Media Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection [PS4]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. :)

What's the deal with 'Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition' then, is that a cleaned up version of the 2013 PS3 game?

I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan.

They updated the look of Lara and generally improved on the framerate from the old gen console version to the new.......having played both, the Definitive version is very purdy

Thanks guys. :)

What's the deal with 'Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition' then, is that a cleaned up version of the 2013 PS3 game?

I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan.

Well, as mentioned it has improved framerate and graphics. Lara now has TressFX which means her hair has individual strand and a physics code to it. It's probably some of the better looking games on the market, even if it is a last-gen port.

However, being a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider myself, I think the Tomb Raider games died with Underworld. Never once did this game felt like "Tomb Raider" and instead feels like what Christopher Nolan would do if he made Uncharted. You're much better off playing the Uncharted games than the new Lara reboot. I was genuinely bummed that the series I loved is now just dumb cover shooter. And Lara sounds terrible! Why did they recast the role? :slap

Right, so it is the PS3 ported over to PS4 etc then.

Ehh, I don't know whether I agree with your critique there Ryan. I'm roughly halfway through TR 2013 & I'm adoring the **** out of it.

That said, I took a break from it a while back, & since gotten stuck into the original PS1 games again. I recently finished TR5, & I'm more than halfway through TR3 at the moment. I do get your point about the new one not feeling the same though, it's too full on at times. The originals were fun, thrilling, yet not overly serious or taxing, just challenging - & might I add, some of THE hardest games out there for their time. They didn't hold your hand like these new Gen ones do. :lol

Well, as mentioned it has improved framerate and graphics. Lara now has TressFX which means her hair has individual strand and a physics code to it. It's probably some of the better looking games on the market, even if it is a last-gen port.

However, being a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider myself, I think the Tomb Raider games died with Underworld. Never once did this game felt like "Tomb Raider" and instead feels like what Christopher Nolan would do if he made Uncharted. You're much better off playing the Uncharted games than the new Lara reboot. I was genuinely bummed that the series I loved is now just dumb cover shooter. And Lara sounds terrible! Why did they recast the role? :slap

Well yes ...it does feel like what Christopher Nolan would do if he made Tomb Raider the movie (not sure why you said Uncharted there instead)

I don't view that as a negative though .... more a huge positive :D

I loved the Tomb Raider game, although I have to confess classic TR was one PS1/2 series I completely skipped... (did get about 4 levels into Underworld though). I really enjoyed the environments. I felt that was something the game possibly did that Uncharted series hasn't, and that's really make you feel the claustrophobic, dark, miserable outdoor environments. Interesting also that Uncharted 4 is employing some of the climbing mechanics that TR used.

I've beaten TR on PS3 and PS4, and played the PS4 version through to 100%..

As for Uncharted... interesting to find out that, like The Last of Us Remaster, they are putting in a new, harder difficulty..

You mention Nolan so much these days...I wonder if you have a love-hate relationship with Nolan? :lol

I played some of the reboot, and thought it wasn't bad. I honestly couldn't get into the other games - PS1, Legend, and Anniversary. They sorta bored me. I thought I could get into them following Uncharted, and Prince of Persia, but I couldn't. Nothing really enticed me to go on, unlike those two.
I never got why other parts of the world got special editions for the series, but the U.S. didn't until Uncharted 3 :dunno these look neat though

You mention Nolan so much these days...I wonder if you have a love-hate relationship with Nolan? :lol

I played some of the reboot, and thought it wasn't bad. I honestly couldn't get into the other games - PS1, Legend, and Anniversary. They sorta bored me. I thought I could get into them following Uncharted, and Prince of Persia, but I couldn't. Nothing really enticed me to go on, unlike those two.I never got why other parts of the world got special editions for the series, but the U.S. didn't until Uncharted 3 :dunno these look neat though

Not at all. I've never seen his movies outside of Batman and I liked the Batman trilogy (TDKR, not so much) and he should be hailed as the man who brought Batman out of the near 10 year slump and making him relevant again. It's just that whenever people try to take an existing property that was deemed irrelevant for modern audiences, people would toss his name. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Nolan should do a Metal Gear movie" and so forth. Heck, even the developers of this game were constantly referring to "a Batman Begins style reboot" when promoting the 2013 game.

