Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently they've made him around the same age as Hal so I don't have a problem with age. Although no one is talking about what part he plays even now...

Interesting movement on the film front.

Angela Bassett joins the cast of Warner Bros.' "Green Lantern" opposite Ryan Reynolds, Peter Sarsgaard and Mark Strong. She will play Dr. Amanda Waller, a scientist who's a staple of the DC Comics series.

Shooting recently started in New Orleans with Donald De Line producing and Martin Campbell directing. Greg Berlanti is also producing and wrote the script with Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green Michael Goldenberg rewrote the script.

Bassett is planning to make her feature directorial debut with "United States," based on the novel "Erasure" by Percival Everett adapted by Dwayne Johnson-Cochran for Bassett Vance Prods. Bassett is also producing with Johnson-Cochran and Courtney B. Vance

Coastal Talent, an agency who represents TV, film, commercial and print talent, has revealed that Gattlin Griffith has landed a role in Martin Campbell's Green Lantern. Here is the message from the agency's Facebook page:

"Congratulations to Gattlin Griffith for booking the role of 'Robert" in the feature film GREEN LANTERN. He’ll be shooting for 12 Days in New Orleans, LA."

Griffith has starred alongside Angelina Jolie in the 2008 movie Changeling. He's also appeared in several episodes of the TV series Supernatural, Monk, Without A Trace and Eleventh Hour.

The odd part about this casting, at least in my eyes, is that the studio has yet to cast Hal Jordan's young self. Only a few weeks ago, we released the story that confirmed actress Jenna Craig being cast as the youngster counterpart to Blake Lively's Carol Ferris.

Could the role of "Robert" be a ruse released by the studio to hide Griffith's true role in the film? If the young actor is expected to be on the set for almost two weeks, his role must be substantial.

SPOILER WARNING

In the original script, Hal Jordan's nephew has a sizable role in the film. Though I can't remember his name, this could be the part awarded to Griffith.

What do you think, could Gattlin Griffith be lined up to portray a young Hal Jordan?

Brazilian actress and model Marcela Duarte sent out the following message via Twitter today:

The studio she's referring to is more than likely Second Line Stages, located at
The studio is located at 800 Richard Street, New Orleans, LA 70130. There's been no word yet as to what role she has in the film.

On a separate note, there's been a lot of speculation regarding actress Blake Lively's portrayal of love interest Carol Ferris in the film; namely, whether she will be changing her hair color from blond to brunette to match the character. In a recent interview with VOGUE magazine, Lively had this to say:

"That's all under discussion," she said with a laugh. "Anything is possible,"just not the pink bodysuit, please!"

The pink bodysuit she is referring to is the infamous (and very revealing) Star Sapphire costume. Does this mean that Lively isn't planning on donning the tights for a future sequel?

One of them was. But this film is about this guy in the middle.

greenlanternrebirth6.jpg

Examiner wrote about it:

Steven Roush, a journalist for Examiner.com, recently posted an article which discussed the impact Green Lantern has had on the Louisiana film industry.

In the following excerpt, he revealed what character Jay O. Sanders has been portraying in the film:

"I was honored to be used as a stand in for Jay O Sanders who is playing the role of Carl Ferris, owner of Ferris Air where Hal, Ryan Reynolds character and Blake Lively’s character, Carol Ferris are test pilots. I was very impressed with the studio but even more impressed with the dedication Ryan Reynolds has put into the character of Hal, aka. The Green Lantern. When I heard I was going to be on the set with Ryan Reynolds I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to watch the out takes we see on television first hand. Sadly their was no such thing, no funny business at all. Too bad for me, but excellent news for D.C. Comic Green Lantern fans. His dedication to the character will be well appreciated by the viewers. Living in Louisiana provides a chance that I will be able to see some out takes in person someday."

Full article: https://www.examiner.com/x-31967-Ba...en-Lantern-being-filmed-at-Second-Line-Stages

Mark Strong will channel his inner David Niven for "GREEN LANTERN"

