Premium Format Black Orc of Mordor Premium Format. Link to Buy in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I always say, it never hurts to ask. Mike was very prompt in looking at my suggestion and getting back to me, which was very much appreciated. If it doesn't happen for this one, it's still something they might consider down the road so it's still a plus.

Very true gfdilk, I agree, it never hurts to ask...and if you don't ask very often you don't get :wink1:

Shame it won't happen for this one...but as you say 'it's still something they might consider down the road' on pieces in the future. And it's worth the ask for that alone.

:duff
Bill

This Hide Helmet may work quite nice, with a little mod.

blackOrcOfMordorPF_01_withHelm.jpg

Before:

blackOrcOfMordorPF_01_withoutHelm.jpg

That's if the ear and eye holes are in the right places in real life and not just in the world of Photoshop :pray:.

:duff
Bill

A helmet would have been nice but its not going to happen now. Maybe on the next one.

Looking at those photos...if this guy had a helmet it would have been an easy buy for me, but no helmet no buy. Maybe somewhere down the line.

Hey all....well, as usual I pop in every great once in awhile to comment on a great piece. This will be no exception....

I ordered this one and actually like the non-helmet decision!

The one photoshopped in was more of a Rohan area Worg rider helm. For me, that wouldn't work. Also, the two portraits are significantly different and both well done.

The deformed one (non-ex) looks more like one of the "lackey" followers and the EX one looks like one of the more "directed", "focused" leaders. I guess if they had just made the EX portrait I would have been ok but I wouldn't want to have been stuck with the lackey face :)

I would be amazed if anyone that has the Moria Orc PF displays the helmet portrait. That face, the rage....completely captures Moria.

I also LOVE the decision to make the upper body armor sculpted. The one thing that always throws off the PFs to me is the inability to make fabric hang off of a 17" form the way the human eye knows it should hang on a 6' form.

This will allow the piece to look very accurate and still have the WOW factor of mixed media. I can not wait for this one!

PS- Heya to all the old schoolers (Fritz, MBF, Choopie, AK, Mordor)!!!

EDIT: one more quick thought....on the idea of him being a generic Orc. For me, there was no single bad guy in the quest of the Fellowship that was any more ominous or more frightening than the rest. They were all part of an evil entity that was seeking to end the world of men.

The enormity of the quest was that there was an ever-present darkness that filled the land. It was everywhere....there seemed no way around it. Every time you found yourself exhaling in relief, something else was waiting to be dealt with.

So for me, this piece is an example of the that relentless pursuit at the heels of the ring. The evil that never seemed to sleep. That nameless, faceless army that lived to return the ring to Sauron.....not any one scene, but the entire quest.

I really like it!

Last edited:
Hey all....well, as usual I pop in every great once in awhile to comment on a great piece. This will be no exception....

Hi C1eaN :wave

I ordered this one and actually like the non-helmet decision!

I would have been more than happy for the ex head to have a helmet and the reg to be the ex open mouth head.

The one photoshopped in was more of a Rohan area Worg rider helm. For me, that wouldn't work. Also, the two portraits are significantly different and both well done.

Yes you are right, I just made that up as an option, based on a helm that I though would need the least amount on modification. I chose the Hide Helmet for that reason. It's quite a nice match to the piece I thought too.

As the Orcs made their armor and helms out of anything they could lay there hands on, I though it may be quiet possible for an orc to come across a hide helm on the battle field at some point in its life.

The deformed one (non-ex) looks more like one of the "lackey" followers and the EX one looks like one of the more "directed", "focused" leaders. I guess if they had just made the EX portrait I would have been ok but I wouldn't want to have been stuck with the lackey face

I would be amazed if anyone that has the Moria Orc PF displays the helmet portrait.

That face, the rage....completely captures Moria.

I do! I swap them out from time to time. But that's just me. :wink1:

I also LOVE the decision to make the upper body armor sculpted. The one thing that always throws off the PFs to me is the inability to make fabric hang off of a 17" form the way the human eye knows it should hang on a 6' form.

This will allow the piece to look very accurate and still have the WOW factor of mixed media. I can not wait for this one!

PS- Heya to all the old schoolers (Fritz, MBF, Choopie, AK, Mordor)!!!

EDIT: one more quick thought....on the idea of him being a generic Orc. For me, there was no single bad guy in the quest of the Fellowship that was any more ominous or more frightening than the rest. They were all part of an evil entity that was seeking to end the world of men.

The enormity of the quest was that there was an ever-present darkness that filled the land. It was everywhere....there seemed no way around it. Every time you found yourself exhaling in relief, something else was waiting to be dealt with.

So for me, this piece is an example of the that relentless pursuit at the heels of the ring. The evil that never seemed to sleep. That nameless, faceless army that lived to return the ring to Sauron.....not any one scene, but the entire quest.

Well said. :clap

I really like it!

Me too!

:dufff
Bill

I'm a big LOTR fan and buy almost all of the PF's, but passed on this one. I think an alternative helmeted version would have sold it for me, but it's too generic looking and not as iconic as the other baddies put out so far. Like the photoshopped version. I think there has to be helmeted versions of the baddies, they just look ugly without the helmet.

I think there has to be helmeted versions of the baddies, they just look ugly without the helmet.

Except for Lurtz, of course. He didn't need a helmet to look badass.

This new PF reminds me a bit of the Orcs who wanted to eat Merry and Pippin. "What about their legs? They don't need those." They didn't wear helmets, either, so it really doesn't bother me. I'm actually looking forward to this guy.

Last edited:
I have been limiting my purchases of LOTR Premium Format to Orcs; I'm definately buying the regular edition of this. The exclusive version is not different enough to justify the extra cost.

I have been limiting my purchases of LOTR Premium Format to Orcs; I'm definately buying the regular edition of this. The exclusive version is not different enough to justify the extra cost.

What extra cost ? They are both $299 and it's not only the head that's an exclusive, it's also a different right hand.

What extra cost ? They are both $299 and it's not only the head that's an exclusive, it's also a different right hand.

I think he's probably referring to the 10-15% discount he can get by purchasing the reg. edition from a LCS or online retailer as opposed to the $299 cost of buying the reg. or excl. version directly through SS. :lecture

Yep along with other PFs...when there the same price why would you not want the EX. At the same price it doesnt make sense to just buy the regular. At least with the EX you at least have the option to display it however you want.

I think he's probably referring to the 10-15% discount he can get by purchasing the reg. edition from a LCS or online retailer as opposed to the $299 cost of buying the reg. or excl. version directly through SS. :lecture
Ah, yes. Woodsy the wise. :lecture
Yep along with other PFs...when there the same price why would you not want the EX. At the same price it doesnt make sense to just buy the regular. At least with the EX you at least have the option to display it however you want.
I agree completely. Not only that, but EXes mostly keep their value far better.

Re: Mordor Orc PF

I kind of feel bad for saying this, because it's usually thrown around in the Star Wars PF threads - but why a background character over someone more recognizable?

Seriously, if SSC supposedly wants to breathe new life into the PF line, then how about a Boromir? Or if they want to do another bad guy, maybe Gothmog or Grishnakh. Going with a generic is something more suited to the Star Wars PF line that will go on forever and can pace itself well given it's huge fanbase. I feel like SSC LOTR stuff is almost on "death's door". Why chance it with something like this?

Sorry, I just get the impression SSC doesn't listen as well anymore.

:exactly: :yess: We have a winner

Back