The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with all this, but I think he meant in Sony's cinematic universe. I got the feeling he was saying that SR is canon and they ****ed up. But you notice some things he said like Black Goblin and such. I mean he must know that it is either Green Goblin or in Ultimates case, Hobgoblin for Harry; not Black Goblin. And like you said about MJ and organic Web.

I think Fine was going with the direction of trying to keep it a prequel/reboot trilogy that exists in a timeframe before the Raimi films...and not a TRUE prequel. I believe he thought it would be better to keep Parker IN high school during the duration of the trilogy, like when he expresses his disappointment that the movie script starts with Peter's High School graduation. This is very similar to Raimi's "Spider-man", in which Peter also graduates and then enters college all within the same first movie. Fine says "I was under the impression that one major reason for the reboot was to be able to put Peter back in High School because we can tell better stories in that environment."

His wording about "denying" the original Raimi trilogy is a little convoluted and confusing...given the way Sony went with it and was approaching even the Amazing Spider-man movie. But I think the point he was trying to make was not to treat the audience as stupid and give them strong reasons for buying into the new versions of the characters in the "Amazing" reboot. Like how he mentions Mary Jane, the love of Peter's life, just popping up at the high school graduation (I guess this was part of the Shalene Woodley/MJ scenes that were cut) and Harry Osborn also just popping up after being at Boarding school. Major supporting characters that the audience should connect with but might have a hard time buying into because they just "show up" and carry the character name. I think he was also dismayed in how Harry just shows up and becomes Green Goblin in one movie, while it was a gradual build-up in the Raimi trilogy and carried weight behind it.

I think Fine was going with the direction of trying to keep it a prequel/reboot trilogy that exists in a timeframe before the Raimi films...and not a TRUE prequel. I believe he thought it would be better to keep Parker IN high school during the duration of the trilogy, like when he expresses his disappointment that the movie script starts with Peter's High School graduation. This is very similar to Raimi's "Spider-man", in which Peter also graduates and then enters college all within the same first movie. Fine says "I was under the impression that one major reason for the reboot was to be able to put Peter back in High School because we can tell better stories in that environment."

His wording about "denying" the original Raimi trilogy is a little convoluted and confusing...given the way Sony went with it and was approaching even the Amazing Spider-man movie. But I think the point he was trying to make was not to treat the audience as stupid and give them strong reasons for buying into the new versions of the characters in the "Amazing" reboot. Like how he mentions Mary Jane, the love of Peter's life, just popping up at the high school graduation (I guess this was part of the Shalene Woodley/MJ scenes that were cut) and Harry Osborn also just popping up after being at Boarding school. Major supporting characters that the audience should connect with but might have a hard time buying into because they just "show up" and carry the character name. I think he was also dismayed in how Harry just shows up and becomes Green Goblin in one movie, while it was a gradual build-up in the Raimi trilogy and carried weight behind it.

That makes more sense to me... and I can say he has a point...

Split him back to Marvel.

Cameo at the end of Civil War.

Phase 3, still make Sinister Six but new canon. His villains come after him because they know who he is as a result of Civil War. Hasn't been done yet either.

Then put him in Infinity Wars with the Avengers.

This is about the only thing that could make me want to see a Spider-Man movie again.

I have zero interest in a Sony produced Marvel film going forward. ASM2 was a steaming double-coil dog turd on a hot August day.

What I didn't hate was the casting of Garfield and Stone. I would happily see them join the Marvel Studios film universe and even ignore or retcon Gwen's death. Perhaps it hasn't happened yet. whatever. Her death with all the dumbass 3D floating gears was the dumbest f-ing thing in the movies last summer. Undo it. Use Spider-Gwen. Make Peter just a regular guy in this universe (for a while).

Spider Gwen would be sick. Another contradictory thing is that Gwen was more of Petes college days. Same can be said about MJ as they both met Peter around that time. I might be the only one, but Betty was one of his loves and early on too.

Imagine Civil War where the big unmasking scene is Tony Stark setting up the press conference and the movie audience thinks it will be Spider-Man, and out swings Spider-Gwen. When she takes off her mask it's Emma Stone "My name is Gwen Stacey and I've been Spider-Woman since I was fifteen years old."

Spider-Man 2 gets the X: DOFP treatment. We find out the hows and whys in a later movie.

Yes to be honest Betty brant and Liz Allen would be Spider-Man's first love interest. Liz Allen pretty much was Mary jane in the first raimi movies as she went out with the cool kids and hung out with flash but then crushed on Peter after he gained more confidence.

I'm just tired of Spiderman's love interest angle:dunno

This franchise needs to focus on Peter Parker as spider-man and less of Peter parker, the cryptic lover.

This franchise needs to focus on Peter Parker as spider-man and less of Peter parker, the cryptic lover.

They actually tone down his love life compared to how it was in the comics.

Yea it's been played out to much grown to hate it over the years.

Perhaps Spider-man should NOW be treated like Batman is in the DC Cinematic Universe.

Everyone KNOWS Batman, they KNOW his origin story, they KNOW his main villains. There is no need to constantly rehash the Batman origin story. I could ask any random person how Bruce Wayne became Batman and I'm sure most people with half-a-brain would know. The same goes with Spider-man and given how the reboot is so CLOSE to a recent trilogy, it's still very "fresh". Which other character is getting rebooted so close to his own trilogy? Oh yeah...BATMAN!

I did like Amazing Spider-man 2, but despite what I LOVED about the film (I like Garfield, the Garfield/Stone chemistry was much better than Maguire/Dunst, and Spidey looked amazing on-screen in the most comic-accurate outfit), its glaring missteps and repeated superhero story mistakes have caused both fans and filmmakers to reconsider Spider-man's franchise. As Marvel's flagship character, this shouldn't be happening, but it unfortunately is because Sony isn't putting the care that Marvel Studios has into the character. They're too driven by profits and crafting their own "Sony Cinematic Spidey-verse" that they forgot how to get people to care again about a new iteration of characters they had just seen on screens a couple of years ago.

