The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? you work for sony and know that for a fact?

We don't know. and my prior post was more a what if/ how could they go about fixing him sooner rather than later concept.

But, we get it, you're gay for garfield. it's ok, you're allowed to like bad films.

That dosn't make them good.

Good-natured Teasing aside. you DO see the issues with the film, beyond just the marketing mis-spending, yes?
The Lack of a real, coherent plot replaced by " Stuff happening all over". The way the film feels more like a 2 hour trailer than an actual movie.

Yes, I'll agree it had tremendusly stunning visuals, nd Garfield and stone have tremendous chemistry, but that's really all it had going for it.

X-men first class was a much better picture.
Best Spidey costume yet onscreen, best Spidey visuals, and best Pete, all imo.... but you're right... Despite not having super awesome costumes, DofP trumped Spidey with a kick ass story, superb cast, and some of the best visuals I think I've ever seen. (QS scene, Blinks portals, etc...) I'd love to know how much of Spidey's bloat wasn't just Sony pushing their agenda onto Webb and the writers, guess we'll never know, but the introduction of villains en masse seems to be a forced agenda, not something that a good writer is just going to throw in. I think the term, if it could be used in a movie setting would be monty haul.

The Quicksilver scene was cinematic magic. Just beautiful, fun and brilliantly contrasted with the music.
The highlight of the movie for me. I really don't want to see another version of QS in Avengers 2.

I really enjoyed ASM2 on an entirely different level. It was a glorious nerd fest for Spidey fans without really ever becoming a proper movie. I know that sounds bad, but I just thought it was a lot of fun, and I was genuinely thrilled and moved at times. I had face ache from smiling at the web swinging sequences, it was like "at last they can show it the way I imagined it from reading comics when I was 13"

Surely that's worthy of any comic book movie?

x-men was great, striving to be a proper "film" and it was mostly excellent, but I don't think it's like for like, even intention wise from the film makers.

Last edited:
Cuz you said "youd never thought you see captain america and ironman trump spiderman in the box office"??????????

Ah, you were talking about how well Spidey does in other media, I thought maybe you'd misunderstood that I was talking about the movies. I don't know how he stacks up in other media, which I assume means TV and games, but if he has stronger comparative sales that just reinforces the fact that if he was handled decently, he'd be a larger box office force. Cinematic Spiderman needs a new bag.

Ah, you were talking about how well Spidey does in other media, I thought maybe you'd misunderstood that I was talking about the movies. I don't know how he stacks up in other media, which I assume means TV and games, but if he has stronger comparative sales that just reinforces the fact that if he was handled decently, he'd be a larger box office force. Cinematic Spiderman needs a new bag.

Your right. He does. Either that or a batman break.

Ehhh. you're CLOSE... but not quite.

Spidey is the guy who embodies the idea of " nice guys finish last" He does the right thing, he goes out of his way for everyone else, and no matter what, He just can't catch a break. He misses dates, he forgets birthday parties, he gets sick. Bad things happen, and no good deed goes unpunished. Stan Lee has said on several occasions that he wrote peter parker to be referential of his personal life growing up. and one of the importan things was try as he might, he NEVER gets the girl, untill it's THE girl.

Amazing Spider-Man 3 only needs one love story......and its not exactly a love story

Spider_Man_and_Black_Cat_by_PeterMan2070.jpg

Instead of seeing Peter always chasing the girl, it would be interesting to see him react to a chick that aggressively pursues him.

And are the movie versions of Parker still virgins? :lol Somebody needs to change that

spidermanblackcat10.jpg
spidermanblackcat11.jpg

I just feel like the "innocent kid chasing the love of his life" storylines need to take a backseat for once until he figures out what he really wants.

I want to know what the deal is with Marvel and Sony. They seem pretty chummy. Avengers was gonna feature Oscorp... there's whispers of Spidey in Avengers 3... Disney Infinity has Sony timed exclusives for some reason... Spidey 3 was pushed back...

There's something going on. But Marvel don't seem like secret people.

Thoughts?

1. But it didn't.
2. Those whispers were just a Marvel artists prediction, not even rumour and barely speculation.
3. Disney has a Merch rights for Spider-Man movies.
4. The delay hasn't been made official

My point exactly. I could understand completely if Sony gamers got exclusive Spidey content and timed exclusives...

