, with that in mind, I thought the movie was ok... just average and could have been much better, but not horrible either. The worst things for me was that the characters were completely emotionless and humorless, and the story was way too rushed... granted, I can only say that when comparing to the original, but some things you just can't put out of your head when making a comparison. Otherwise, the action scenes and efx were pretty good. I will just think of this as "another interpretation" of the story.

It may not be what people consider anime but its pretty damn close. Style, story telling, Sequential episodes, etc all are similar to that of an anime series.

From what I'm hearing, this is another live action movie based on an anime/cartoon that failed. So sad.

Yes, it was influenced heavily by anime, but in today's world, "anime" is pretty much reserved just for Japanese animation. Although, I kind of agree with you that "anime" shouldn't really be separated from the rest of the world's animation. I have seen many interviews with Japanese "anime" creators, and it is funny, because you can here them actually say the word "animation" when the subtitles say anime! Animation is animation... no matter where it originates. It is just unfortunate that the term "anime" has come to mean a certain style(s) of Japanese animation.

Oh God that was HORRIBLE!!!!! Remarkably bad. How the hell does this idiot still make movies?!?!?!?! For the love of God someone stop this man. ____!!!!!! That was easily the worst movie I have seen in a long long long time.

This jackass makes Lucas look like Scorsese!

Would have rather went and watched the new Twilight movie.

Wow, what's with throwing insults at the man? I understand that you didn't like the movie, and yes it wasn't the best movie or his best work...But to call the guy an idiot and a jackass is just being disrespectful...He still did make some good movies with Signs and Unbreakable...So he just may be going through a rough spot right now, every director goes thru them in their career...I really hope that part 2 is better tho..

Wow, what's with throwing insults at the man? I understand that you didn't like the movie, and yes it wasn't the best movie or his best work...But to call the guy an idiot and a jackass is just being disrespectful...He still did make some good movies with Signs and Unbreakable...So he just may be going through a rough spot right now, every director goes thru them in their career...I really hope that part 2 is better tho..

M Night gets no sympathy from me. He has become one of the most overrated, pretentious, and laughable directors around. How many times does he have to be in his own movies as some kind of hero? Time and time again, he gets an opportunity to make a good film, and time and time again he fails.

I've never seen a director given so many shots at big budget movies all on the cred of 2 good films (sixth sense/signs). I was genuinely surprised to see his name surface after the "The Happening." What a ridiculous piece of crap movie that was..."Hey, tree, don't kill me alright? I just wanna say hello to your motha."

Give us some more of what made you famous or GTFO...actually, you've had enough chances, just GTFO.

Signs was piss poor as well. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were solid - nothing since has been above mediocre, and some, like Happening, are awful.

Airbender is the best movie he's done since Unbreakable (yes, I like it better than Signs, no doubt for me), but that's not really saying a whole lot.

M Night said:
And I fought like crazy to have the pronunciation of the names to go back to the Asian pronunciation. So you say "Ahng" instead of "Aaang" because it's correct. It's not "I-rack," it's "ee-Rock." I'm literally fighting for all this.

And then he casts a white kid. :dunno

Yea ! If he wanted the proper pronounciation then he shoulda casted an asian actor.

M.Night made the happening. He sucks. He sucks so hard. And he's pretentious.

M Night gets no sympathy from me. He has become one of the most overrated, pretentious, and laughable directors around. How many times does he have to be in his own movies as some kind of hero? Time and time again, he gets an opportunity to make a good film, and time and time again he fails.

I don't think there's nothing wrong with putting himself in as cameos for his movies, it's just for fun and he enjoys it, I would prob do the same thing if I was a director and could act a little :lol

I liked most of his movies thus far, my fav being Signs and Unbreakable..So even tho he hasn't made his best movies lately, I still like the guy and have nothing against him, but that's just my opinion, heh...

It's all hype anyway, some of his own doing and others who were hailing him the next Hitchcock. :monkey4

I don't think there's nothing wrong with putting himself in as cameos for his movies, it's just for fun and he enjoys it, I would prob do the same thing if I was a director and could act a little :lol

I liked most of his movies thus far, my fav being Signs and Unbreakable..So even tho he hasn't made his best movies lately, I still like the guy and have nothing against him, but that's just my opinion, heh...

I think its more the fact that he took our beloved last airbender and ruined its name by making a terrible movie out of it, the happening was crap, and thats that,nothing was tainted there..

Signs was piss poor as well. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were solid - nothing since has been above mediocre, and some, like Happening, are awful.

Airbender is the best movie he's done since Unbreakable (yes, I like it better than Signs, no doubt for me), but that's not really saying a whole lot.

WHAT!!?? Signs was one of his best films. But then again this is coming from the guy that thinks airbender is his best film since unbreakable.:rotfl

WHAT!!?? Signs was one of his best films. But then again this is coming from the guy that thinks airbender is his best film since unbreakable.:rotfl

:lecture

Signs was a great movie! And saying AirBender is his best since Unbreakable isn't hard to believe...The Village :slap...Lady in the Water :gah:...The Happening :thud:

Signs was better than those that followed, but still a piss poor movie. A silly, juvenile discussion on 'faith' masquerading as sci-fi with plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. Ugh.

In Signs and Lady in the Water, he had full blown minor character roles, not just cameos. It bothered me a bit.

Back