Quote:
Mark Strong is definitely making a name for himself by causing trouble for heroes of all sorts on movie screens. The British actor was the foil for Robert Downey Jr. in the hit Sherlock Holmes, and will be a thorn in the sides of teenage superheroes and Russell Crowe, respectively, in Kick-Ass (out April 16) and Robin Hood (May 14). But comic book fans are most interested to what he will bring to the supervillain Sinestro in next year’s big-budget Green Lantern movie. Strong, who’s currently filming John Carter of Mars in England, heads to New Orleans in June to join Green Lantern star Ryan Reynolds, who will be playing flyboy-turned-space cop Hal Jordan. When I talked with him recently for an upcoming Who’s News item, Strong told me that he can’t speak too much about the role, but “for anybody who’s familiar with the Green Lantern and the origin story, the film closely follows the early comics. Sinestro starts out as Hal Jordan’s mentor, slightly suspicious and not sure of him because obviously Hal is the first human being who’s made into a Green Lantern. He’s certainly very strict and certainly unsure of the wisdom of Hal becoming a Green Lantern,” Strong says. “He is a military guy but isn’t immediately bad. It’s the kind of person he is that lends himself to becoming bad over the course of the comics being written, but initially he’s quite a heroic figure.” Sinestro first appeared in DC Comics’ Green Lantern series in 1961, and Strong says that the outfit and other aspects of the character very closely follow the character’s early days. “That widow’s peak and thin mustache was for some reason originally based on David Niven, and Hal Jordan was based on Errol Flynn,” says Strong, who recently got fitted for special Sinestro contact lenses. “In the ‘30s and ‘40s, they shared an apartment together in Hollywood when they were making movies and they were great friends. Obviously at the time, whoever was doing the original comics must have looked at them as guys doing very well in the film industry, and based those characters on them. So I would like to do justice to the Sinestro that was conceived for the comic books.”

He got the Errol Flynn to Hal wrong since Hal was based on Paul Newman but the David Niven reference is a great one especially for those who were scared of them getting too radical with the look like the mullet and van dyke.

David_Niven.jpg

Mark Strong talks more Sinestro

Quote:
Cinematical: I don't know if you saw it, but Warner Premiere released an animated Green Lantern film last year, but it felt more like Sinestro's origin story than Hal Jordan's. Whether it's in Green Lantern or other films you've done, what responsibility to do you take to bring a villain to life and yet not overpower the hero, be it your fellow actor or just the characterizations of yourself and him or her?

Strong: That is just standard good actor process, I think, knowing at what level he exists. I cite Leonardo DiCaprio in Body of Lies who did that with me, because his character had to be subordinate to my character, and obviously he's a massive star, and maybe you knew who I was. But in the scenes we played together, he gave me the power, and that to me is the sign of a consummate actor, and I see that as my job; I never go into a film thinking 'what can I get out of this? How can I get people interested in looking at me?' What I'm there to do is serve the story.

And with Sinestro, yeah, he is a fascinating character. I love the fact that there is all of this source material. But really you have to just concentrate on what is in this particular film, and he is very well-drawn in this film and I know exactly what I want to do with him. I think they have an intention to make more than one, which is amazing because then you get to follow the trajectory that Sinestro has through the comics, and that I would really look forward to as well. But in the first one, he is a very powerful presence, and I think his whole thing, Sinestro, is that he's very confident and very convinced in his own rightness and so kind of almost militaristic in his precision about how things should be that he has this single-minded way of the way the world should be, and that's what I need to bring to the film.

Cinematical: How soon are you starting to shoot?

Strong: It started today [March 16]. I mean, I'm in London, but they started today. I'm still working on John Carter of Mars, which I finish off in May, and then I go out to New Orleans in June.

Also here is Abin Sur's ship!!

10021l.jpg

Green Lantern's Suit Will Be CG!

Source: /Film April 11, 2010

Director Martin Campbell has been filming Green Lantern down in New Orleans for over a month now, and there was bound to be some leaked information from the set. The latest is from /Film, who have discovered that Ryan Reynolds has spent his time on set wearing a grey motion/performance capture suit, the reason being that the Green Lantern suit in the movie will be created using computers.

Before you get all up in arms, we should remember that the production is in the very early stages, and some of this could be done for digital duplication of the actor, which is done a lot in superhero movies, like in Spider-Man - in fact, some of the FX are being done by Sony Pictures Imageworks who did that CG
although special FX supervisor Clay Pinney's only superhero work was Ivan Reitman's My Super Ex-Girlfriend (But he also performed the same function on The Matrix Reloaded--remember all those really lifelike Agent Smith clones?)

But /Film picked up on more than a few clues as to the reason why the suit might be added via CG later which all sound perfectly legit. The following are the three we find the most intriguing:

Ngila (Dickson, costume designer) was tasked with trying to find a way to do something that stands apart from all of the other superheroes spandex suit designs we've seen in the past.

The Green Lantern suit is something that should look alien — it needs to seem other worldly. It encompasses any creature that wears the ring, and Hal Jordan is the first human to ever wear the suit. This was a chance for Dickson to do something different. You also have to consider that Hal changes into the suit multiple times in mid scene, and the cg also allows him to do this.

I've heard that when the cg is complete, the suit will look like a manifestation of his power.

That last bit is the one that really drives the nail home because Green Lantern's costume is in fact created by the ring; it's not something he takes out of the closet and puts on. Clearly Martin Campbell and his team want to make sure that Reynolds isn't just wearing the same spandex or leather costume we've seen in so many superhero movies and using CG to create and/or enhance would go a long way to make Green Lantern look really cool and unique from other comic book characters.