But... this just doesn't add up...

Why would Marvel willingly aid their competitor?

From what I read one of the main guys at Avalanche Studios who make DI and one of the top guys at PlayStation were roommates in college and that is why Sony has the Collector's Edition Exclusive that includes the Hulk. Hulk will only be available in that set exclusively for 30 days. Afterwards he will be available separately. PS3 also had an exclusive playable character in Avalanches Toy Story 3 game, so its nothing really new.

My point exactly. I could understand completely if Sony gamers got exclusive Spidey content and timed exclusives...

But... this just doesn't add up...

Why would Marvel willingly aid their competitor?
Go back and read what Nova (uncannyetc..) wrote.
They're not competition, when Sony was considering folding their studios, they renegotiated with Dis-Marv prior to ASM1, in return for upfront higher movie profits for Sony, Marvel gets something like 95% of merchandising cash and Sony is paying probably 100 mil per movie made (royalty was 70 mil per flick in 2005, it's gone up, but I don't have latest figures). When Feige says that they have no interest in getting Spidey back, there's reason for it, he's not tying up a studio, and he's making bank for all the work Sony does.

https://badassdigest.com/2014/07/13/spider-man-no-more/

It's not surprising that Roberto Orci would be off The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (was he ever even actually on), what with Star Trek 3 being the big meal on his plate. But his comments to IGN about being off the series also include some weird comments about the future of the Spider-Man movie universe in general.

I don't know what their plans are for that franchise. I don't ever want to say never, but we have to figure out what their scheduling is in terms of when they want each movie. I've read probably as much as anyone else. There's a love for the Sinister Six, the idea of Venom -- there's an idea of Spider-Man's going to be one of these characters that's part of our business. He's such a popular character. Spider-Man's not going to go away any time soon. When it all happens and how and all that has yet to be determined.

There's a lot to parse here. We assume that Orci, having co-written The Amazing Spider-Man 2, knows something about the future of the franchise. That isn't necessarily true. We asume that Orci, having once been writing partners with Alex Kurtzman, who is writing and directing Venom, would have some inside knowledge about that film. Since the team broke up it's not a given that this is true.

So with those caveats out of the way - acknowledging that Orci may not have much operational knowledge of what's going on at Sony in regards to the Spider-Man series - it's interesting that he seems to think that the exact future of the franchise isn't yet in stone. Combined with solid-sounding rumors that The Amazing Spider-Man 3 would be pushed from 2016 to 2017 and you begin to see the outline of a franchise struggling to find its place. At the very least it's surprising to hear Orci say anything other than 'Sony has a big plan and they're really gung-ho about it.'

The reality seems to be that Sony is second-guessing their big plan. I think that the announced spin-offs are very much up in the air. I think that Amazing Spider-Man 3 will definitley take an extra year. What that movie looks like? It's anybody's guess right now. If you have some strong ideas I bet Sony would like to hear them.

In the meantime don't get too excited about the idea of Spider-Man going back to Marvel. It ain't happening in the near future. Short of Sony disbanding Columbia Pictures the studio will hold on to those rights with an absolute death grip. And don't place too much emphasis on the words of Orci; all this means is that Sony, realizing people hated Amazing Spider-Man 2, simply hasn't asked him to come back. There could be huge meetings happening in Culver City right now and he simply isn't privy to them.

https://badassdigest.com/2014/07/14...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

There is so much wrong with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 that it's hard to find one place to begin criticizing the film. The finished film has a weird quality that makes it feel as though director Marc Webb reconsidered the whole thing halfway through production and made a huge course correction, but an early draft of the script by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman shows that the film's problematical plot elements were always in place. But there were some aspects of the early draft that are very different from the finished film, and I wonder if getting rid of this stuff hurt the movie.

