Fed Ex and VAT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it if someone is not willing to buy exclusives direct from Sideshoe due to increased VAT costs they will not pay even more inflated prices by buying from ebay

I agree with you but you'd be amazed how many people will pay through the nose on eBay for Exclusives. Once Sideshow sell out of the EX pieces some people buy the first one they can find on eBay just so they've got one. I don't see the the point myself but it does happen.

Well, if I remember correctly, SSC never used the "Original Collectors sculpture" code for PF's and other polystone figures shipped to Belgium. We always had to pay 21% for those. For everything, in fact. That's why I drastically decreased my orders from SSC since they closed the EU warehouse. I found a lot of things cheaper elsewhere. You just can't get exclusives else where.

That's not true. Is have my 7 sideshows ordered from SS self and al have the original collectors sculpture code, checked yesterday. (and I'm from Belgium). Never payed more than 25 euros to fedex on 6 pf's and 1 comiquette, last one is from April. I contacted sideshow about this and they said they would contact my in two business days (so tomorrow). Even if it's now 20% than i will pay the same amount if a purchase from SS or from the local shop (low dollar). So I'll continue buying from SS for the Excl versions.

Well, I've got the Gimli statue Ex on pre-order with SS. With current exchange rates, shipping and a guestimate of around £66 VAT, the total paid still comes in £1 less than play want for a reg. So, I guess there is still value in buying direct, it was just a shock to see such a hike in the VAT bill.

Now we are aware of it, then I guess we can just be prepared and better budget for it.

I,ve been ordering direct from sideshow for the last 18 months and only been getting charged around £24 tax here in the UK on a premium format valued $299 or slightly more..

But since the Tax went up on the 4th Jan this year my last 2 PF,s ive been hit with £60 gbp each :horror

I ONLY USE SIDESHOW FOR Exclusive,s but prices like this IT SUCK,S :mad:

i cant help but wander if fedex actually get charged import/tax every single time?i mean we all get away with customs now and again,but whats to stop fedex charging anyway?a retailer in the uk who sells hot toys now and again doesnt get charged for pallet loads all the time so i thought it best to check with uk customs to make sure this item was charged?if not then i will contest it,you never know?just a thought really:)

I,ve been ordering direct from sideshow for the last 18 months and only been getting charged around £24 tax here in the UK on a premium format valued $299 or slightly more..

But since the Tax went up on the 4th Jan this year my last 2 PF,s ive been hit with £60 gbp each :horror

I ONLY USE SIDESHOW FOR Exclusive,s but prices like this IT SUCK,S :mad:

WTH dude that 1/3 of the original price.

g600616996.gif

That's not true. Is have my 7 sideshows ordered from SS self and al have the original collectors sculpture code, checked yesterday. (and I'm from Belgium). Never payed more than 25 euros to fedex on 6 pf's and 1 comiquette, last one is from April. I contacted sideshow about this and they said they would contact my in two business days (so tomorrow). Even if it's now 20% than i will pay the same amount if a purchase from SS or from the local shop (low dollar). So I'll continue buying from SS for the Excl versions.
Like I said, 'if I remember correctly'. I checked, and you're right! But of the last two polystone figures I ordered straight from SSC, only one had the "original collectors sculpture code", that got me confused. I knew there was something, but I didn't remember what it was.
Anyway, more into 12" figures now, and those are 21% for sure.
Sorry to hear that it's getting more expensive again for PFs and the like.

Last edited:
Fedex are thieves .they charged me 140 euros for spiderman exclusive comiquette and then they asked another 80 euros in order to transit him to my residence .but here is Greece !the kingdom of thieves.

Just cancelled all my SS pre orders,i know its out of there hands but its daylight robbery,i can do without exclusives....really

I'll buy locally from now on,checkout the dealers section,member MicroDragon has a new online store just opened in the UK

So why you don't buy it in EU?

Because I wanted the exclusive.I am thinking of finding one person in other country to order the exclusives for me and then ship them to me.I am sure vat will be Lower.

I blame Sideshow :exactly:

Sideshow was aware of the changes and never thought of informing customers from overseas. They took our deposits for pre-orders with out a mention.

That's what has really pi**ed me off :gah:

I was gonna save up for the Neytiri maquette, the starue will be mid-£900 + delivery, so i tried to work out the Fed ex charge and it would be over £200

Which is fecking crazy, is there a limit to how much the import duties are on items price? like if the item is over a certain cost it doesnt apply or is discounted.

I'm gonna ring fedex tomorrow to find something out. It states that one has to pay Custom duty if the item value is over £135, however i want to know if fed ex counts the shipping as the "value" because the value should be the price of the item and not what it costs to ship the item, a number of my hot toys are under the £135 mark and i think i may have been charged the duty because they count the shipping as part of the items value.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the shipping is part of the value. That's how it is on my FedEx papers anyway: tax on total invoice, which is item plus shipping. I mainly collect 12" figures, but I don't think there will be a difference.
Anyway, keep us posted!

Received my Marcus Wright statue EX today and the traffic head SS use is 9503009990, means I will get 20% custom fee +£10 fedex handling fee. What are you doing, sideshow?

Hey guys, I emailed SS about this, and here is their reply. As you can see, it's not really their fault, more the greedy government:

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Sideshow Collectibles.

I apologize for any confusion regarding the recent changes of the harmonized codes that we have used. Unfortunately we have recently been informed from various customs agents that the previous code that we were classifying our items with would no longer be acceptable. In order to comply with these requirements we have updated the harmonized code that we put on all our customs paper work. These new codes will be used on all future outgoing orders.

We know that with the recent state of the world’s economy personal finances are more important then ever. As such Sideshow Collectibles makes every effort to save our customers money where we can. For all our international customers, we have been offering a discounted shipping rate for all outgoing orders. This discount is based off the shipping dimensions and the cost of the item. In most cases this discount is 40-50% of the actual shipping cost which we are happy to pay as a token of our appreciation for your business and loyalty. As an example of the discounts that we offer, the shipping costs to the UK to send a Neytiri Statue, item 300031, cost $70.31. As a courtesy Sideshow only charges $28.74 to the customer, and we cover the rest of the shipping cost in an effort to help with the inevitable charged duties and taxes. We also include a $25 gift code into your promotional wallet as well as offer Reward Points for every item purchased through us

We find that with these added benefits as well as our 30 return policy help make up for the increased taxes that are being enforced by your government. We of course appreciate your loyalty and your past patronage. We hope to continue to offer you all the assistance you need in the future.

I thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best Regards,

Michael Tolentino
Customer Service Manager

As an example of the discounts that we offer, the shipping costs to the UK to send a Neytiri Statue, item 300031, cost $70.31. As a courtesy Sideshow only charges $28.74 to the customer, and we cover the rest of the shipping cost in an effort to help with the inevitable charged duties and taxes.

Interesting - I paid $54 to get Neytiri sent to Copenhagen, Denmark - is it really that big a difference between shipping from the US to England / Denmark .........................

Yes, $28 shipping for a statue is not a bad deal, considering that a Hot Toys 12" figures costs around $30 or $33 for shipping. I can live with SSC's policy, provided they see to it that the burdens - 'benefits' wouldn't be the right word I think - are equally spread over all collector types.

I for one will still buy from ss I'll just calculate 20% extra instead of 5% which by what I've read is what we should have been paying all along it would say it's the uk customs fault but its still cheaper than fp.com or play.com and quicker

On the shipping side for a ss statue I was quoted $140 usps 6-10 days shipping when SS charge $35 fed ex 3 days I say that's a good deal

Back