Survivor: Redemption Island

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to speak for jason2885, but the big difference I've seen with these kind of shows is more and more people using them simply as a doorway into the entertainment business and/or as a promotional tool for some business they're starting up.

So it's not like some office worker goes on Survivor, loses and then goes right back to the 9-5 grind.

That's the one thing about Rob that bothers me. He goes on and on and cries about how he's doing this for his family. I'm pretty sure his appearances on Survivor and the Amazing Race have treated him well the past 10 years. And if not, is he incapable of holding a regular job?

That's the one thing about Rob that bothers me. He goes on and on and cries about how he's doing this for his family. I'm pretty sure his appearances on Survivor and the Amazing Race have treated him well the past 10 years.

And don't forget that season his wife WON a million dollars. Not to mention they got paid for televising their marriage ceremony.

True, but we saw where 2 seasons of experience got Russell so it could have hurt Rob as well. Of course other than Grant he had no real competition on his tribe at all and had he been on the other tribe it might have been different for him.

Russel doesn't have the charm or tact that Rob has. experience is everything. things may have been different, but Rob still would have had those 117 days of experience. it was like watching a grade 12 student ace a grade 10 exam.

Let's not forget that CBS also gave them an around the world vacation when they competed on The Amazing Race. Rob has had it pretty good :lol

Redemption Island was not thought out very well as a concept.

They really make redemption island useless because by the time someone makes it back, they just get voted off.

What redemption island should be is a place where a new, bitter tribe is formed... maybe a challenge every third person so that you can keep the redemption tribe growing... then when that tribe hits five or six it comes back into the game as a new rival tribe versus the regular game's merged tribe.

What redemption island should be is a place where a new, bitter tribe is formed... maybe a challenge every third person so that you can keep the redemption tribe growing... then when that tribe hits five or six it comes back into the game as a new rival tribe versus the regular game's merged tribe.

Now thats a good idea.

Redemption Island was not thought out very well as a concept.

They really make redemption island useless because by the time someone makes it back, they just get voted off.

How about every week both tribes have to vote a player out, those players compete in the duel and the winner stays on redemption island. That way the redemption tribe grows, but there is still 1 elimination every week via the duel.

If you start with 20 players, by week 5 will have 5 players out. At that point we have 3 teams of 5 competing in now a 3 way challenge. For 2 weeks you have double tribal and 1 tribe winning immunity. Down to 11 players. Merge. Jury of 9. 2 Finalists.

The biggest problem with that is what does the 1st few players on redemption island do for the first several weeks before they get their team filled out?

Redemption Island should never have been viewed by the surviving members of the other two tribes. It should have been a mystery who was winning the duels until the person was allowed back (and it should have happened three times).

How about every week both tribes have to vote a player out, those players compete in the duel and the winner stays on redemption island. That way the redemption tribe grows, but there is still 1 elimination every week via the duel.

That's called MTV's Real World/Road Rules Challenge - The Duel.

:lol:lol:lol

That's called MTV's Real World/Road Rules Challenge - The Duel.

:lol:lol:lol

I know. Its a good concept, mainly because the teams can utilize a strategy of sending a tough competitor to the duel hoping they win. Though I know they usually send who they want to go home.

I'll say it right now I love RW/RR Challenge but not because of how well the show and it's challenges are crafted but because of the looney tunes morons that fill the cast season after season. Hell, I only watch the Real World to get a feel of who I'd like to get their asses handed to them on the Challenge at this point. Mixing that structure for the Redemption Island part and the Survivor model wouldn't work. It adds too many elements to the game because now you have strategic, social and then you add this which is it's own version of strategic and social but on top of it political. It doesn't even work now. It used to be that they'd strategically try and destroy the other tribe, sending powerhouses to take out powerhouses in the thought of getting the most money from the challenges. Whereas it has shifted to being a popularity contest of voting out who isn't in your clique and hoping that there are less members of your team to split the money with.

Voting out due to popularity would be the same as it is now. Having the competitor return immmediately would ultimately get boring as it is with the challenges now because they send the same person time after time until they are out

Yeah, I'm not recommending sending the winner of the duel back to the tribe, though I kind of like the idea of giving that winner the choice of where he/she wants to go.

It would be really interesting if the winner was allowed to choose between either staying alone on redemption or jumping to the rival tribe (with the caveat they are immune for 1 council).

That's the one thing about Rob that bothers me. He goes on and on and cries about how he's doing this for his family. I'm pretty sure his appearances on Survivor and the Amazing Race have treated him well the past 10 years. And if not, is he incapable of holding a regular job?

And don't forget that season his wife WON a million dollars. Not to mention they got paid for televising their marriage ceremony.

Yup, thats why I honestly didn't want him to win and if he did he'd go away. The guy just whores himself out and its kind of sad.

I don't mind that Rob is doing so many shows and stuff. Don't like him don't watch. Its no different than someone appearing on frequent episodes of any other tv show, like Gordon Ramsey, Drew Carey, Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, Bobby Flay, etc, etc. Rob is a TV personality, thats what TV personalities do. You know, go on TV. :dunno

I basically didn't watch survivor this season. Why? Cause Rob was on it again whoring himself out. Lets face it he's a TV whore. Difference between him and them is he was just a construction worker until survivor. Those guys are chefs, music producers, comedians, etc they are the norm when it comes to TV personalities.

If he's on survivor again or amazing race again I won't watch.

Good for you for taking a stand, but he isn't any different than any of those guys. He has a fan base, connections, and a developed skill of being on camera, and he's putting all of that to use, just like any of those other guys.

Being a chef doesn't magically make someone a tv personality like Bobby Flay (or even better comparison Guy Fiere or any of those Food Network contest winners) they got their feet in the door and they made the most of it. I may or may not watch his shows, but I don't begrudge him for making the most of his opportunities. Everyone would.

Being on a reality show (Survivor and the Food Network shows especially) isn't just like being on a game show. They have a lot of time talking to the camera, producers, etc. So they develope a lot of tv "skills" that work for other shows.

The idea that his place is as a construction worker and he should go back to it instead of doing tv is pretty silly. Who in the world wouldn't take the opportunity to be on your own tv show?

I would die to have a show hosting gig that let you travel and stuff.

Last edited:
:lol @ The Hate on Rob.

He was a construction worker but now he is a TV personality and has been one for 10 years. I don't fault him anymore than the MTV Real World faux celebrities that whore themselves out or move on to other things. There have been a ton of reality show folks who parlay their one appearance into multiple minutes of fame. At least with Rob it is localized in small bits and portions instead of let's say Snooki or The Situation or even some of the Real World castoffs like Blair or Syrus who end up all of the place doing anything and everything that is offered them.

Kim Kardashian gets $10,000 for showing up to a nightclub as an appearance a night. Literally $10,000 to drink, dance and lament at how busy she is to the three different reality shows that she is on. A sextape made her "famous" that she had worked a thousand different ways from Sunday to stay in the spotlight. At least they made Rob starve or compete for his cash all Kim has to do or Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie who get similar stipends is go to a nightclub for 100 nights sometime throughout the year to hit the mil. Then again if it wasn't effective or people weren't flocking to see it they'd be out of work and that goes for all celebs not just the reality ones.

Yup, thats why I honestly didn't want him to win and if he did he'd go away. The guy just whores himself out and its kind of sad.

yes, Rob's quote "i am doing this for my family" has got to be the most annoying sound byte of the show's run.

Back