Premium Format Black Orc of Mordor Premium Format. Link to Buy in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a suggestion, do what I did - watch ROTK (EE) and, whenever there's a scene with Mordor orcs, pause, zoom, etc. Then go to the Appendices (disc 3), go to the Design Galleries, to "The Enemy" then to "Orcs". There are a lot of the orcs they created.

Every single one is different. It's like snowflakes; no two are alike.

I found 3 scenes that had orcs that reminded me of this statue. In addition, there are 2 pics in the Design Galleries that bear strong resemblances to it ("Orcs" pg 9, pic #4 & pg 15/16, pic #2). I know that in one of those, you actually see the metal "skirt" that the Black Mordor Orc wears.

SS wanted to give us a representation of a Mordor orc and not a specific character (Gothmog, Skully, etc.). I think it was definately the way to to (though I definately want to see those characters done as maquettes!).

I don't like it at all. How can they go from the awsomeness of the Morgul Lord PF to this. Maybe in hand will look better, but it's not impressive in the stock photos. Is it just me or does Show seem like hit or miss nowadays? I remember when every product was of the utmost quality, maybe they are taking on too much.

So you're basing the apparent lack of quality on what exactly? :confused:

W&H said it's based on stock photos but is open to the possibility of in-hand pics representing the statue better. What's wrong with that?

W&H said it's based on stock photos but is open to the possibility of in-hand pics representing the statue better. What's wrong with that?

He may or may not like the statue based on the photo's and that is certainly his right. But he also made reference to the quality of the piece and it is simply not possible to determine the quality of an item based on photo's. Now if he wants to expand on his statement, I'd love to hear what he has to say. Because as it stands, his comments are all over the map.

As a suggestion, do what I did - watch ROTK (EE) and, whenever there's a scene with Mordor orcs, pause, zoom, etc. Then go to the Appendices (disc 3), go to the Design Galleries, to "The Enemy" then to "Orcs". There are a lot of the orcs they created.

Every single one is different. It's like snowflakes; no two are alike.

I found 3 scenes that had orcs that reminded me of this statue. In addition, there are 2 pics in the Design Galleries that bear strong resemblances to it ("Orcs" pg 9, pic #4 & pg 15/16, pic #2). I know that in one of those, you actually see the metal "skirt" that the Black Mordor Orc wears.

SS wanted to give us a representation of a Mordor orc and not a specific character (Gothmog, Skully, etc.). I think it was definately the way to to (though I definately want to see those characters done as maquettes!).

Excellent find Valarauko! :clap I'm definitely going to check this out. :lecture

And yes, in the 2010 SDCC LOTR video from about the 3:20 mark 'til the end of the video SS's Creative Director, Tom Gilliland, describes the concept and idea behind the the creation of the Mordor Orc.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/videos.php?videoID=735&key=license&val=The Lord of the Rings

Ok, just to clarify what's happening here. My original post had to do with a number of things. Firstly, the stock photos never look as good as the finished product, in most cases. Secondly, the Morgul Lord PF, which was the most recent shipped LOTR product, was an impressive and well made piece. So, when I see something from the same line that isn't as impressive, then it seems inconsistent. Lastly, as of late, (and I know that I'm not the only one noticing) Show has been having way too many QA problems with the final stages of the product. For instance: paint flaws, breakage, dings, etc. I have been ordering from them for many years, and before they got really big, there were NO flaws with any of the final product shipping out to the customer. Now, I just wrote a lot more then I would ever like. This is why I keep most of my posts short and to the (my)point. For future reference to anyone reading posts, they don't have to make sense to you, as your posts prob. don't make sense to everyone else either. Thus the point of everyone having their own thought process and brain. Thank you.

...I have been ordering from them for many years, and before they got really big, there were NO flaws with any of the final product shipping out to the customer...

I wouldn't say there were no flaws but there certainly 'seemed' to be less. Plus I think collectors were more tolerant back then.

You know what, strike that last comment. My memories coming back. There was a lot of _____ing and complaining 6,7,8 years ago as well. :lol

I think things were a bit more balanced then. A much more mature crowed back then thats what made things different.

I think things were a bit more balanced then. A much more mature crowed back then thats what made things different.

