Zack Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone spoil the video above? Is it really footage of Baby Doll dancing? Her skills were supposed to be so unspeakably jaw dropping that I don't think I'd ever want to see Browning really doing it. There's no way she could live up to what the movie implies.

That's why this scene was deleted. YoNoSe just want to keep it all to himself. Doesn't want to share his Babydoll with you.

I loved Sucker Punch and hope that it will attain the cult status it deserves.

https://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1160581p1.html

Why I Love Sucker Punch
Zack Snyder's film is copping an unfair amount of flack. Here's one take that's asking you to open your mind.

When the first trailer for Sucker Punch (Zack Snyder's first movie based on his own creation) was released, geeks all over the world collectively had a nerdgasm at the sight of its incredibly stylish visuals and genre mash-ups, impeccably scored to angst-fuelled alternative rock. Sounds pretty bad-ass, right? So what happened?

Modern audiences have grown accustomed to preconceived notions of what a trip to the cinema should be. Hollywood has been regurgitating mediocre, soulless products like Battle: Los Angeles and Tron: Legacy for so long, that it seems audiences have come to accept the blandness as something of a warm safety blanket. Viewers need to have their hands held while being walked through easily digestible plotlines that conform to the typical Hollywood story tropes. Even a film as excellent and complex as Inception needed its characters to completely spell out and explain its inner-workings through 40 minutes of expository dialogue before audiences would fully embrace it.

Sucker Punch to me, feels like a film that was released at the wrong time in cinematic history. It seems like there is a mentality where an expensive, effects-laden studio picture doesn't have the right to be experimental and strange. Just because it has all the luxuries that come with massive blockbusters in this day and age, doesn't mean that the attitude behind it isn't in the same spirit of many classic films of the 60s and 70s. Unfortunately, it feels as though visionary genre films don't have a place in our multiplexes anymore. I have no doubt, that films such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, El Topo, Suspiria, or any other wildly experimental film that wears the inspirations of its creator's interests on its sleeve, would be met with a resounding WTF from critics and audiences had they been released in the current cinematic landscape. People would be more interested in labelling them pretentious disasters while scrutinising their box office numbers. Viewers today are not as open-minded as they used to be.

Don't believe me? Look at the reception given to Darren Aronofsky's film The Fountain. One of the most celebrated young directors working today, releases what is by far his most personal and heartfelt film to date, only to have it torn to shreds by closed-minded critics and audiences unwilling to identify with its themes. Like Sucker Punch, it too is about a character that escapes into a fantasy-state in order to come to grips with a personal trauma, in this case it's the inevitability of his cancer-stricken wife's death. While Sucker Punch doesn't pretend to be as serious as this, they're definitely exploring similar themes.

Sucker Punch is instead a rock-opera – a musical in which operatic displays of fantasy empowerment replace songs and dance routines. Why should scenes of characters belting out show-tunes in the middle of a film be more acceptable than balletic-displays of kinetic action? Characters acting out violently at their oppressors through their imaginations are much more understandable to me than Renée Zellweger suddenly appearing on a stage in the movie Chicago (in a way that's completely disconnected from the plot) to sing out her emotions as if we didn't have the gist of them already. Arguably, it could be said that singing out exactly what's on your mind to an audience is much less subtle than characters picking up a katana and tearing down imaginary figures as a way to express the anger they feel.

One of the reasons that Sucker Punch works so well for me, is that I'm a guy that grew up reading the sorts of comics and watching the sorts of shows that Zack Snyder clearly grew up on as well. I realised while watching the film that Sucker Punch is as close to a live-action adaptation of the fantasy-themed Heavy Metal magazine as we are likely to ever get. From Nazi zombies in World War 1, to fantasy-themed dragon slaying, and the futuristic battle against an army of killer robots – every element could be found in practically any issue of the publication, or even its animated film adaptation from the 80s.

It's nods like these that make Sucker Punch special. They're not just cool elements chosen at random as many critics have suggested – each nod to a specific genre also represents an area of fantasy that generations of people have escaped to and found solace in. From D&D kids disappearing into the roles of warriors in fantasy worlds, the sci-fi kids that identify with Star Trek and Star Wars, and the otaku communities with a deep passion for anime, here's a film that reaches out to these people with characters they can relate to. Gamers in particular should be able to identify with them. Who here hasn't at one point or another escaped the day to day stresses and problems in their life by digging deep into a video game, only to escape reality for a while?

Sound off in the comments section. Do you feel the reception has been justified? Or has the movie been grossly misunderstood?

Comparing this to 2001 or The Fountain is a bit ridiculous.

Just cause its imaginative doesn't automatically make it good and deserving of a warm reception.

I can see people leaving the theater after 2001: A Space Odyssey and thinking to themselves that they just saw one of the, if not THE greatest, films ever made.

I left Sucker Punching thinking it was average.

Cult status? Not a chance. There is nothing unique about SP.

Oh and Emily Browning has a chest of a 11 year old boy.

While its a well written little piece, the guy makes no case as to why the actual content of the film is good or great, he just says "hey, these other movies were creative and imaginative and people liked them, so they should like SP too"...not much of an argument.

If he was gonna spend that much time to make a case for SP, he should have spent it analyzing the merit of the material at hand, not accusing the viewer of being to dumb to understand the subject matter or blaming SP's reception on the decade it was released.

I dont think Sucker Punch has the emotional world people can really dive into and explore, i think it will have a cult status but not a big one.

I really like the movie, i was dissapointed when it flopped becuase i understood wat Zack was going for, i loved the action and the performances were very strong. I really enjoyed it. I think in time it will age well.

