Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts as well. I returned from my second viewing today. Some parts I felt were done extremely well, some I initially had issue with has lessened somewhat then other parts wtf.

I’ll never like the Finn / Rose Arc or the space Leia scene not matter how many viewings I attend.
Today i literally got into a debate over this film and tried point out to my girlfriend and telling my friend what was wrong with it and what it really should have been. I haven't talked this much about a movie in a long time and the thing is I don't hate it I'm just disappointed and was expecting it to be something else. Nothing answered or to move forward for the future I actually don't know where it will go besides Kylo Ren taking over the First order and the Resistance building up to finish them off. But so much unanswered and so many characters wasted. Wtf moments too just don't know I'll be rewatching it when it comes out on blu-ray and stuff at this point I can only speculate my decision and id hate to say TFA is a bit better because I didn't like that one too much but at least it felt star wars. This is a tough one and I hate that I cannot make my mind of this film and I'm going in a loop.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Saw Star Wars tonight and I will continue to see any others that come out but I have to say the definitive ending/canon to me is Return Of The Jedi. The Original Trilogy, Rogue One, and Prequel Trilogy besides its faults tell a complete, cohesive, and engaging story. I think there are many, many more great stories to be told in A Galaxy Far Far Away but this last movie truly should be The Last About Jedi.

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

The fact that BB8 was almost omnipotent was annoying also. How did he get up onto that walker for **** sake?!

In trying to pin down the directing style, Mel Brooks came to mind.

Then I remembered he directed Spaceballs.

Watched it last night.

All I can say is... I feel like I’ve been abused. My beloved Star Wars is turning in to some sort of joke. I *****king hate what Disney is doing to “OUR” once beautiful, ground breaking, aw inspiring set of films. OT always.... RIP Star Wars.

iJqed7D.jpg

Did anyone else wish Luke was physically there, at the old Rebel base on planet Crait?

When he stepped out through the hole blasted in the door, stood right in front facing all the walkers and Kylo Ren, I got chills.
The very intense climactic music playing also helped.

Coming away from all those blasts untouched first led me to believe that he was an absolute grandmaster of the Force and that he was about to **** up a bunch of bad guys. I was looking forward to seeing him in action with the lightsaber again. But nope. LOL!

I like what they did there. It was a good idea. But I wish he was really there and demonstrated physically what a bad@ss he is. :)

Same. It was my biggest disappointment as seeing him there was my biggest joy.

I also see what they did but would have preferred him actually there.

#FireKathleenKennedy is a thing now

Precisely that.

Still struggling through it. Can't wait for it to end. Thankfully only 39 minutes to go.

Worst acting I've seen in a Star Wars film since AOTC. And worst Star Wars film since TPM.

Carrie's performance is, of course, as bad as it was in TFA - mainly due to the botox that prevented her from speaking naturally.

In the rankings it has to be down there with TPM and the two Ewok Adventures.

It's a Star Wars movie made for the Marvel movie generation. A piece of hollow, shiny, loud disposable entertainment, designed to fill a release slot first and foremost, and that works only as long as you don't think too much about it, with precious little true ambition beyond that. To me, this is not a good thing, but casual audiences will probably love it, right before the forget all about it until the next one comes along.

It doesn't feel, to me at least, like something that was made by, or for, fans. Which is a great shame, because even when they failed, previous films at least tried to deliver on some of what fans would appreciate, in terms of the characters, mythos and lore.

It is what is is, and for those that are happy with it, good luck to them, but to me it just feels like a rather hollow and by the numbers cookie cutter studio franchise product.

:duff

That actually sums up the film...

So what? Its salt.. What did that have to do with anything?? Why waste my time with that. Nothing about it changes or adds to the story. Just like Rey and Finn subplots :lol

It was to show you it's not snow a la hoth. So not a retread.

Same. It was my biggest disappointment as seeing him there was my biggest joy.

I also see what they did but would have preferred him actually there.

Not only should Luke have been there, he should have been the equivalent of Goku in the Star Wars universe.
That would have been good fan service, unlike a lot of the fan service in this movie. Just dismantle all the crap in front of him, face Kylo, and he sacrifices himself in an amazing plot twist. That's how you make Luke die. Or you don't make him die.

How could they take the decision to not put a single lightsaber on lightsaber battle in the movie? That's crazy. They had the perfect opportunity to do it (well, in that context, because really Snoke should have still been alive and we should have seen Luke vs Snoke in either this one or IX), but they just went for the Force illusion instead. Wtf.

Best we can hope is that it maintains interest in the OT, and HT and Sideshow are encouraged to keep making figures from the four good films.

Saw it and am in the camp that thinks the critics are out to lunch. It had moments of good but all in all worst Star Wars since attack of the clones.

So if Luke killed him as long as he was awake, it would have been fine?

It seemed like your initial premise was it was out of character for Luke to kill his nephew at all, another family member, being that he tried to find the good in his father rather than kill him, when even his mentor (Obi-Wan) said there's no good left in him. Then when it was pointed out that he was on the verge of killing him, it moved to basically, well at least they were fighting and he wasn't asleep.