Maybe Spider-man doesn't deserve his own solo movie for a while and should be a strong support character. Done properly and patiently, the Sinister Six movie was a promising idea...as is a potential Venom movie...but maybe Spidey in those should be a BIG part, but not the MAIN part. The Venom story could easily transition from beginning as the perspective of Eddie Brock as he follows Spider-man while we catch glimpses of Spidey going through the Alien Symbiote (or Venom suit) dilemma. The audience can share in Brock's frustration and anger towards Spidey by feeling sympathy for him but also fall into the mystery of what the Symbiote suit really is until it is explained LATER in the film. Make the film treat Spidey AS the antagonist and Venom is the protagonist.

Putting Spidey in the MCU is a good move and I would gladly welcome Garfield's Spider-man like Kamandi commented on. You don't need to reestablish him with another actor and perhaps some of the NYC stuff can be explained away that the Spidey stories took place AFTER the whole Hydra revealed as SHIELD incidents which can be excused for the lack of SHIELD's involvement in any of the Spidey NYC issues. Spidey could also be said to have been "inspired" by the Avengers and stepped "in" as NYC's resident hero after the Chitauri invasion.

They actually tone down his love life compared to how it was in the comics.

It really depends on the writers. But you're right, some of the runs were annoying as hell with that love story, totally focusing on that instead of Spider-man. I think the movies overall focused on it WAY too much. ASM2 was ridiculous with that love story. Spiderman is so much more than his love life. Just my biased thoughts.:)

I can see why it's annoying, but the love interest is probably what is the most important about Spider-Man. I can list a few examples:

Betty Brandt was a huge deal for Peter and he was even about to unmask himself to her. But her piece of **** brother got into trouble with Doc Ock and he essentially kidnapped her. During the whole event Spidey comes to the "rescue". By that, a ricocheted bullet killed her brother and she vowed hatred and revenge against Spidey. How are you going to feel that your love of your life, at that moment, hates your alter ego. Classic Bruce/Catwoman problem.

Number dos. Every time at Valentines day Pete leaves a note as to how much he loved and misses Gwen. How he has reached the deepest abyss of darkness because of that. How, even while he is MARRIED to MJ, he still loves her. Also same scenario as Betty, Gwen hates Spidey because of Capt. Stacy's death. To continue further upon it, he even sold his soul so that he can go back and be with Gwen. Again, he does this while being MARRIED to MJ.

So now MJ. She is probably his most popular love interest due to her sexy nature. Now consider how much she has made landmark events for Pete. Like her intro, her refusal of marriage, the marriage itself, the separations, the birth of their daughter, his death, his resurrection (as Doc Ock though). She has made such an impact that it turned that psycho Octavius into a good ****ing guy!

Point overall? The love point is necessary as it drives it in. No Aunt May is like no Alfred. No Gwen is like no Gordon. No Flash is like no Hush. These people are essential, regardless of annoyance. That's just me. I don't mind romance in anything, but I think it's important for Spider-Man. ****, Aunt May should've died a long time ago. And if she did, he wouldn't make a big deal about being unmasked. But since he has friends and lovers as well, it's what makes his powers such a curse.

The romantic stuff always was a big part of Spidey's stories, but I wouldn't say it was the main thing. First and foremost was the theme of responsibility. Tied into this is the fact that he was always being beaten down in one way or another (with money problems, school, May, girls, JJJ, villains, Flash, etc.), and had to fight out of and overcome it because of his responsibilities. The woman problems are a part of this, as is his dual identity, and the problems that caused.

Perhaps Spider-man should NOW be treated like Batman is in the DC Cinematic Universe.

Everyone KNOWS Batman, they KNOW his origin story, they KNOW his main villains. There is no need to constantly rehash the Batman origin story.
Except, apparently, we'll be seeing the Batman origin story once again in Batman V. Superman!

At this point Marvel could treat Spidey with James Bond rules. Pierce Brosnan was replaced with Daniel Craig but the kept Judi Dench - even though they rebooted the continuity. Even thought the Bosnan film don't connect to the Craig films.

Just move Spidey over to Marvel Studios and let the audience fill in the blanks as they will. Comic readers do this all the time. New teams take over titles and make small recons to suit their stories. No more origin do-overs.

Doing some reading there are recent rumors that the character Spider-Gwen is of great interest to Sony. Emma Stone is a bigger name than Garfield and they want to keep her.

At this point Marvel could treat Spidey with James Bond rules. Pierce Brosnan was replaced with Daniel Craig but the kept Judi Dench - even though they rebooted the continuity. Even thought the Bosnan film don't connect to the Craig films.

Just move Spidey over to Marvel Studios and let the audience fill in the blanks as they will. Comic readers do this all the time. New teams take over titles and make small recons to suit their stories. No more origin do-overs.

Doing some reading there are recent rumors that the character Spider-Gwen is of great interest to Sony. Emma Stone is a bigger name than Garfield and they want to keep her.

I would certainly love that. I think Gwen is probably the best love interest of Spidey, plus her overall story is incredible (and sad really). So seeing her verse as Spider Gwen is ****ing rad, not to mention her suit is ****ing sick as hell. Plus I'll gladly take Emma again! :lecture

If Marvel went with Spider Gwen, I'll pay for other people's tickets for this!

Spider Gwen is raising in popularity lately. Honestly the most important woman to Peter will always be Mary jane. She is iconic as Spider-Man's girl

- make Spider-Gwen movie

- make love interest Mary Jane

- instant billion dollar box office

Back