Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm glad you really enjoyed it, I'd hate to hear what you think about movies you really disliked. ;)

I don't think they are over-intellectualizing, some of these concepts (Relativity, Time as a physical dimension instead of something linear) are difficult for many people to grasp. The poetry, while it didnt need to be repeated over and over, was appropriate in the context of the film. The wormhole/paper explanation gets used again because, I think, it is the simplest and most easily conveyed explanation of travelling through a wormhole for those that are not scientifically minded.

Obviously we all know that if a rocket blasted off from that location in the facility, unless they are using some technology I am unaware of, that everyone around it, and in that boardroom would be toast. That is one of those moments that science is discarded for dramatic effect. Sure they could have gotten in a vehicle and driven ten minutes to get to the rocket launch facility, but that would have disrupted the flow. That is one of those moments that is very unrealistic, but I think is easily overlooked, as it really doesnt matter a whole lot in the overall picture. It's sort of like complaining about what books were on his daughters bookshelf.

It's not. And I can maintain objectivity whilst still enjoying something for other reasons. Nolan sets up and sells his movies as higher level entertainment, intellectual films. And when the story is actually as dumb as **** and people react accordingly, there seems to be genuine surprise. As I mentioned previously, I think he is a good director, but his brother is a ponderous bad writer, full of intellectualised ideas, low on narrative continuity or cinematic sense.

Would I rather see a flawed Nolan movie than another typical hollywood sequel? Absolutely, that doesn't mean his movies are perfect though. Interstellar is a fantastic mess of a movie, with some great scenes and some great performances.

What about Mad Damon. That was hella predictable :lol

:lol Mad Damon. This was cinematically one of the dumbest things in the movie. Why would you want to pull your audience out of the story to feature an unexpected megastar? I like Damon, but when he popped out of the bag, everyone in the cinema went.. "That's Matt Damon". For a director who prides himself on cinematic purity (Film/Imax/No 3D) audience experience it was a crazy thing to do.

And it was totally predictable at that point that the script was going to twist his character, why else cast Damon.

Silly stuff.

The docking sequence though was one of the best things I've seen in ages, better than the entire Gravity movie.

The wide shot of them rolling around in the ice is hilarious

Yeah, beatch slapping on a glacier. There were laughs and cheers in the auditorium.

Last edited:
The wide shot of them rolling around in the ice is hilarious

Damn that scene was weird.
Long and completely chaotic.
Felt like Nolan was going for a Kubrick explosion of violence moment but it fell so flat lol.
Embarrassing.
Pure filler.

The guy welcoming Cooper on the station was colored not a black guy true but the next best thing, he's the guy from Scorpion tv show. Even great Nolan falls to the famous trope, future the black guy bites the dust uselessly, he was also stupid enough to wait 23years instead of patiently waiting inside the hibernation pod.
And there is a timer in those things... Just more nonsense...
Prometheus stupid crew has fans.
Morons innnnn spaaaaaaccceeeeeee the sequel.

Docking was badass.
It was weird tho because it's not the kind of scene I expected.
It felt like a maverick moment. No man can do this but Coop is the best of the best!
But yeah with the music, realistic effects and cinematography and all it was pure cool.
Funny how almost all of the camera angles in space are locked on hull shots, no much money shots.
Kinda cool to have this naturalistic approach to scifi.

After reading the original script, wich is a way much better film, I have high hopes for Jonathan Nolan penned asimovs Fondation.

Last edited:
asimov-ish, but really....

this movie is just a glorified twilight zone episode. you can pretty much cut it down to an hour or less and make it less boring and dragging.

asimov-ish, but really....

this movie is just a glorified twilight zone episode. you can pretty much cut it down to an hour or less and make it less boring and dragging.

I heard someone else comparing it to a Twilight Zone episode on the way out of the Imax theatre. :lol

Yeah, the wide shot of the ice planet fight was funny but I liked Damon's character regardless. In fact I liked all the characters in the film especially when it came to Cooper's relationship with his daughter and how all that played out.

The most jarring thing in the movie to me was the space bookcase. :lol But I enjoyed how they tied it in with Murph's "ghost" in the beginning.

I thought it was brilliant on the first viewing

george-lucas-2.jpg

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't know if the movie makes these things clear or if these are the "plot holes" people are bringing up. I've only seen it once and am in no rush to see it again. I enjoyed it but it didn't impact me the way Inception, Memento, Prestige, or the Dark Knight films did. Those demanded repeat viewings immediately after upon seeing them.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Many things are left for the viewer interpretation, they don't need to explain eeeeeeverything. I'm ok with that.

Can't imagine what would happen if "2001" was released nowadays... :panic:

Many things are left for the viewer interpretation, they don't need to explain eeeeeeverything.
Actually when your plot is as complicated you need to explain stuff that raises legitimate questions.

Can't imagine what would happen if "2001" was released nowadays...
Something that unique and simplistic in its profoundness wouldn't make it to mainstream.

I think that at this point, spoiler tags are really redundant. Thank you for using them though, but I'm sure that people that come over have seen the film already.

It's also been out for two weeks now? Lol,

Back