I am talking about Luke's reaction to the situation, Luke handled the evil in Vader ( by looking for the good) He sees the evil in his nephew and his first reaction is to kill him not help him find his way back to the light side - he is reacting out of character based on the few movies we have with Luke and how his character is presented to the audience - not the imaginary world of what if

Absolutely feel the same way.
Goosebumps all over when Luke appeared to face Kylo, then to realize it's just his "ghost" and then to have him in the end dissolve :thud:
For me this is the first SW movie i walked out totally dissapointed. And really gutted to see Luke end that way. (and because a few other things)

Scenes that bothered me alot:
- the caretakers on Luke's island : frogs with nurse costumes
- Leia who flies through space ..
- Adrian Edmondson as a First Order Captain (if you ever watched "Bottom", you can't take him serious anymore)

Normally i go and watch a SW movie a few times in theatres, but this will be the exception for me :gah:

Not only should Luke have been there, he should have been the equivalent of Goku in the Star Wars universe.
That would have been good fan service, unlike a lot of the fan service in this movie. Just dismantle all the crap in front of him, face Kylo, and he sacrifices himself in an amazing plot twist. That's how you make Luke die. Or you don't make him die.

How could they take the decision to not put a single lightsaber on lightsaber battle in the movie? That's crazy. They had the perfect opportunity to do it (well, in that context, because really Snoke should have still been alive and we should have seen Luke vs Snoke in either this one or IX), but they just went for the Force illusion instead. Wtf.

Saw it and am in the camp that thinks the critics are out to lunch. It had moments of good but all in all worst Star Wars since attack of the clones.

I don't know how anyone could sit through this in the cinema. I have to pause it and steel myself to go back and continue.

Never seen a Star Wars film where it's so obvious that the main actors have no wish to be there. They just want to read their lines and get out as fast as possible.

This thread might be last bastion of sanity in the world. :lol

Only real issues I had with VIII was Snoke and Luke's deaths. And they are big issues.

Snoke was a wasted opportunity for an interesting character, kill him off sure but at least make it matter - backstory and motivations anyone?
Instead they hardturn him into a Palpatine parody for five minutes before he's sliced in half. Granted in Jedi we knew nothing about the Emperor, but at least he had loomed in the background since IV.

Hamill really acted his ass off in this movie. He's among those few actors that can convey feelings just with his eyes, up there with Pacino and a few others. It's a shame his film career has not been as successful as he deserves, Star Wars aside. Kinda like F. Murray Abraham (Salieri in Amadeus, who at least got an oscar.) He has the vioce acting going for him tho.

Luke joins Optimus Prime back in 1986 as an interesting and loved character killed off just so that they can sell more new toys. During the final scene after he ends his astral projection the sense was that he was rejoycing in having helped his friends and sister, (and trolled Kylo) as well as joy from reopening himself to the force after decades. What a great setup for a comeback further explored in IX and ending the movie on a high.

What a wasted GREAT opportunity to continue telling a good story about a interesting and beloved character. Then instead he disintegrates on the altar of dollars - old characters gotta go to make way for new ones to sell toys of (Are people like us to blame here? :lecture :lol )

I wonder if this was the director's vision for the character or if he had been called in to a big boardroom with a mouse symbol on the carpet and instructed to kill off Luke.

That being said, the scene was beautifully shot and acted. For a jedi there are definitively worse was to go then becoming one with the force like Obi-Wan and Yoda before him. Loved Yoda's little scene, for that minute or two I was fully back in my old childhood livingroom watching ESB on vhs with my mom.

I think the original trilogy is so loved partly because Lucas wanted to tell a story. Even after the dollarshower and stumbling through the prequels, still his main drive was to tell a story - and that will always resonate better with an audience then just the desire to make money.

Only real issues I had with VIII was Snoke and Luke's deaths. And they are big issues.

Snoke was a wasted opportunity for an interesting character, kill him off sure but at least make it matter - backstory and motivations anyone?
Instead they hardturn him into a Palpatine parody for five minutes before he's sliced in half. Granted in Jedi we knew nothing about the Emperor, but at least he had loomed in the background since IV.

Hamill acted his ass off in this movie. He's among those few actors that can convey feelings just with his eyes, up there with Pacino and a few others. It's a shame his film career has not been as successful as he deserves, Star Wars aside. Kinda like F. Murray Abraham (Salieri in Amadeus, who at least got an oscar.) He has the vioce acting going for him tho.

Luke joins Optimus Prime back in 1986 as an interesting and loved character killed off just so that they can sell more new toys. During the final scene after he ends his astral projection the sense was that he was rejoycing in having helped his friends and sister, (and trolled Kylo) as well as joy from reopening himself to the force after decades. Great setup for a comeback further explored in IX and ending the movie on a high.

What a wasted GREAT opportunity to continue telling a good story about a interesting and beloved character. Then instead he disintegrates on the altar of dollars, old characters gotta go to make way for new ones to sell toys of (Are people like us to blame here? :lecture :lol )

I wonder if this was the director's vision for the character, or if he had been called in to a big boardroom with a mouse symbol on the carpet and instructed to kill off Luke.

That being said, the scene was beautifully shot and acted. For a jedi there are definitively worse was to go then becoming one with the force like Obi-Wan and Yoda before him. Loved Yoda's little scene, for that minute or two I was fully back in my old childhood livingroom watching ESB on vhs with my mom.

I think the original trilogy is so loved partly because Lucas wanted to tell a story. Even after the dollarshower and stumbling through the prequels, still his main drive was to tell a story - and that will always resunate better with an audience then just the desire to make money.

Listen... there’s no point delving deep into these new films. They are purely a vehicle for the Disney merchandising empire. Having a believable Plot and Star Wars “law” is now a thing of the past.

Oh I know. Not feeling any need to buy the new stuff, I'm mainly here for Hot Toy's take on characters from episodes 4 through 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back