I think the expansion of product lines and the increase in price naturally makes people more critical.They can afford to be. What's odd is that these are supposed to be collectibles, they advertise them as such don't they? By constantly improving and re-releasing characters they are of course acting as good business people but they are also diminishing the value of their self declared collectibles. I mean SSW price declines are approaching metro Detroit housing values for some pieces. I suppose there is no law that collectibles retain value is there?

So can anyone imagine a scene in 5 - 10 years where the new aragorn maquette is trumped? Could anyone imagine the new maquette five years ago? Aragorn and the Orc of Mordor PF dropping in the same week has made me finally put all my eggs in the maquette basket.

Of course the prices and such play a part in how things changed. It is a different place though and a much less mature place than it was when I firist joined. Collectibles and them being sold as such just mean that they're collectible based on that piece and its ES not if we see different remakes of that character is just part of the hobby. No company owes us that these must retain some kind of secondary price after we get it.

I'm sure eventually something will come out better. No, I guess I didn't thin of it back then that things would get even better the way they have but its fun watching it change.

I think the expansion of product lines and the increase in price naturally makes people more critical.They can afford to be. What's odd is that these are supposed to be collectibles, they advertise them as such don't they? By constantly improving and re-releasing characters they are of course acting as good business people but they are also diminishing the value of their self declared collectibles. I mean SSW price declines are approaching metro Detroit housing values for some pieces. I suppose there is no law that collectibles retain value is there?
So can anyone imagine a scene in 5 - 10 years where the new aragorn maquette is trumped? Could anyone imagine the new maquette five years ago? Aragorn and the Orc of Mordor PF dropping in the same week has made me finally put all my eggs in the maquette basket.

No, there is no law, nor are there any guarantee's anything we buy will hold or increase their value. There will always be a demand for some of the better quality SSW pieces as quality art will always hold it's value. The biggest problem with that line, esp. during the last few years were the extremely high ES's. That oversaturation has absolutely killed the value of so many statues of that line, and as long as SS's keeps the ES's reasonable, and nails the likenesses of the characters this line will always hold it's value.

Hi guys, this was posted over on the S&F board. Thought you might be interested in seeing it.

Posted by gfdill:

I sent this suggestion regarding this question yesterday.

"As one of your more dedicated collectors of all things LOTR, particularly your PF and new maquette series, I'm disappointed that the new Black Orc of Mordor has failed to live up to its potential. While the pose is excellent I feel there's been a wasted opportunity by not providing two more disparate portraits than those that have been offered. The difference in expression between the two is minimal at best and offers limited potential for display possibilities.

It may be too far along at this point, but if not, may I suggest that one of the two portraits incorporate an Orc helmet of some kind as was done with the Moria Orc PF. Since the character portrayed is generic in nature the ability to display two very significantly different appearances would greatly add to its appeal. Without some further form of diversity this will not be a purchase in which I'm interested.

Thanks for your time and for listening to our input as collectors."

I received this reply from Mike Tolentino the same day.

"Thank you for your email and for your suggestion regarding the Black Orc.

I will of course send your suggestion to our Production team, however the production has been fairly far along with this piece. If you change your mind and to decide to order the Balck Orc, I hope that your are happy with your piece. If you are in anyway dissatisfied when the item arrives, please contact us and we will gladly refund you the item price.

Thank you for your email and for your passion regarding the LOTR line. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Michael Tolentino"

It looks like that's not an option at this point, but it was very nice to receive such prompt recognition of the suggestion.

Guess it's a no then.:(

:duff
Bill

Hi guys, this was posted over on the S&F board. Thought you might be interested in seeing it.

Posted by gfdill:

I sent this suggestion regarding this question yesterday.

"As one of your more dedicated collectors of all things LOTR, particularly your PF and new maquette series, I'm disappointed that the new Black Orc of Mordor has failed to live up to its potential. While the pose is excellent I feel there's been a wasted opportunity by not providing two more disparate portraits than those that have been offered. The difference in expression between the two is minimal at best and offers limited potential for display possibilities.

