Premium Format Black Orc of Mordor Premium Format. Link to Buy in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mordor Orc PF

Exactly. Does everyone forget how huge the Berserker PF was in popularity? Or how quickly the Moria Orc PF sold out....until SS screwed it up with the red pleather? Baddies sell, pure and simple. But before anyone attempts to throw SS under the bus, have some of you guys forgotten that 4 of the first 10 PF's are fellowship members...with Boromir being strongly hinted as a 2011 pre-order? And where this talk of the PF line being "on life support" or SS want to "breathe new life" comes from is just ridiculous. One look at SS's LOTR PF page should make that abundantly clear. :cuckoo:

The Berserker worked, sure, but that was a much more recognizable background character. He had plenty of close-ups and was featured in other media, like video games, etc. Same with the Moria Orc, he was seen prominantly in the movie during the Moria scene and in other media. This upcoming Orc isn't from any scene that I can recall; so I feel it is a weaker choice and will not perform as well.

As for my comments on "life support" and "breathing new life", there were many concerns just as the GtG PF was announced that the PF line was really slowing down. Considering that SSC has cancelled (or put on hiatus) other lines in the LOTR series before, alot of what they put out for LOTR should not be taken as a guarantee. One look at the SSC site does not make the success of the PF line "abundantly" clear, because at one point Galadriel, Legolas Ex, and the Moria Orc were all available in decent numbers, with the Gandalf PF still not sold out, even with an edition size of only 1,000.

Also, you're wrong about the first four PFs being Fellowship characters, as Gandalf the White was never part of the Fellowship. As it is, we've only got 4/9 of the Fellowship completed or in route.

Unusual choice to go with a concept Orc seeing as there are so many more recognisable Mordor Orcs to go with and it's that recognition factor that helps sell a 'movie' collectible as it invokes memories. The Berserker, Lurtz and MO certainly do that.
So, no iterest in this particular piece but lots for twins Gollum/Smeagol :1-1:

The Berserker worked, sure, but that was a much more recognizable background character. He had plenty of close-ups and was featured in other media, like video games, etc. Same with the Moria Orc, he was seen prominantly in the movie during the Moria scene and in other media. This upcoming Orc isn't from any scene that I can recall; so I feel it is a weaker choice and will not perform as well.

As for my comments on "life support" and "breathing new life", there were many concerns just as the GtG PF was announced that the PF line was really slowing down. Considering that SSC has cancelled (or put on hiatus) other lines in the LOTR series before, alot of what they put out for LOTR should not be taken as a guarantee. One look at the SSC site does not make the success of the PF line "abundantly" clear, because at one point Galadriel, Legolas Ex, and the Moria Orc were all available in decent numbers, with the Gandalf PF still not sold out, even with an edition size of only 1,000.

Also, you're wrong about the first four PFs being Fellowship characters, as Gandalf the White was never part of the Fellowship. As it is, we've only got 4/9 of the Fellowship completed or in route.

No, you're wrong about me ever saying the first four were fellowship characters. And I never included GTW in that number, though I did include GTG. :wink1:

And if you had been following the LOTR PF line since day one, you'ld know there's always been concerns about the pace at which these PF's are being produced. Not surprising since SS has only produced 11 PF's including the ML [12 if you include the soon to be released Mordor Orc], in the first 5 years [as of Nov.] of production. This doom and gloom talk isn't new, though it's always been baseless. Even moreso when you consider the success of the two PF's preceeding GTG. And if you think this line is in trouble with the reg. edition of 1000 GTG not selling out yet [even though the excl. edition of 650 sold out in 4 1/2 minutes flat!], I'd hate to hear what you have to say about SS's SW and Marvel PF lines.....:monkey3

Exactly. Does everyone forget how huge the Berserker PF was in popularity? Or how quickly the Moria Orc PF sold out....until SS screwed it up with the red pleather? Baddies sell, pure and simple. But before anyone attempts to throw SS under the bus, have some of you guys forgotten that 4 of the first 10 PF's are fellowship members...with Boromir being strongly hinted as a 2011 pre-order? And where this talk of the PF line being "on life support" or SS want to "breathe new life" comes from is just ridiculous. One look at SS's LOTR PF page should make that abundantly clear. :cuckoo:

This doom and gloom talk isn't new, though it's always been baseless. Even moreso when you consider the success of the two PF's preceeding GTG. And if you think this line is in trouble with the reg. edition of 1000 GTG not selling out yet [even though the excl. edition of 650 sold out in 4 1/2 minutes flat!], I'd hate to hear what you have to say about SS's SW and Marvel PF lines.....:monkey3

The "doom and gloom" talk is not baseless when SSC has already abandoned the 1/6 scale line and the LSB line. It establishes a pattern where everything LOTR related is fair game for elimination, despite fan-base popularity.

As for GTG not selling out, I do find that surprising and disappointing. That PF was considered by some to be SSC best PF to date and the fact that it didn't sell out based on popularity and design, gives me the impression that it's not doing as well as it could. Maybe it's the statue line converting people over. Maybe it was the lackluster design of the PF ML. For some reason one the (if not the) most important character in LOTR, produced in one of the finest formats around, still has not sold out.

As for Ex selling out in minutes, that's really more debatable with the whole flipping/Ebay community. Gauging a Reg in this case, would give a better idea of the pulse of the LOTR fanbase.

In any case, you appreciate the baddies and I don't... I think that's pretty much all there is to say.

The "doom and gloom" talk is not baseless when SSC has already abandoned the 1/6 scale line and the LSB line. It establishes a pattern where everything LOTR related is fair game for elimination, despite fan-base popularity.

It is baseless because that talk has been going on for years now and nothing has changed, it's like listening to a broken record. How many years of false predictions have to go by before people finally figure that out? And where is this fan-base popularity in regard to the 1/6 scale and LSB's that you talk about? If they were popular, or actually sold in a timely fashion, they'd still be produced. But it's pretty clear they weren't selling in the numbers or time frame SS was comfortable with. Can you say that in regard to the PF line?

As for GTG not selling out, I do find that surprising and disappointing. That PF was considered by some to be SSC best PF to date and the fact that it didn't sell out based on popularity and design, gives me the impression that it's not doing as well as it could. Maybe it's the statue line converting people over. Maybe it was the lackluster design of the PF ML. For some reason one the (if not the) most important character in LOTR, produced in one of the finest formats around, still has not sold out.

Sure it's disappointing, but based on the economic climate, and the huge number of licences/lines collectors have to choose from, I don't find it that surprising at all. Any way you slice it 1650 is still a pretty large number, but it will eventually sell out. Like I said, take a good look at the Marvel and SW PF lines. Six reg. edition Marvel PF's still available, 4 reg. edition [two of which didn't even feature an excl edition] and 2 excl. SW PF's still available. I'd say SS's LOTR PF line is moving along just fine.....

As for Ex selling out in minutes, that's really more debatable with the whole flipping/Ebay community. Gauging a Reg in this case, would give a better idea of the pulse of the LOTR fanbase.

I don't think so. The days of flipping LOTR statues for profit are pretty well dead. Collectors, by and large, prefer excl. editions because they are getting more bang for the buck....

In any case, you appreciate the baddies and I don't... I think that's pretty much all there is to say.

Nope, I appreciate both.

The more I look at the drawings, the more this doesn't make me think 'Orc'. It seems to look more like a "Samurai/Genghis Khan Warrior" from the world of the undead. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome statue, just think they could have come up with something closer to the source material; Mordor had plenty of powerful examples to choose from.

(If anyone has access to a pic that displays an orc dressed like this or with a "pony tail", please post.)

The more I look at the drawings, the more this doesn't make me think 'Orc'. It seems to look more like a "Samurai/Genghis Khan Warrior" from the world of the undead. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome statue, just think they could have come up with something closer to the source material; Mordor had plenty of powerful examples to choose from.

(If anyone has access to a pic that displays an orc dressed like this or with a "pony tail", please post.)

Here's some shots from ROTK of a pony-tailed orc :).