With that in mind, let us know what you think about this latest development.

No suit?

That’s right. No suit. When I was first told this info, I didn’t believe it. I actually didn’t even consider it as a real possibility. But the information I’m about to reveal has since been backed up by two other independent sources. I stand by this information 150% — this is legit. I risk my reputation on it. Ready for it? Okay…

The suit that Ryan wears on set is a grey tracking motion/performance capture suit with led lights. I’ve heard that Ryan Reynolds has been joking on set that Warner Bros is going to make him into a Na’vi when the final cut is released. His joke, not mine. The Green Lantern suit you will see in the final film will be almost entirely created using computers.

My source within Warner Bros assures me that the suit will look cool. Don’t let the words “Computer generated” scare you.

I’ve heard that when the cg is complete, the suit will look like a manifestation of his power. And while I couldn’t confirm this, I’ve heard that DC’s Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns has seen the designs and given them his blessing.

Here is some other information I’ve learned about the production:

* That leaked set photo of the silver ship is indeed Abin Sur’s crashed spaceship
* Temura Morrison looks legit as Abin Sur, although his head isn’t as elongated as in the concept art photos leaked awhile back.
* Peter Sarsgaard’s makeup tests with the enlarged head look cool. He has wild hair, kind of like Jason Lee in “My Name is Earl” and, of course, the kind of traditional Hector Hammond stache.
* I’m told that Reynolds is awesome in the role. He’s knocking it out of the park so far.
* The screenplay that leaked online is a very old draft. I’ve been told that the villains have changed a bit and that the rewritten script is supposedly way better in the end.

Read more: Exclusive: Green Lantern’s Suit Will Be CG | /Film https://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/11/...#ixzz0kslsYcSX

Now...before anyone ____s a brick, Ryan Reynolds has already confirmed a prototype of the suit, so we are probably looking at an Iron Man situation where there is the majority of the suit but a lot of it will be CGI...

Even if I'm the only one reading.

DC's Geoff Johns on His Green Lantern Set Visits
Source: Comic Book Resources April 16, 2010

DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns answered fans' questions at Comic Book Resources and he was first asked about a possible DC movie slate announcement:

I can't get into the exact DC slate right now, but we're all working heavily on what that is with Warner Bros. and there will be news forthcoming. But, you can bet there is going to be a lot more than there is right now.

While he didn't reveal much there, Johns did talk more about his visits to the Green Lantern set in New Orleans:

The movie looks fantastic. I'm heading back down to New Orleans in a few weeks, but I just watched the Abin Sur/Hal Jordan dailies, and it's amazing seeing that ring passed to Hal in live action. Abin Sur looks kick-ass.

They did such a great job. They've got Grant [Major] as a production designer. He's from "Lord of the Rings," and the visuals on this film are nothing like you could imagine. It's definitely a Green Lantern fan's dream. For me, it's kind of insane to see this stuff come to life.

And Ryan Reynolds is a perfect Hal Jordan. He brings a lot of humor to it, but he also has the humanity that Hal has. And a little bit of the arrogance, so it's a great match.

We probably won't see the uniform until SDCC. Funny, my first thought was "well HT might have problems reproducing an all CG outfit". But Iron Man was like that for the most part, I guess.

You're probably right Dave, I could see them showing off the official logo or civilian looks for Hal or Carol but I think they'll wait and panel everything at SDCC. This year's SDCC should be chock full, between this, Captain America, Thor and Avengers news they want to push forward, Spider-Man reboot news and/or panels.....it'll be a tough one to get through all of them.

No one knows yet if Lively has dyed her hair. Her child counterpart is blonde as well but that doesn't mean anything....

It will bug me a whole lot. Not having Carol be brunette is like having MJ not be a redhead. Is it a dealbreaker no, especially since Lively seems to be balking a bit at being Star Sapphire or at least in its comic incarnation regarding costuming so it might be that Carol Ferris and her eventual Star Sapphire persona will be completely revamped for the big screen but it will disappoint me especially since they have been so focused on getting the little things right with everyone else. Although we all have to remember that hair is easily changed, Alba, Dunst, Howard, Scarlett have all done it for their roles I don't think that Blake will feel she is above it.

I pretty sure Geoff Johns said at one of the recent con panels that Carol will be brunette in the film.

Check out this fan manip:

starsapphire_med.jpg

Here is Martin Jordan's jet:

11115l.jpg

and Ferris Aircraft:

11104l.jpg

More concept art:
11066L.jpg

11063L.jpg

11067L.jpg

11062L.jpg

Back