Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the Green Lantern outfit is that it is supposted to be a hard light construct. So it really is a kind of CGI to begin with. So making it 'comic' accurate as a light construct will make it look fake. Its a catch 22 really. If they just went with colored spandex it would look more 'real' but it wouldn't exactly be accurate. Hard to explain really.

Not a huge fan of Reynolds popping up in everything, but I do love Martin Campbell's previous work, so I will be there day one.

And at the end of the day, I'm just happy to see a major DC character that's not Batman or Superman (or an obscure Vertigo brand comic) make it to the big screen.

I'm actually less excited about this movie now that I've seen the trailer. CGI suit isn't entirely convincing. I got a Fantastic Four vibe from it all. And the mannequin playing the female lead doesn't impress me in the slightest.

The scene in the apartment where he shows off the suit to his friend...seems kind of lame.

Yeah, the trailer seemed to reinforce my fears more than anything. . .which is weird. Seeing as how I'm fearful, and the Hal Jordan in this film is also apparently fearful, seems like I should be able to identify with him. But I don't. Oh, well.

The CG characters look a bit toonish. Anyone else think so? Other than that, looks pretty cool & a must-see for me! :)

Just watched it in 1080P.
This has the right tone, the costume is designed right, they didn't shy away from the aliens and space stuff, and despite my reservations, Reynolds makes a pretty good Jordan, but some of the CGI looks absolutely awful. The suit especially looks bad in full daylight. It looked better in space but if they can't make it 100% convincing all the time the movie will suffer.

But Sinestro, Tomar-Re, and Kilowog looked great!
I hope they improve the CGI before the premiere.

Just like the Avengers, they need to set up each hero first. Not everyone knows enough about all of the JL members to just jump right in. So I expect this will be first film to eventually set up a JL.

An Avengers film ultimately is easier to set up than a JL film. The Avengers have had a ton of members where they are interchangable, where they are easy to introduce as side characters because the main three Cap, Iron Man and Thor will take care of themselves. The Avengers film looks more like "We'll toss in everyone we've used already" than an actual Avengers film. The JLA though has always been the big 7. DC spent a lot of time recently reincorporating that and if you take even the kid's cartoon there are still heroes that really need to be introduced and reintroduced before it will play out. Even if you take Bale Batman and Reynolds JL, they are re-introducing Superman, you need Aquaman, The Flash, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, all of which is too difficult to introduce in one film. We are a long time away from a JLA movie.

I have to say Sinestro looks the best out of everything in the trailer. They totally nailed him. Sure he had a mask in the comics when a GL, but other than that, he really looks dead on. Looks like they even gave him his nazi-ish haircut he has been sporting in modern issues. Can't wait for his eventual turn to the yellow side :D

His GL costume is a direct variation of his Sinestro Corps uniform interestingly enough. Check out this Manip:

ff9b0688.jpg

sinestro_manip03.png

Ribbed midsection, arm cuffs, even the collar. Its not going to be a huge leap.

The problem with the Green Lantern outfit is that it is supposted to be a hard light construct. So it really is a kind of CGI to begin with. So making it 'comic' accurate as a light construct will make it look fake. Its a catch 22 really. If they just went with colored spandex it would look more 'real' but it wouldn't exactly be accurate. Hard to explain really.

That's actually a good explanation. The suit is supposed to be second skin, it never was spandex. Hell it rips and tears because the wearer expects it to do so like regular clothes and wills it so. Then it repairs because they will that.

The scene in the apartment where he shows off the suit to his friend...seems kind of lame.

Based on the fact that Tom (the friend in the apartment) was always Hal's goofy sidekick and a lot of their interactions are corny I say it fits perfectly.

The CG characters look a bit toonish. Anyone else think so? Other than that, looks pretty cool & a must-see for me! :)

They will always have that effect. Even Iron Man 2's scenes have that cartoonish vibe to some of them. The writers decided to make the thing shine and glow all over the map so I guarantee while its cleaned up in post to be a bit more realistic they'll be a lot of "cartoony" moments.

BTW look what lucky bastard some how ended up with a prop ring from the movie:

InBrightestDay.jpg

Too comedic looking. The trailer feels like they kept tone and story ideas from the Jack Black development.

Just like every film doesn't need to be "Dark Knight", they don't need to all be "Iron Man" either.

I hoped the Hal Jordan stuff with Ferris would feel more like "The Right Stuff"

Green Lantern movie trailer (The real One)

I don't know if this hase been posted yet, so here ya go.

AFM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/8NWGl_A3b60?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/8NWGl_A3b60?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I thought the CGI was really cartoonish at first, but I watched and re-watched on my TV (as opposed my laptop screen) and the only part I could really complain about (visually) was the "suit-up" scene.

Can't explain it, it just looked really different on my TV than on my laptop. And the CGI will only get better from now until release... :panic::panic::panic:

Re: Green Lantern movie trailer (The real One)

I'd not seen it so thanks.
Looks great to me but I got a fantastic four vibe and I'm not to familiar with the character.

Watched this a few hours ago, I dont know the character either but I really dont like the look of this, Reynolds plays the same guy in every film... :dunno

Most computer monitors are better output devices than TVs. Your TV is hiding the problems you can see easily on your monitor.

I've always liked him as an actor, I get the same person thing with Morgan Freeman , Tommy Lee Jones and Denzel Washington but I still think they're great at what they do. :lol He was brilliant in Buired if you haven't seen that.

THE CGI looks quite bad, hope they are improving on this before the release!

Back