The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
\ Everyone knows the story of superman. everyone in the world knows the story of superman. Didn't stop Nolan and Co. to make that crap all over again.

that's not true because every time there is a reboot they always tell the story again. I swear the next batman reboot is going to have the story of the parents getting killed.
Even the show Gotham is based around Bruce's beginning..... it will never end

I thought the Gotham show was based more around Gotham PD's start?

Maybe because I'm old (hell I don't know I loved the issues when I was a teenager) but can we scoot this franchise forward to where he's married to Mary Jane? Marriage is tricky enough. Plenty of Raimi-drama there. I would love to see the Gwen Stacy saga done right but it's just not gonna happen.

https://badassdigest.com/2014/07/19/more-uncertainty-about-the-future-of-spider-man/

Published July 19, 2014 by Devin Faraci
More Uncertainty About The Future Of SPIDER-MAN

Alex Kurtzman isn't quite sure what's up with the franchise either.

Last week we told you that Bob Orci was officially off The Amazing Spider-Man 3, and in an interview he said he felt the franchise's future was up in the air. Of course being off the property means Orci doesn't have an insider's perspective anymore. But his ex-writing partner does - Alex Kurtzman is still technically attached to write and direct a Venom movie. Talking to Collider Kurtzman, who is possibly still on The Amazing Spider-Man 3 said this about the film's release date:

It’s all up for grabs, right now. We’re just trying to figure it out.

That's not a promising statement coming off a sequel that spends a lot of time setting up a franchise. If they're still trying to figure it out three movies in...

When asked if we might get Black Cat, possibly in her own solo movie, Kurtzman continued the confused answers:

Anything is possible. We are always looking for opportunities like that. I can’t say a whole lot about it, but I wouldn’t rule anything out.

This reads less to me like hedging bets or keeping secrets and more like honestly not knowing. Kurtzman says that Venom is scheduled for after Sinister Six, but every day that passes I hear more and more scuttlebutt that makes me think Sinister Six is dead or dying. In fact everything I hear every day makes this whole franchise sound like it's essentially DOA.

But it cannot be! Sony will not let the rights lapse back to Marvel, come hell or high water, so there will be movement on the franchise. Also, it's Sony's only big franchise right now (they don't own James Bond), so they can't let it go. But the franchise is clearly dying - domestic box office is down, international box office is stagnant at best, and fan interest is low.

The other bit of scuttlebutt I've heard: feel bad for Marc Webb. He's toiling behind the scenes trying to make these movies good, and he's getting blocked at every turn by Avi Arad and Sony suits. I don't know anything about anybody's deals but the stories I've heard about Webb getting crushed by the producers make me think he might not be back for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, whenever that happens. That's just speculation right now, of course.

What will save Spider-Man? Getting rid of Avi Arad and clearing the deck for Webb to actually make a movie he wants to make, I think.

SOURCE: COLLIDER

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 95
If those rumors about Webb are true, he's in the same place where Sam Raimi was.

Sony has done a good job in getting the right people on board (in my opinion) but they seem to always want to meddle when they think they have a good thing. It's like Steinbrenner and the Yankees...

Yeah, I'm as guilty as anyone for blasting Webb, but I have wondered if he's basically trying to serve **** up he's forced with as best he can. Oh well, heavy is the head that wears the crown.

It's hard to get rid of Avi Arad. He's longtime buddies with Isaac Perlmutter (CEO and former long-time owner of Marvel) and has had a stranglehold on the Spider-man movie rights ever since Marvel sold them off. And even though Arad is no longer part of Marvel, his production company still handles them and I assume there's a pretty tight contract there which keeps him on-board (along with Laura Ziskin, but she passed away in 2011).

Does he need to go? Yes and no. If he's instrumental in damaging the property by driving "too much into too little" then yes. But he has kept Spidey rolling and comes from a long-time Marvel history. Also, I think a lot of the Sony high-level Suits and Columbia Picture Executives are to blame. Raimi previously blasted the Sony executives in interviews for basically taking control of 'Spider-man 3' from him...and if Arad is falling in that line, then he needs to go too. Raimi blames Sony for shoving Venom into his movie when he never initially wanted the character in there.

:goodpost:

I think people are too harsh on Arad. We wouldn't have the landscape we have now without him so while he likes to make mistakes and lots of them I can't hate the guy

Thanks and I agree. A lot of people don't know he was one of the founders of Marvel Studios and was absolutely CRITICAL in getting Marvel to break through into the movie business AND pull themselves out of bankruptcy. He came on-board during some "dark times" for Marvel and helped right the ship. He's also responsible for some of Marvels GREAT movie and cartoon successes (X2: X-Men United, Spider-man 2, Blade series, Iron Man, and the X-Men and Spider-man 90's animated series for example). He turned the reins over to Kevin Feige who people praise as the Marvel Cinematic Universe genius but people forget that Avi Arad helped lay the foundation and even started paving the road (Arad co-produced Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk). Arad reportedly still helps Marvel with other projects as well and can very much be seen as a "behind-the-scenes" Marvel guy due to his longtime connection with them and his friendship with Perlmutter (Marvel's CEO). Arad's OVERALL body of work and successes outshine his failures, but it's easier to leap on critical mistakes and "failures" like Spider-man 3 and the supposed "bomb" of Amazing Spider-man 2.

If Sony can't right the ship, perhaps they should look to Arad to assist on bringing some better script talent on board and maybe reaching out to across his network in search of talent. Sony (and Arad if he's involved) needs to get their head on straight about developing a solid script not bogged down with too many characters or too much going on. It's simple and easy. They already have a great cast, a great director and an excellent crew, but they lack patience....something that DC/Warner Bros. actually seems to have learned now as they're taking their time with their own DC Cinematic Universe.

Maybe because I'm old (hell I don't know I loved the issues when I was a teenager) but can we scoot this franchise forward to where he's married to Mary Jane? Marriage is tricky enough. Plenty of Raimi-drama there. I would love to see the Gwen Stacy saga done right but it's just not gonna happen.
Been saying this since the end of SM3.

And not just newlyweds, like 10 years or so in.

Tried to watch this tonight. Weird that Spiderman is on the same trajectory as Batman. We have 2 solid movies....and then a rough slump. Hopefully there's a Nolan-era (not in tone necessarily) coming. This was a mess.

Sony gonna reboot with Peter as a high school freshman. They'll need to really dive into his origin and spend another movie explaining to the world who Spiderman is and what he does... you know, just in case someone who has been trapped in a cave their entire life bought a ticket and doesn't know who Spider-Man is. :lol

Back