FX series "Legion"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^the same people that loves the dance scene scorns the Spiderman 3 dance scene. Can't be that biased. Any dance scene is pure stupid in a superhero movie.

Any dance scene is pure stupid in a superhero movie.

No, and the notion that scenes like that are stupid comes from a narrow ideology of what the genre should be.

This is why formula is so mass-liked, because alotta people can't handle these films or shows being artistically driven.

The same audience who loved Ant-Man falls asleep during There Will Be Blood.

I'm just glad we have alternatives to said formula now with Legion, a show essentially designed to challenge the by-the-numbers approach to CBMs that shows like AOS & Arrow exemplify.

Then why don't you explain why exactly this is the way it should be?

Why is a Bollywood dance number or silent film cue cards examples of what the comic book movie industry has been missing this whole time?
Maybe they are just weird for the sake of being weird.

Maybe things are so formulaic because they found a formula that works. (Granted I wont defend AOS or Arrow since AOS was a problematic show from the beginning and Arrow has really gone off the rails in the past 3 years)

Maybe things are so formulaic because they found a formula that works.

Formula by definition represents creative death. Like CSI, NCIS, The Big Bang Theory....when a show is on a cruise control nothing good can come from it. With film genres it's the same thing. If you have nothing new to bring to the table you're better off not bringing anything.

That's what killed the Western. Mangold did a great job using that as a metaphor for the CBM in Logan. We're 17 years in since Singer opened the door to the contemporary CBM via X-Men. Now is the time to be bold and take risks if this genre is to survive.

Formula by definition represents creative death. Like CSI, NCIS, The Big Bang Theory....when a show is on a cruise control nothing good can come from it. With film genres it's the same thing. If you have nothing new to bring to the table you're better off not bringing anything.

That's what killed the Western. Mangold did a great job using that as a metaphor for the CBM in Logan. We're 17 years in since Singer opened the door to the contemporary CBM via X-Men. Now is the time to be bold and take risks if this genre is to survive.

I can agree with the first part of this, however that doesn't mean that anything that is different is automatically an improvement. Trying to improve on a formula involves some experimentation, and the very nature of that involves making a ton of mistakes until you find something that actually works.

And at least to me, that's all this series is doing. Different for the sake of being different. Directors and writers throwing in anything they might think is fun to do, without actually any justification for why that element deserves to be there. Especially when a lot of these elements are just ripped off from previous directors and aren't really going to contribute to the evolution of the genre.

Unless you really think Bollywood Dance numbers, silent movies, and a bizarre 70s vibe is what superhero movies have been missing this whole time.

episode 1.That tank reminded me of one of the sensory depravation tanks we used at Berkeley.Jean Smart seriously looked stoned in this episode.So much happens in one episode in this series it's impossible to get into it all.Good beginning.Oh yeah' the mustache girls are a hoot.

These first two episodes have draggeddddddddd on. Seems like it's going for crazy psychedelic visuals with no substance.

I'm surprised to see this thread so far back. It seems like not a lot of people are feeling this second season. I am a little off by it, but I love Stevens and Keller, so I'll stick with it. Hopefully it picks up and to expect something solid for a S3.

Yep' I have been watching it.I think the storyline is kinda complicated to talk about since there is so much going on not only in the heads of characters but in the alt universe/s.This last episode.. the lives of David were quite interesting.

Seems things are going crazy with FX shows. If anyone has seen Atlanta with Donald Glover, season one was straightforward; but this season has been all kinds of loopy just like season two of Legion.

Back