LOTR_ReturnOfTheKing_1364.jpg

074.jpg
snapshot20090309140507.jpg

It is baseless because that talk has been going on for years now and nothing has changed, it's like listening to a broken record. How many years of false predictions have to go by before people finally figure that out? And where is this fan-base popularity in regard to the 1/6 scale and LSB's that you talk about? If they were popular, or actually sold in a timely fashion, they'd still be produced. But it's pretty clear they weren't selling in the numbers or time frame SS was comfortable with. Can you say that in regard to the PF line?

Well, both the 1/6 line and the LSB were selling reasonably well, till the end. The first few LSB did really well and the last couple sort of shelfwarmed - same with the 1/6, except for Gandalf.

It's funny that we're basically arguing over something that is very subjective: popularity. Neither of knows for certain what SSC considers popular or financially successful, so whether you or I think the PF line is a success or not, doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, SSC has cancelled LOTR lines that people liked enough to buy at some point. Currently, the 1/6 scale line has people still making noise about wanting more figures made - that's got to mean it's popular to some degree, right? You really can't assume that just because *you* think something is successful that SSC won't randomly pull the plug.

As for Ex flipping, you really can't assume that it's a dead market. Check Ebay - there's auctions of Ex items up all the time, from every line. Slap an "Exclusive" label on anything and it can get flipped.

In any case, this has gotten so far off the track, it's not even funny. If you really want to go back and forth, we can just continue in PMs...

074.jpg

I loved that orc from Return of the King. He ran up the steps to bash the Gondorian warrior (too bad PJ didn't have him stab him), then turned around looking for his next victim, making this guttural sound. He was the most recognizable "fodder" orc for me in the trilogy (those without lines). Skully from ROTK would be great as well.

I loved that orc from Return of the King. He ran up the steps to bash the Gondorian warrior (too bad PJ didn't have him stab him), then turned around looking for his next victim, making this guttural sound. He was the most recognizable "fodder" orc for me in the trilogy (those without lines). Skully from ROTK would be great as well.

Yeah, he was the one making the "clucking" sound...very hard to forget. The Orc ambusher also made for a great 1/4 scale bust ala SSW , as did Skully and Sharku. :wink1:

Morgul_Orc_0.jpg
Morgul_Orc_2.jpg

fgggg.jpg

Last edited:

074.jpg

Thanks Woodsy - you have redeemed this piece in my eyes!:clap Now it comes down to seeing the full reveal. I don't doubt that I'll add it to my collection.

Btw - that is the character I refer to as the "clucking orc".:lol

Good day all!!

Woodsey - the Gondorian soldiers behind the orc busts.......whats the story with those?

They customs from S&F?

Correct, a 1/6 scale Gondorian Fountain Guard made to look like the SSW statues by Markus Hausberg over on S&F. Unfortunately they've been sold out for quite some time, but you should see the 1/6 scale Mouth of Sauron on steed statue he's currently working on......:drool

Correct, a 1/6 scale Gondorian Fountain Guard made to look like the SSW statues by Markus Hausberg over on S&F. Unfortunately they've been sold out for quite some time, but you should see the 1/6 scale Mouth of Sauron on steed statue he's currently working on......:drool

Just went for a stroll.....

Man, it sure DOES look good!! They have alot of talent and some really neat stuff. Love the Red Book.

I first joined the SF when I saw pics of the armored Boromir they were working on, quite some time ago.

Do you have any of the customs? Seems they still have some logistics issues to hammer out........

I got the faramir statue but the Eomer on steed is just taking ages to appear, and most have just about given up on it. I'm still trying to get a refund.
Markus is the only person i can trust with updates and promises, and i will be getting a fountain guard and the MoS on steed from him, but i won't be going into any of the busts - we already have problems with Denethor, Eowyn and the Mumak Mahud...

Monday, January 10th, 2011

Question : Okay, Sideshow, straight to the point. When will we see our next LOTR Premium Format, and will it be the Mordor Orc?

Answer : Okay, straight to the answer. We hope to show you the next LOTR PF in … maybe February 2011, and it will indeed be the Mordor Orc.

That's my question! Looks like ToyFair for the Mordor Orc. :clap

Back