While its a well written little piece, the guy makes no case as to why the actual content of the film is good or great, he just says "hey, these other movies were creative and imaginative and people liked them, so they should like SP too"...not much of an argument.

If he was gonna spend that much time to make a case for SP, he should have spent it analyzing the merit of the material at hand, not accusing the viewer of being to dumb to understand the subject matter or blaming SP's reception on the decade it was released.

:lecture I stopped reading the article at the first paragraph when he was just making excuses of how nobody gave it a fair chance, and that people didn't like it because of pre-conceived notions going in beforehand.

I enjoyed Sucker Punch more than many people that are hating on it, but to claim this movie deserves cult status based on intentions alone is absurd. Yes it was a very creative movie and all, but it just didn't give me an overwhelming impression of "Yes! That movie just blew my mind."

I dont think people gave it a fair chance.

Because a fair chance would be having no expectations for anything, and allowing film to be what it is...trailers aside.

It's quite hard to do these days. So I can't blame anyone for it. I almost hated it...but I decided to let it happen.

It's not a great movie. But it's just so cool looking....

The trailers showed sexy girls dressed like whores kicking ass and blowing stuff up. And that is pretty much what the movie one. I know people are reaching for some Zen or deep message, but it's not there.

But what there is, the whores look hawt (except the Hobbit looking chick) and the art direction and design are awesome.

There's no deep message...but it's not the action packed shoot 'em up people saw in the trailers.

The action wasn't even real, nor affected them until the 4th world. And then she got lobomized.

In fact, the entire movie took place between the moment she was going to get hit, and the actual moment.

It was unconventional, confusing, and strange.

The trailers mislead you. Rightfully so. As no one would've watched this movie. :lol

The trailers showed sexy girls dressed like whores kicking ass and blowing stuff up. And that is pretty much what the movie one. I know people are reaching for some Zen or deep message, but it's not there.

But what there is, the whores look hawt (except the Hobbit looking chick) and the art direction and design are awesome.

Agreed for the most part.

There's no deep message...but it's not the action packed shoot 'em up people saw in the trailers...

...It was unconventional, confusing, and strange.

One of the main reasons why I thought it was a decent movie. (Or at least a decent attempt at making a strange unconventional movie.)

I don't care what others think, I liked it. Bought the Extended Blu-Ray and have watched 4 time already. Wasn't looking for some deep message and glad it was more then just sexy girls kicking ass.

There's no deep message...but it's not the action packed shoot 'em up people saw in the trailers.

I don't know, it seemed like there was every bit as much action as the trailers would lead one to believe. The problem was all that action was boring. Pretty, but boring. The "real" story of what's going on in the mental institution is so one dimensional, and the characters so bland that it makes those action scenes even less compelling because I didn't give two craps about what happened to any of them. Just my opinion, of course. :dunno

Just watched the movie, some questions/observations...

1. There was three realities.

• The real world where Dr Gorski (Carla) runs the mental hospital and Blue is an orderly.
  • The first imaginary reality, where the institution is a front for a brother/club and Blue is the owner.
  • The third reality where the girls quest for the items.

2. The events of the movie shunt from the real world once Baby sits in the lobotomy chair to the 1st imaginary reality, and moves in and out of the third as they go for the items, the real-life events of getting the items and using them take place in the real world off-screen.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I loved the film. People may not say its deep but i think it is, if the story of Baby and the girls in a dingy Asylum was filmed at face value, stealing an orderly's lighter, photocopying a map and stealing a knife, it would be over quickly and be boring.

Going into the other realities gives the quest for these items more excitement.

The film starts off very emotional, gets actionery during and when it comes towards the end i was shocked at...

Spoiler Spoiler:

I think this was a great blend of Action & Drama, as the film progressed i got somewhat bored by the jumping in and out of action scenes, but at exactly the right time it brought back the drama to really give the punch of the film.

Spoiler Spoiler:

And the music :rock, as did the effects.

My only gripe would be that during the first action scene Baby was kicked about alot without showing any signs of injury. I understand this was done to showcase the modern media showing indestrible humans, but it took away the sense of danger the character was in.

Was just reading a thread on IMDB where a woman critsed the film over sexism, plenty of posters both male & female rebutted her.

As a male i left this film thinking about the way the story worked in the real and fantasy realities rather than thinking how much i wanted to bang the women.

In fact, I dont know what the US and other countries are like but the women in this film were so much more natural looking than those over here (at least when in nights-out situations)

They had make-up but weren't caked in it (a little too rosey cheeks) but in good proportion.
They Didn't overcook on fake tan.
They didn't show overflowing cleavage or ass that much
They weren't ridiculously thin
There was No nudity

Compare that to glamour models, big brother contestants, TOWIE cast and other UK TV harlots who would sell their soul for fame and have inspired a generation of teenage girls and twenty-something women to wear fake crap to look good, marry a footballer and spend his money on more materialistic crap.

IMO the women in the film were glamorous looking, not glamour-model glamorous but more monroe-glamorous & considering they looked they way they did because it was the ideal in BabyDolls imagination, is a much more positive image of beauty for females than what there is in the UK

If anything the film was sexist to men as all but one man was depicted as a scumbag or rapist/murderer

. The "real" story of what's going on in the mental institution is so one dimensional, and the characters so bland that it makes those action scenes even less compelling because I didn't give two craps about what happened to any of them. Just my opinion, of course. :dunno

You know...I agree.

I think my point still stands, and that was the downfall of the movie.

It wanted to be a big action movie...but tried to put in a "great deep plot" and that didn't work...so the movie became confusing and jarring.

Shoulda just been a mindless shoot 'em up. Could've created a really fun movie.

Back