1) Mary Jane. As we all know Shailene Woodley was cast as Mary Jane Watson, shot some days and then was cut from the movie. The original script includes all of the MJ scenes, and she's introduced as the Parker's new next door neighbor. Her dad is an abusive drunk and she's a waitress who builds motorcycles in her spare time. She has a Spider-Man tattoo on her wrist, and she's clearly interested in Peter, who is totally hung up on Gwen. At one point Spider-Man confronts MJ's dad, telling him to lay off the girl. At the end of the script Gwen comes to Peter's house before heading to London; he's gone but she meets the new neighbor. They have a friendly exchange and MJ says that she always attracts ********s and asks Gwen what her advice is to get a guy like Peter. "Date a nerd," Gwen says before heading off to die, basically giving MJ the okay to get with Peter.

2) Electro's mom. In the script Max Dillon lives at home with his wheelchair-bound mom, who doesn't think much of him. He has to take care of her, and after he 'dies' in the accident that gives him powers he comes home to find his mom standing up and getting a big payout from Oscorp. He gets angry and begins using his powers, which is what sets off his confrontation with the police in Times Square, not a weird moment where he just starts sucking on electrical wires for no reason.

3) J Jonah Jameson. JJJ's in the original script, as is Robbie Robertson. We see Peter, who is a student at Empire State University, bring his first Spider-Man pictures to JJJ, who gives him a tour of the Daily Bugle. JJJ complains that the internet is killing the newspaper business; later, Spidey and Electro's first fight send them crashing through the Daily Bugle offices and the printing presses.

4) Peter's blood. In the original script Peter actually gives his blood to Harry Osborn. This is a huge improvement over the finished film, where Harry just injects himself with spider venom. In the original script the Goblin suit is better explained - it isn't for military use but was specifically built in secret for Norman Osborn. When Richard Parker wouldn't give his blood to Osborn (the Parker DNA still being the key to it all), the suit went into Norman's boathouse where Harry finds it.

5) Dr. Kafka and Electro's escape. In the finished film Dr. Kafka, the scientist torturing Electro at the Ravenscroft Institute, is a man. This is a genderswap, as Dr. Kafka is a woman in the comics - and in the original script. She is absolutely specified as a female character; why Webb chose to change this detail is beyond me. Also, Electro breaks himself out of Ravenscroft, and he approaches Harry Osborn at Norman's grave in an attempt to kill him. When he sees that Harry is now The Goblin the two team up.

6) One year later. In the original script there's an entire year gap between the high school graduation and most of the rest of the film. This year gap makes Peter's forlorn attitude towards Gwen cute instead of creepy, and it establishes that they're college students. This makes Gwen's application to Oxford make more sense - in the finished film it's like she decided to go to college at the last minute.

7) Dr. Ratha. In The Amazing Spider-Man the character of Dr. Ratha seems to have been killed in deleted scenes, but the actual movie leaves him alive at the end. He shows up in the script for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, filling the same role as Donald Mencken, the Colm Feore character. Basically having Ratha appear as the Oscorp stooge who engineers Harry's dismissal from the company lends a nice continuity to the film, which in many ways feels like a reboot of the reboot in the first place. All of the basic elements of Ratha's role are in the finished movie, there's just a different name attached to the character.

8) Little Spider-Man. One of the best sequences in the movie has Spidey helping a nerdy little kid who is getting picked on by bullies. That kid shows up at the end, in a Spider-Man costume, to confront the rampaging Rhino. That kid isn't in this script! And the Rhino barely is either; he's just a cameo at the end, with no connection to the truck heist at the beginning of the film.

9) The death of Gwen Stacy. It plays out mostly the same in the original script... but Gwen, back broken, hangs on to life long enough to demand that Peter never give up. Because this is the same character who promptly broke his promise to Captain Stacy in The Amazing Spider-Man, Peter quits being Spider-Man in the next scene.

10) "With great power..." The finished film has a terrible bit at the end where Peter quits Spider-Man for a bunch of months, and this time passes by in a montage. The same thing happens here! But instead of finding a tape of Gwen's super on-the-nose graduation speech, Peter is approached by... his dad! Yes, Richard Parker shows back up at the end of the script, and he tells Peter he's been watching him for years. He's seen him become Spider-Man and everything. It's Richard who convinces Peter to become Spider-Man again, and in his last scene in the movie he tells Pete "With great power comes great responsibility," FINALLY working the famous phrase into this new series.

Last edited:
Back