It may be too far along at this point, but if not, may I suggest that one of the two portraits incorporate an Orc helmet of some kind as was done with the Moria Orc PF. Since the character portrayed is generic in nature the ability to display two very significantly different appearances would greatly add to its appeal. Without some further form of diversity this will not be a purchase in which I'm interested.

Thanks for your time and for listening to our input as collectors."

I received this reply from Mike Tolentino the same day.

"Thank you for your email and for your suggestion regarding the Black Orc.

I will of course send your suggestion to our Production team, however the production has been fairly far along with this piece. If you change your mind and to decide to order the Balck Orc, I hope that your are happy with your piece. If you are in anyway dissatisfied when the item arrives, please contact us and we will gladly refund you the item price.

Thank you for your email and for your passion regarding the LOTR line. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Michael Tolentino"

It looks like that's not an option at this point, but it was very nice to receive such prompt recognition of the suggestion.

Guess it's a no then.:(

Bill

I believe so. :( I talked to Mike twice about this issue and basically got the same response though he did go on to explain there is so much involved in the eventual approval process that last minute changes just aren't possible. I mentioned to him that the sentiments of many collectors was "What's the point?" [of having two sculpts that look so similar] and that some collectors who ordered the excl. didn't even know there was a 2nd headsculpt believing the excl. was the switch-out weapon. My suggestion that SS perhaps give us a bit more heads up during the early stages of these projects so that we could have to opportunity to forward any idea's or concerns didn't seem to go over to well either. :dunno

I believe so. :( I talked to Mike twice about this issue and basically got the same response though he did go on to explain there is so much involved in the eventual approval process that last minute changes just aren't possible. I mentioned to him that the sentiments of many collectors was "What's the point?" [of having two sculpts that look so similar] and that some collectors who ordered the excl. didn't even know there was a 2nd headsculpt believing the excl. was the switch-out weapon. My suggestion that SS perhaps give us a bit more heads up during the early stages of these projects so that we could have to opportunity to forward any idea's or concerns didn't seem to go over to well either. :dunno

That's too bad, it's a very simple way for everyone to benefit (as long as all criticism and suggestions are given in a professional and respectful manner).

My suggestion that SS perhaps give us a bit more heads up during the early stages of these projects so that we could have to opportunity to forward any idea's or concerns didn't seem to go over to well either. :dunno

Yes, I made that point myself several times :dunno. I think they want us to just leave it to the professionals :(.
General they do get it right most of the time and I am more than happy with their products.:clap
But sometimes I think a little help from the collectors wouldn't go a miss :wink1:.

You would think it would make perfect business sense to give the customer what they want...guess not :(.

Bill

That's too bad, it's a very simple way for everyone to benefit (as long as all criticism and suggestions are given in a professional and respectful manner).

My last post may have implied SS was not too happy with my suggestion, but that isn't the case at all. They did explain to me that first off it is impossible to please everyone, and that allowing for customer input would definitely result in people being upset when their idea's aren't considered. Also, it was brought to my attention that SS needs approval before releasing any sneak peeks, and most of the time NL doesn't allow sneak peeks until a project is near completion or actually completed. And sometimes they don't allow SS to reveal a product until they are previewed the week before pre-orders.

Last edited:
My last post may have implied SS was not too happy with my suggestion, but that isn't the case at all. They did explain to me that first off it is impossible to please everyone, and that allowing for customer input would definitely result in people being upset when their idea's aren't considered. Also, it was brought to my attention that SS needs approval before releasing any sneak peeks, and most of the time NL doesn't allow sneak peeks until a project in near completion or actually completed. And sometimes they don't allow SS to reveal a product until they are previewed the week before pre-orders.

Well, that clears things up a bit. I would imagine having input coming from all directions would also tend to slow down the whole process as well. I do appreciate SS being open about these things at least.

Thanks for at least inquiring about the possibility of a helmeted head being included gfdill. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what style of helmet the Black Orc of Mordor might have worn? Maybe there's a way to fashion one of the old Weta helms to fit...or at least to display with him. :hi5:

Thanks for at least inquiring about the possibility of a helmeted head being included gfdill. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what style of helmet the Black Orc of Mordor might have worn? Maybe there's a way to fashion one of the old Weta helms to fit...or at least to display with him. :hi5:
That's the plan that's been bandied about. :)

Back