Of course, you can see the Nolan inspiration on the 2013 reboot everywhere where they try to make the plot seem "important" with all the speeches about destiny and stuff. I'm gonna make it clear that I don't hate Nolan, that award goes to Michael Bay. :lol

As for the previous Tomb Raider games, I was only a casual fan at best but I've never missed a console release of any TR game. I do find the games you mentioned "boring" as well when I first got into it, and never bothered to finish Anniversary and Underworld because I deemed them to be dull and lacking. Surprisingly, I grew to love them AFTER the reboot. Isn't that crazy? I guess you'll never appreciate something till they're gone.

So to make it clear, I like Nolan, and I liked the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot. It's just that when you try to take an inherently silly source material and sprinkle buckets of grittiness, make it sooo serious, it could be forgiven that some nerds like myself try to poke fun at it just a bit. :lol

Last edited:
Not at all. I've never seen his movies outside of Batman and I liked the Batman trilogy (TDKR, not so much) and he should be hailed as the man who brought Batman out of the near 10 year slump and making him relevant again. It's just that whenever people try to take an existing property that was deemed irrelevant for modern audiences, people would toss his name. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Nolan should do a Metal Gear movie" and so forth. Heck, even the developers of this game were constantly referring to "a Batman Begins style reboot" when promoting the 2013 game.

Of course, you can see the Nolan inspiration on the 2013 reboot everywhere where they try to make the plot seem "important" with all the speeches about destiny and stuff. I'm gonna make it clear that I don't hate Nolan, that award goes to Michael Bay. :lol

As for the previous Tomb Raider games, I was only a casual fan at best but I've never missed a console release of any TR game. I do find the games you mentioned "boring" as well when I first got into it, and never bothered to finish Anniversary and Underworld because I deemed them to be dull and lacking. Surprisingly, I grew to love them AFTER the reboot. Isn't that crazy? I guess you'll never appreciate something till they're gone.

So to make it clear, I like Nolan, and I liked the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot. It's just that when you try to take an inherently silly source material and sprinkle buckets of grittiness, make it sooo serious, it could be forgiven that some nerds like myself try to poke fun at it just a bit. :lol
Yeah I really respect Nolan for helping bring a good name to Batman. Never even knew about that other stuff with properties, weird.

Not sure about the Nolan inspiration either, I need specific examples. As for you and the old games, maybe something was there. not sure. The 2008 Prince of Persia reboot made me love the previous games more, but I already had a deep admiration for them. It's just for far different reasons but yeah. But did you at least finish the older TR games? :lol

I thought TR tried to make itself serious though, at least, wasn't completely silly in the old games.

Yeah I really respect Nolan for helping bring a good name to Batman. Never even knew about that other stuff with properties, weird.

Not sure about the Nolan inspiration either, I need specific examples. As for you and the old games, maybe something was there. not sure. The 2008 Prince of Persia reboot made me love the previous games more, but I already had a deep admiration for them. It's just for far different reasons but yeah. But did you at least finish the older TR games? :lol

I thought TR tried to make itself serious though, at least, wasn't completely silly in the old games.

Well, the presentation is similar, along with the Hans Zimmer inspired music. Lara's mentor constantly gives her sermons about her destiny and who she should be. Lara herself narrates in a grandiose fashion. It's cool and all, but I'd rather have Drake's one-liners, it makes the mass genocide your committing less disturbing. :lol

I've never played any POP games aside from the sequel of 2003's Sands of Time, I really want to someday! As for your last question- I've beaten all of the console TR games except Angle of Darkness and those newer Diablo-style top down games.

Well, the presentation is similar, along with the Hans Zimmer inspired music. Lara's mentor constantly gives her sermons about her destiny and who she should be. Lara herself narrates in a grandiose fashion. It's cool and all, but I'd rather have Drake's one-liners, it makes the mass genocide your committing less disturbing. :lol

I've never played any POP games aside from the sequel of 2003's Sands of Time, I really want to someday! As for your last question- I've beaten all of the console TR games except Angle of Darkness and those newer Diablo-style top down games.
Hans Zimmer has always been like that, kinda, since Pirates of the Carribean at least though his music had a bigger fun factor to them in those films, so I don't really associate Hans Zimmer with Nolan. Plus, he is sorta directed in what he needs to try with the music. I do think Lara had some sass in her in the older games, so give her that instead of the one-liners, it'd make her seem too similar to Drake at times.

Play the POP games, they're great. Some of the finest games of the PS2, GC and Xbox era, and a truly fantastic trilogy. The HD Pack has some graphical flaws and didn't fix some game breaking glitches, but it's still good. Though you do get the original PoP in the old versions of Sands of Time.

Isn't Angel of Darkness where the series almost died?

I have it and it isn't so bad, but there's no reason for the mess ups it has :lol

Back